Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
toe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's the tightest / hardest draw you've ever smoked?

I recently had a Carlos Torano Signature Robusto.
Damn thing was like a solid piece of wood.
So tight I could barely light it.
Trying to pull smoke out of it was like trying to squeeze water out of a rock.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine was a Cohiba Red Dot- Dominican, man I could not get that thing saty light for nothing. I gave myself a headache just trying to take a draw off of it. I put it down with about 3/4 of it left to smoke.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Navydoc said:
2001 RAFAEL GONZALES CORONAS EXTRA. Have a whole box.....I think I need to "poke" 'em....just can't be bothered right now. Anyone got other suggestions?
I tried leaving my DS´s out to dry up a little... It helped a touch.
Don´t know if this would be a good idea in your case though.

·
-
11,412 Posts
when i first started, there were a ton of bad drawing domestics, i can't even remember them all (it's been a while). now it seems the premium smokes draw too easy.

tightest draw ever? Mag46 i had in germany.

i know there have been a few cuban cigars listed, but in my own experience, the percentage of non-cuban cigars with bad draws has been higher than cuban cigars with bad draws. (i know that's not the question - i just feel that cuban cigars have a dark cloud myth that they're so inconsistant, and i havent' found that to be true)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
At the end of the cigar boom there were so many problems with construction that it seemed I was always having problems. I can't remember which one was the worst, I just remember around 97-98 I had more than my fair share of bad smokes.

Boy, things sure have gotten better the past 3-5 years!!!

·
Registered
662 Posts
man I hate tight cigars. I have noticed that most of the ISOM's I have smoked have generally had tighter draws... I have yet to smoke an ISOM that puts out as much smoke as other domestics I have smoked. ANd while you could taste some flavor... I just demand smoke!!! I don't like a cigar without alot of smoke... and the whole sucking until you feel a vain bursting in your forehead... I hate that too. So I'm curious.. have I just been unlucky with the 5 or 6 ISOMs I have smoked so far? None of them have really done it for me, mainly because they have all been too tight... they just don't put out smoke. Is tightness always a flaw, or are there people who actually like tight cigars???
-eef

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
eef said:
man I hate tight cigars. I have noticed that most of the ISOM's I have smoked have generally had tighter draws... I have yet to smoke an ISOM that puts out as much smoke as other domestics I have smoked. ANd while you could taste some flavor... I just demand smoke!!! I don't like a cigar without alot of smoke... and the whole sucking until you feel a vain bursting in your forehead... I hate that too. So I'm curious.. have I just been unlucky with the 5 or 6 ISOMs I have smoked so far? None of them have really done it for me, mainly because they have all been too tight... they just don't put out smoke. Is tightness always a flaw, or are there people who actually like tight cigars???
-eef
Apart from the one already mentioned by me my Cubans all put plenty of smoke and just the right draw...not too tight, not too loose. :)

·
toe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
eef said:
Is tightness always a flaw, or are there people who actually like tight cigars???
-eef
Good question. I'm with you.
A cigar being too tight is the single flaw which I have the least patience for.
If the burn is uneven, no problem, I just try to fix it.
If the draw is too tight, I usually just give up.

My second runner up for tightest is the AF Hemingway Short Story. I heard so many good things about this cigar, but when I tried it, it was too tight and too peppery - big disappointment. Maybe I got a bad one...

·
Registered
662 Posts
That's the same for me. I have heard so many great things about Boli's and PSD4's and both of those cigars I have tried and they were super-tight, weak and almost tasteless. Though the PSD4 came alive a little more halfway through... it didn't redeem itself and win my heart like I thought it would. I'm going to let the rest of my PSD4's rest a couple months before cracking into them again I think. I'm not down with the grassy flavor.
-eef

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
eef said:
-eef
eef, to me, your problem sounds like a humidity issue. Bad draw, no taste....that tells me your humidity is too high. I would suggest trying to get your humidity down to 65%rh...
That should help your draw and taste issues.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.