Cigar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience buying Thompson Cigars? I just received an email with a good offer of their brand of smokes. Are they junk? This is my first post, seems like a great site

Thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts
First off Welcome to CS.
As for your question about the T place..
I personaly avoid purchasing through them because I have difernet cigar tastes - than the fare that they provide.
(Just my personal preferences)

Many many folks Like a lot of thier products and purchase there regularly, so its more of a subjective thing.

Anyway Enjoy yourself!

Hb

·
Registered
623 Posts
Welcome to the jungle!

My neighbor uses Thompson Cigar, but lately he's be having trouble with his orders. I had placed an order with them a while back and after 3 weeks I called. They told me the order was never processed and it was an error in their system. It's been 4 months and still nothing. I will never give them business again.

My two sense :D

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
Welcome to the jungle JFizzle, :w A fellow I work with keeps using Thompson cigars with the same results that cigartexan has had. He offers me a Thompson to smoke on occaision, but I'm kinda "smoke shy" on those thompsons'.
He lit one up the other day, a double corona size monster, it lasted a whole 20 minutes, with a funny burn down one side. Smelled OK, but that usually means...well nevermind, it is all in the palate of the beholder. What the hey, for only $40.00 for a bundle, give em a spin.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to T25C dude! I see that you live in my neck of the woods, we should plan our own little herf get together sometime, maybe at Mountain Branch restaurant -- I've heard (from more than 1 source that the owner is very cigar friendly).

Anyhow, back to Thompson's. Thompson's was my very first source of cigar purchases, and I still continue to make purchases there from time to time, but my palate has changed over the years and I now buy from other places as well.

So here's been my experience with them, I don't know what others' experiences have been like.

The Good: 1) They have a large variety of product that appeals to most American Palates; 2) They have nice combos if you want to try some new products or samples; 3) They have good quality humidors & I've been really happy with my humidor purchases through them (good craftmanship, good seal, breatheability, aesthetics, and price); 4) They have several brands that are exclusive to them, as well as several lines of Thompson's own brands; in general the quality is OK to good (can be variable), but for the price and having an inexpensive day smoke, it's quite decent; 5) They have a cigar club that include regular box shipments of a favorite brand to get you started and they do try hard on their customer service; and 6) You can find harder to get brands through them (i.e. Zino, LaAurora, Ashton VSG, Padron Anniversario -- oops! let that one out of the bag) -- they deal in enough volume & have an established reputation with most cigar producers that they obtain regular product in quatity.

The Bad: 1) Shipping is expensive and can be VERY slow, but if you specify 2nd day air (for an extra charge, you will get it w/in 2-3d max.), 2) They have on occassion placed an order for me, only to find out that they were out of it in inventory and did not notify me, but they generally made good when I called back to inquire; 3) They are a bit pricey especially for harder to get lines you might find yourself paying up a 20% premium over regular retail price, a lot of discounters can beat that price but may not have the selection; 4) If you're dying to try a new cigar or line that's just come out, other retailers will likely have it before you'll seee it in their catalog.

So there's a bit of a scoop for you. Hope I've been helpful.

You might also look into other major catalog cigar sellers like JR Cigar http://www.jrcigars.com/ , Holt's Cigar Co. http://www.holts.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/index.d2w/report , and FAmous Smoke Shop http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigars/cigarstore.cfm/.

Good Luck

MoTheMan

·
Registered
756 Posts
mo-
mt. branch is a fabulous restaurant. the sunday breakfast buffet there is awesome!
i play there all the time too, and i know that jfizzle(brian) is a big golfer also as i just played with him last weekend, so if you're a golfer also, mt. branch works excellently, and if not, it's still a great restaurant.
jimmy

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I know absolutely nothing about Thompson Cigars, but I couldn't pass on this opportunity to welcome you to the best bunch of LLG's around. Settle in and enjoy the ride my friend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts