Cigar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello LLG's, just received a Thompson catalog in the mail. Makes for fun reading, the hyperbole reminds me of the old Herter catalogs of my youth. Anyone remember those? Anyway how is Thompson to deal with; am interested in a humidor and some of their sampler packs. How does their quality and prices stack up to other vendors? On to other things,...just got back from a new smoke shop with a number of interesting cigars. Just smoked a Joya de Nicaragua, madura wrapper, very tasty little cigar, got a wife that lets me smoke in the house, drinking a Stone IPA, one of the hoppiest brews out there, watching LSU and Georgia on the tube. Life is Good! Back to smoking in the house, anyone have any experience with Sharper Image' Ionic Breeze air cleaner? Wondering if it is worth the bucks. Okay apes, lots to comment on in this post. Help me out. Frank B

·
Registered
76 Posts
:u :u Two points about Thompson's:

1. Their house brands are not too good.
2. Their prices on recognizable stogies are high compared to other sources such as JR, Famous, Holts, etc.

As for their humidors, I also have been tempted to buy from them. But, I have read mostly negative comments about Thompson's customer service so I haven't pulled the trigger.

The guys in the office gave me a Thompson's travel humidor filled with about a dozen nice cigars for Christmas last year. God only knows how much they paid for that!:u

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
drinking a Stone IPA
Is that a Stone Brewing Co. IPA??? If so, you are a lucky man. That is my favorite beer, ever. I live in San Diego and have visited the brewery a few occasions. Check out my avatar!

Thompsons house brands are crap. I ordered 1 bundle and that was it. No mas. I like Holts, personally.

SB

·
Registered
410 Posts
Its my experience that there are far better deals out there..
Im sure they have their following, but all my buddies arent any of their followers..
Hows that?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well, maybe things as Thompson's have changed, or maybe I just got lucky. I bought one of their humidors about 5 weeks ago...the Liberty 100 count. With it, I ordered my first ever boxes of cigars: 25 Fuente churchills, 20 Don Tomas maduros, and 50 Bohio lonsdales. The humi set up to spec rf in 4 days and has maintained spot-on 68% since. The smokes are getting better each week, although I was disappointed with the Bohios initially but they seem to have benefited most from setlling in.

The humi itself seals well and looks great for $89. Overall, I was quite happy, although I think the smokes I bought perhaps are a little cheaper at JRs and I will likely go there next. I stayed away from the basic Thompson packages that come filled with Thompson brand cigars since I only smoke 1-3 times a week and like to have better quality smokes. The Bohios were likely not the best choice, but as I said they are getting better...once I'm done with them, they will not find their way back into my stock.

Overall though: my experience with Thompson's was a 8 out of 10...timely, decent humi for the price, well packed smokes and they delivered within the 8-10 business days quoted....

Keep smiling! :w

1 - 6 of 6 Posts