Cigar Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have any of you guys smoked thompson brand of cigars and if so are they any good ,i was thinking of ordering some,oh yea im also new to the forum ,hello everyone...thanks

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Greetings new guy! I'm with Flipflop on that one although I don't think that the puke emoticon really sums it up properly - Back in the 80's we had a saying in Buffalo - Gag me with a Pitchfork!!!

Don't waste your money...

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Don't waste your money on the Thompson cigars, nasty.

Hang out here and read the posts. When you are done...read the posts some more. I've learned a lot since i joined.

With that said....

Welcome to the boards.

Where are you in VA?

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
I pmed you with some info, but hoopshot probably has it pretty well covered with the link he gave you. I've always considered MSRP to be the dream of some marketing, or salesrep. You might see it if a cigar is very limited, hard to find, or wildly popular, but Thompson seems to think that they can get it all day long. I guess they do, from some folks, just not too many CS members.
I occasionally buy a box of something from them if they are offering an inticing "freebie" along with the box. I am not foolish enough to believe I am not paying for the sampler though.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
BTW. As for most of the house brands. You ever see a cat cough up a hairball? ACK!ACK!ACK!
Any questions? :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with the majority on this thread with one exception. I tried the Amarosa Maduro made by Thompson mainly for the rare size that it was available in, 4x60. I thought it was a good smoke and worth the price.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1f1fan said:
Don't waste your money on the Thompson cigars, nasty.

Hang out here and read the posts. When you are done...read the posts some more. I've learned a lot since i joined.

With that said....

Welcome to the boards.

Where are you in VA?
im in stafford va past quantico...

·
Registered
394 Posts
herfdork said:
have any of you guys smoked thompson brand of cigars and if so are they any good ,i was thinking of ordering some,oh yea im also new to the forum ,hello everyone...thanks
I, too, ventured into Thompson land--more than once, I'm afraid to say. haha...

The smokes ARE good, however, for the neighbor who insists on joining you for a smoke with your buddies. Keeps you from having to give up the good stuff!!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Yo Herfdork

I bought the Jose Girbes cigars from Thompson's I think the Corona's were $30 or something. What a rip. They were under filled and for as long as Thompson's says they aged they were harsh.

I would rather spend the money on Flor de Oliva bundles. Maria Mancini Magic Mountains. And here is one that will make you laugh (or at least some of the others on the forum) JR Cigars has a bundle called Mr. B's They are a medium filler but wow they are great and they are like 12 or 13 dollars a bundle. They sort of taste like a Partagas Spanish Rosado. They are great for the mony. They start to get a little harsh about 3/4 of the way down and they don't purge well. But for the price who cares. BUt out of all of those the Flor De Oliva Torpedo's are my favorite bundle. I have a review of them in the non-Habanos reviews section. Oh one other thing. I bought the 300 count chest HUmidor from Thompson's It was a great investment great price and great quality. Oh just make sure you invest in s digitial Hygo and different Humidifiers. The one's that you get from Thompson's Suck.

That was just a side note. Have a good hunt.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am so surprised to hear that about the Mr. B bundles!!! I bought one at JR to give to my cheap-cigar-smoking Grandpa... I took about 5 of his and thought they were absolutely THE WORST! I wonder if we are smoking the same thing or if they are very inconsistent.... I kept a few to give out to nosy neighbors and co-workers at cookouts... Your post almost prompted me to give it another shot, but the sight of them brought to mind the puking icon! Very strange that you would experience the opposite!

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
I have some of the Phoenix Robustos that I got in a package deal. Through two layers of cellophane I smell ammonia, so I haven't been brave enough to open them. One of the online review sites has three people giving them an average score in the high 7.X range, so they can't be all that bad. You want a couple to try, email me. I assume they may be better with some humi storage.

I have also tried the Mr. Bs cheapo bundles from JR - 25 for something like 12-13 bucks. Not bad, I had one each of the last 2 nights and smoked one to the nub and 4/5 of the other. Pretty decent smoke, especially when you look at the price.

You'll find that Thompson has expensive prices on most cigars and they are pushy. They'll try to get you to join their mailing program and get cigars automatically sent to you. Don't bother with this, the cigars you want are cheaper elsewhere. Some of their packages are a decent deal so if you buy there to get a cheap humi with some cigars, blow off the guy who will call and try to get you into their exclusive 250 cigar club.

Sean

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Welcome to CS......and I second FlipFlop and everyone else that followed. There are much much better cigars.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
First, welcome to CS.
CigarHoss said:
The smokes ARE good, however, for the neighbor who insists on joining you for a smoke with your buddies. Keeps you from having to give up the good stuff!!
I kinda' agree & disagree with what most of the herfs here have been saying.
Thompson's was my first regular supplier of cigars. Currently I'll use them for something that's hard to find or the really cheap stuff (their house brand "Cuban Corona" isn't bad). I still stand by them.
BUT, if you're looking for more value, broader selections, and really good quality stuff in less expensive bundles, there's lotsa' other places to go. Just check what all te other herfs have been saying.

MoTheMan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.