Cigar Forums banner

thoughts on buying online vs B&M

1K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  cartey 
#1 ·
Hey guys, im curious to hear your thoughts on the online vs B&M thing. for me i have at times been shammed into feeling bad for buying online, but truth be told if it were not for buying online, i probably would have been out of this hobby long ago. i have heard people say that the online dealers are hurting the cigar industry, but i dont feel that way. i dont see the difference in paying $6 for a beer at a bar vs $9.99 for a 12 pack at safeway. there is a market for both.

whats your thoughts?????

#4 ·
Hi Jason, Nothing wrong with asking a question that's been asked before; and I'm sure the links will give you more information about our members opinions about this.

Personally, I use both. For boxes of something I really like, I'll most often use the internet vendors if the price is significantly lower or if it's something I can't get at a local shop. I have a few shops near me that I like to visit, and when I do, I'll purchase a few cigars and accessories from there. I know the owner(s), ask questions, and sit down with some of the guys there to chat and have a smoke.

#7 ·
Since I live in a rural area, I avoid any guilt associated with buying online (not that there should be any guilt anyway). However, it is nice to visit B&M stores when I have the opportunity. I'm often surprised by the brands available at various B&M stores.

While on vacation last week, I had to look in one very small store that was located along the harbor. I ended up buying a Rock-A-Feller cigar (which I'd never even heard of previously). It's a new company, but there still isn't much to learn about them online. Haven't tried it yet, but it's at home waiting for me.

There are definite advantages to both. Online gets a better price, but B&M offers conversation and (sometimes) unique selection.

#8 ·
Hi Jason, Nothing wrong with asking a question that's been asked before; and I'm sure the links will give you more information about our members opinions about this.

Personally, I use both. For boxes of something I really like, I'll most often use the internet vendors if the price is significantly lower or if it's something I can't get at a local shop. I have a few shops near me that I like to visit, and when I do, I'll purchase a few cigars and accessories from there. I know the owner(s), ask questions, and sit down with some of the guys there to chat and have a smoke.
:thumb: +1000

If we didn't post questions that had been asked here before, we'd literally have nothing to talk about. Besides, there are often new developments and new perspectives on any issue.

I'm in the same boat as Dave. I truly believe that the B&M and supporting them is vital to the industry. Like Dave, I like to go in, hob-nob, purchase something I've never tried and see what's out there and selling. For quantity purchases, my economic condition dictates that I source online.

1-5 sticks, B&M

>5 sticks, online

#9 ·
I to use both Internet and B&M's to make my buys. I have just found a great shop tho that carries every thing I might ever need and it will be getting alot of my business from now on.
BUT these days with gas costing so much shipping is cheaper then me driving 1hr to the B&M. So it boils down to me personally wanting to support a B&M which employs people in my state.

#10 ·
I keep trying... Every month or so I walk into a local B&M, but I keep leaving dissapointed. Just this saturday I walked into a B&M that was haveing an event. 10% off on a box purchase, figured I might pick up a box of some cheaper smokes like Oliva G... WRONG. $6.80 a stick for Oliva Gs I get for under $3 online... Even with 10% off it is more than double what I pay... Can't do it.

#12 ·
Wish I can do what you guys do to support the local B&M but I live in the dreaded CALIFORNIA !!!

The state tax here makes it almost impossible. A single stick is twice as much in the local B&M if not more and a box sometimes is almost 2-3 times the price of online.

I love my local shop and have contributed here and there when stopping in for a smoke but I can do anything more than an occasional single and thats about it.

I envy you guys in states with low or no tobacco tax.

#15 ·
The only B&M around me keeps their walk-in waaaaay too humid. I stopped buying anything from them out of my fear of mold (spotted some on a Padron I purchased there last visit). Someday I will check them out again and see if their humidity issues have been resolved. As for now it's all online purchases for me.

#16 ·
The state tax here makes it almost impossible. A single stick is twice as much in the local B&M if not more and a box sometimes is almost 2-3 times the price of online.
Have to disagree with you there. I don't think it is the taxes, it is the local B&M that is deciding to set their prices this high. Last time I was in I asked if their was any wiggle room on the prices and I was told the owner will not allow it.

#17 ·
When I'm desperate, or when its a stick I really want to try, or a special occasion - B&M.
All other times it's online dealers.
I do try to support the local industry though as I have no idea how non cigarette sellers stay afloat.

Uh...well, I'm in AR and our tobacco tax is 68%! Freaking insane!
68%.....that's not bad. I live in Australia :p
Try ~$420 per kg. Works out to be about $4-$5 per robusto.

#18 ·
Let me revise that.

Don't get me wrong I'm not dumping on the local places I have been to as I think they are pretty nice and have a good selection. I have gotten a few recommendations on smokes I loved and enjoyed my conversations with a couple of the employees. I'm just saying that they are choosing to keep their prices high as they have enough customers with wallets much fatter than my own that don't care how much they charge. My 2 pennies.

#19 ·
I really don't think which state you live or taxations in that state play any kind of role in this comparison. Online is just simply cheaper but for trying new singles, the old b&m is the best choice.

#20 ·
I'm not one for supporting somthing simply due to tradition, so if it were just a matter of price I would quite hapily never set foot into a B&M. Fortunately some shops offer something additional that makes the extra cost worth it to me. For example, I can walk into Tim's and take half an hour talking tobacco with the owner and learn more about cigars than I ever thought possible. I can get his opinions on smokes I would never know to look for online and be pretty confident in the reliability of the responses (I like a store owner who will refer to a 20$ cigar as a 2$ stick in an 18$ box). It also gives me a chance to get a feel for the construction of new cigars before I drop cash on them.

That's the kicker though, competition being what it is, a store HAS to offer something to keep customers coming back. A friend and I recently went in to check out a chop we hadn't been to before and the proprietor acted like we were just disturbing him by wanting to check the place out. Consequently, despite his great selection there is no way I'll be going back there, not when I can find the same cigars for half the price and with none of the 'tude online.

But a good shop, with friendly knowledgeable staff is just a cool place to be. Sure I wont buy boxes from them, but if I'm out riding I really like to poke in and grab a handful of singles I haven't tried before, pet the dog, talk a little politics and then finish my ride. You cant get that feel from a website.

#21 ·
My local B&M is about 20 minutes from me, in a direction i never go unless im headed to the B&M or out to dinner near there. So i dont hit it often (once a month?) so when i do, i grab a single or two. The prices are above online, but not by much thankfully NH has no sales tax and im pretty sure the tobacco taxes are really low. B&M's are perfect for singles because a lot of singles are overpriced online anyway. For instance, I almost grabbed an AVO intermezzo tubo when at the B&M last time ($11.25) but wasnt sure of the normal price. Just checked on famous cause this thread reminded me.. $10.90 on famous.

They're currently building a lounge and stuff, instead of just being a store, so once that gets up, i'm sure i'll head over and spend more on singles than i have in the past cause i can sit down relax and light one up! (ive never been to a lounge and had time to buy and smoke one while there)

Another comparison of what i wont do at a B&M - overpay for stuff needlessly. I recently was in the market for a xikar punch cutter. checked it out at my B&M - $35.

got one for $27 including shipping from ccom when i also got a daily deal.

#22 ·
Puff one the greatest parts is no one gets chided for asking a question we have heard many times before. Plus there is almost always new info.

I buy from both but my big money now goes to online because Cubans mainly. One new trend I am seeing is B & M's like Old Time Cigars are having a presence online as well and Jonathan is doing it the right way.

B & M's if they would do this would get more from me, I now look and call Jonathan when I am looking for something and even if it's a bit more his great customer service will get my money. To bad I am not buying more nons.

That's my two cents :)

As always a good Question Jason and never be afraid of asking any questions within the rules. If people give you sh*t I am sure more than a few will back you up as Dave one of our finest mods said way better than I did as usual. But sometime I like to hear myself talk LOL

Dave

#23 ·
If I'm buying singles, I definitely go to be B&M for those, sometimes 5 or 6 sticks per visit.

I feel like that even just out of respect, I should support my local stores. These are the people who truly want to share their passion with everyone. Even though they know the business could be tough, especially with the smoke bans in numerous states and the internet giants competing, these are the people who stand up and say "there should be more convenient access to good cigars".

Here in the Washington state, the smoke ban has eliminated basically all cigar lounges and bars. And our local B&M store Rain City Cigar is the main driving force behind trying to lift this ban to make cigars exempt from this law. Whether it's for their own profit or not, you gotta give it to them if all cigar smokers can benefit from this. :first:

That being said, when it comes to bundles... I gotta eat too, you know? :nono:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.