Cigar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yale University Professor Harold Bloom, reacting to the voters who gave the 2003 Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters to Stephen King, had this to say:

"He is a man who writes what used to be called penny dreadfuls. That they could believe that there is any literary value there or any aesthetic accomplishment or signs of an inventive human intelligence is simply a testimony to their own idiocy."

I'm guessing he wouldn't have much patience around here for questions from newbies. And I'll bet his cigar reviews would be dripping with Madagascar vanilla.

Mr. Bloom's comments notwithstanding, congrats to Stephen King. I've enjoyed a few of his works. Guess I'm just an idiot.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Very Pomp-Ass. I think I just invented a new term...and i like it!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
there is a saying floating around the academy that goes like this (borne mostly out of sour grapes - we are award crazy):

awards are like hemorrhoids, sooner or later every a$$hole gets one

i believe this is what professor bloom is getting at :D and perhaps that would be a more appropriate LLG approach??

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
robmcd said:
i believe this is what professor bloom is getting at
Yeah, I could see that point of view. However, he does show just how sour his grapes really are: "[no] literary value... [no] aesthetic accomplishment ... [and no] sign of inventive human intelligence." Heck, I would argue you'll find at least a hint of those lofty literary gems in the cheapest pulp romance novel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts