Cigar Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a humidor...thanks Santa... and now I am gathering my favorite smokes to fill it. The question I have is this: If a Cigar comes in a tube or wrapper should I leave it in its package or take it out? Which is better or does it not matter? :confused:
Thanks for the Help...Smoke Out

I have gone to find myself. If I return while I am out, hold me till I get back!

·
Bacon Lover
808 Posts
I generally take them out of the wrapper, but sometimes keep them in if I plan on keeping them in my box for a long time - it helps protect them. Nothing worse than a great smoke with a cracked foot. Also, a lot of people say keeping them on slows the aging process - I havent really noticed this.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I know that this will make me the odd ball around here, but I had some 1992 La Corona Corona's that tasted richer right out of the celo and lost some of their punch after resting in the humi for six months naked.

Taste is awfully subjective, but that has been my experience.

·
Bacon Lover
808 Posts
even though I haven't really noticed a diffrence b/t wrapped or unwrapped, sometimes I will keep certain cigars that don't age well in the wrapper just in case (Padrons in particular).

·
Registered
291 Posts
I unwrap the cigars I put in my desktop simply for the fact that these are usually smoke within a few weeks and I like to just be able to gra 'em clip 'em and smoke 'em. On the other hand all the smokes that are in my cooler are in thier cello if the came with it, thats mainly because I'm lazy. On word of advice, I you find yourself playing with your cigars often, moving them around and such, I suggest you keep them in the cello to prevent and damage to the wrappers.

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
I unwrap all my cigars simply because they look cooler to me when I open my humidor! And tobacco smells a lot better than celo when you wanna take a nice big whif of that humidor candy.
SB

·
Registered
207 Posts
I tend to try to look ahead a couple of weeks or so, select what I anticipate to smoke, and let them rest unwrapped for a little while before I smoke them. I might just be neurotic, but I think it helps them balance a little better. Just a ritual, really, a gettin to know 'ya period!

woof!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Like Adam said, I like leaving a few in the wrapper for traveling purposes, or if I'm going out. They sit in a jacket pocket much better with cello on.

Also, I always keep my Opus in the cello b/c their wrappers(binder) have such a distinct smell/taste... I wouldn't want some of my stinky maduros rubbing off on those sweet Opus binders.

And just to confuse the issue even more, I like to take some cellos off b/c they look better in the humi, as another LLG had already mentioned....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chris M. What is an Opus, I have never heard of it, except Opus the pengin from Bloom County.

Right now I have all my Cigars out of celo, but keep the ones in the tubes because the tubes I have are all sealed plus...and this is a bit cheesy...they present better (in my opion) if I have someone over and give them one.

Reality is for thoes who lack imaginationReality is for thoes who lack imaginationReality is for thoes who lack imagination

·
Registered
718 Posts
Scuba Steve said:
Chris M. What is an Opus, I have never heard of it, except Opus the pengin from Bloom County.
Fuente Fuente Opus X. Very pricey. Some say overrated. I've never had one (although there is one resting in my humi now - need much better weather around here before I torch it), so I don't know.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like a lot of opinions on wether or not to take a Cigar out of the celo, I guess time will teach me. I did get an Opus from Chef Richard and in following Chris M's advice I will be leaving the celo on that one. So far I have all the celos unwraped but the ones in the tubes I have left in...takes a bit of room in the humi though. How good are sealed tubes at keeping a Cigar in good conditon? If they are any good I can take the tubes out and put them in another box and free up space in my humidor.

Smoke Out!

·
Test Subject
2,651 Posts
Scuba Steve Says:

"Right now I have all my Cigars out of celo, but keep the ones in the tubes because the tubes I have are all sealed plus...and this is a bit cheesy...they present better (in my opion) if I have someone over and give them one."

Steve do what I do. Take the good cigar out of the tube and put a dog rocket in its place, most times the mooch doesn't know the difference.

Jerry in Minnesota.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jerry I will remember that if I am ever in Minisota and you offer me a Cigar in a tube...:p Do you go the full distance and do a band switch. As for the mooches, I generaly wont even offer a smoke to someone I know dosent apreciate a good Cigar. When I do offer it is to someone who is worthy of a good smoke.

Smoke Out!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.