Cigar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this mentioned a few times, but what exactly does a tight roll do to a cigar? Does it affect the burn, the taste, both? How can you tell when searching at a retailer?

·
Registered
949 Posts
It is hard to tell a tightly rolled cigar sometime.

When in a tobaconnist I usually pinch right at the band and a little further towards the head to see if there is a slight give. Don't pinch to hard because you can crack the wrapper. Also a cigar can get plugged from a stem you can usually feal this when you pinch the rotate the cigar a little bit and pinch it again then repeat. You should be able to feel the hard spots.

Don't roll a cigar in your fingers It is just bad for the wrapper.

Sometime in certain cigars are just really solid. Like Padron Anni's. They are about the hardest cigar that I have ever felt but always burn good. Oliva O Maduro and bold are pretty hard too but should have a little give to it. If not don't buy them.

As for effect!!!! A tightly rolled cigar will sometimes burn uneven or slow or will keep going out. If it burns uneven it is usually plugged one the side that is burning slower that the other. Slow or keeps going out it is usually a real tight roll.

The draw will also be tight. It will be the equivalent of sucking a golf ball through a garden hose. It will also yeild a small amount of smoke.

The taste will usually be harsh. It seems that a tight roll builds up gass faster than a good roll. The gas will give a harsh taste to the cigar. You can tell ths by purging the cigar.

I hope this was helpful.

·
X Canadian
1,306 Posts
I've pulled a smoke from a box that has so far been good and you'll get one that plugs or burns down the side whereas the rest of the box was good. Sometimes you'll get a bad one. I've taken a coat hanger and run it through from end to end in desparation and that just makes it worse. If you get one thats plugged bad purge it or chuck it.

As for purging Kami had a point, a cigar from a good manuf that really starts to taste bad is probably building heat or gas or both. If you blow through the cigar and hold a lighter on the end you'll see a blue flame which is the gas burning out. You might have to do this a couple of times as you finsih the smoke but it does help. Careful, I burned the hell out of my thumb holding the lighter and purging, I got a lot of blue flame once.

Hope that helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.