Cigar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently pouring over the "sophisticated," benevolent accolades of cigar smoking to my girlfriend, who is still a little skeptical of the whole cigar thing (she hates cigarettes) when she asked me the simple question, "Why does aging help a cigar?" I stood there looking at her with my simple, primitive cro-magnon brian spinning wildly trying to formulate the best lie I could. Finally I just stood there like the dumb primate I am and said, "I have no idea." Defeated, I knew I had to turn to Club Stogie for an answer. I read some old posts and saw that some cigars are actually worse with aging. What is the deal? To age or not to age...and why.

SB :confused:

·
Registered
271 Posts
From what I know from experience AND CS I know this. Most domestics are considered not worth aging, UNLESS they are a good cigar that is young (but years are not required) As far as ISOM's I know most age them, and it lets the blends within the cigar marry and taste on a better flavor profile. Also I know after years and years cigar lose the strength (nicotine and such) An old ISOM will still have good taste but not much strength...

...this all of course is what I gather, I could be wrong...

alot of LLG's know more than little youngin' me

Ryan

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have aged Cuban, Honduran, Nicaraguan, Brazilian, Dominican and other cigars and believe all of them have benefitted from aging. Generally for me the cigar is best right off the bench or aged for 5 to 7 years.

·
Registered
258 Posts
What i strongly suggest is, if you have a favorite or two, put a few away for 6 months. That is enough time to really notice a difference IMHO and then go from there. Most cigars benefit from at least a little aging whether it's to properly humidify them or let the flavors "marry". I put half of every box i buy away and try them in increments of say "3 months", i'm almost always glad i did:D . The stronger the cigar the more benefit of aging, again that is my humble opinion enhanced by experience and this forum;) :w .

·
Registered
76 Posts
In my experience, not all cigars improved with age. The ones that have improved are the stronger maduros and cameroon-wrapped cigars like La Gloria Cubana, Hoyo de Monterrey, and Dominican Partagas. The ones that did not improve were Dominican Montecristos and Don Linos. Cigar aging matter of personal choice and can add to the enjoyment of the hobby.:u

1 - 6 of 6 Posts