Cigar Forums banner

Time Warner 30 Mbps internet question

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  JustinThyme 
#1 ·
Looking to lower my cable TV / internet bill I called Time Warner Cable last night and asked them how I would go about leaving for another provider. They lowered my monthly bill by $45.00 with no contract. They also upgraded my 15 Mbps cable internet to 30 Mbps at no extra charge. I have not received the new modem yet and I am wondering if anyone has upgraded to 30 Mbps and noticed any different.

:smoke:

#2 ·
I know nothing about time warner but worked for a company that did Comcast support and live in an area thst uses suddenlink. Most cable companies are moving do all docsis 3.0 modems and increasing speeds. The BIGGEST problem is data caps remain the same. You really wont notice in regular browsing a difference downloads and streaming should be better but watch your cap or pay the overages.

#3 ·
Received the modem and it is faster on the speed test sites so far intense pages load faster and streaming is a breeze. I called TWC and they assured me that there was no data cap. I also have two Verizon 4g phones with unlimited date plans I managed to hang on to from the old days as a back up if TWC goes out. I can set my rooted android as a WiFi hotspot.

:hc :ss

#4 ·
Received the modem and it is faster on the speed test sites so far intense pages load faster and streaming is a breeze. I called TWC and they assured me that there was no data cap. I also have two Verizon 4g phones with unlimited date plans I managed to hang on to from the old days as a back up if TWC goes out. I can set my rooted android as a WiFi hotspot.

:hc :ss
Wow surprised there is no cap. I dropped cable tv for a few months this summer between me and my wife we flew thru or cap. We added cable back to save us the overages. I know comcast does the same.

#5 ·
I called TWC again and they assured me there was no cap. That doesn't mean they might throttle as some say Verizon might do. I know I use between 8 and 25 gigs monthly with Verizon since I have unlimited and have no slowdown periods. I stream using my phone on a Bose system just to use the data.

:smoke2:

#6 ·
I called TWC again and they assured me there was no cap. That doesn't mean they might throttle as some say Verizon might do. I know I use between 8 and 25 gigs monthly with Verizon since I have unlimited and have no slowdown periods. I stream using my phone on a Bose system just to use the data.

:smoke2:
The only provider I know that does not cap is Verizon FIOS.

TWC and Comcrap both cap you but they wont tell you that. Each model MAC address is monitored for traffic and once you exceed their value you get throttled. Back when I had comcrap only because they were the only show in town I had my modem unrestricted by an inside contact. Its unbelievable what lengths they will go through to tell you it is not capped including sending techs to your house that just do a quick signal test and tell you its all good. You can over ride the cap for a few minutes by resetting the modem but it goes right back to throttled.

If you have FIOS in your area no cable company can come close to competing with their speed. Cable companies advertise their fiber optic network but that has squat to do with your connection that is cable and shared with your neighbors. I went to FIOS and never looked back as soon as they ran the backbone in my neighborhood. I have the 75/75 connection and can download and upload to my hearts content at lightning speeds that always exceed the rating. Difference here is it is 100% fiber right to the OND installed in your dwelling.

Go to Ocala speed test and you will see the difference. Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Here is the test I just ran while my daughter is also streaming netflix HD. This isnt even their highest service but it beats every cable company hands down.

Ive been with them for several years now and they just contacted me for customer appreciation and gave me a sweet deal just to go back under contract. $95/month for the triple play with the 75/75 connection and all the premium channels.

#7 ·
Cc admits they cap now... they quit throttling a few years ago. Cable with d3 modems are better now and upgraded speeds can get you around 150 down and have been playing with 300 down in some markets. The upload is only a fraction of the down but really most people won't need it. Fios is not available in a lot of areas either.

#8 ·
Comcrap must be playing the market differently in your area, its max of 105Mbps down here and up is stil horrid. I know for fact they throttle here, that's how they enforce the cap. As stated before I know folks on the inside, I do work for them in their head ends, someone has to keep their UPS's running although if you ever saw the inside you would no longer wonder why their service is unreliable. They don't spend any money on up-fits or maintenance. One of the executive VPs in the area told me that 80% of their revenue is pure profit.

I do use the upload extensively for my photography. A couple of weeks ago I shot a Volley Ball tournament and it makes a huge difference when you are uploading thousands of 5MB+ images. It is a bit of a downfall that FIOS is not available in all markets. They are steadily adding to it but started where the population is more dense. Im in a very heavily populated area and was lucky enough to be on the front end of the backbone in the area. One thing that is awesome is During Hurricane Sandy I still had FIOS service even with no power in the county (I also have a UPS and 20kW permanently installed generator with an automatic transfer switch capable of running the whole house and then some), Comcrap was out for weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.