Cigar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to go pick up my cigars that are getting in from Cuba today. They are bringing in my parents. Or is it the other way around? I can't wait to see what they brought me. I feel like a kid at Christmas.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
while you're waiting for your cigars, here's my miami airport story...

ok- i read the treasury statement before i leave for cuba, it says you can bring back $100 worth of cigars. i talk to people who've been to cuba legally... they say 2 boxes is ok. i bought 2 boxes and had them put on fake price tags totalling $100. the only departure from these rules is i still had a few singles i didn't smoke. i get thru most of customs ok- at the final stage, the customs agent asks if i purchased cigars. i said, "yes, $100 worth." she asks, "how many boxes?" i said, "50 cigars worth $100.. 2 boxes." she says. "you're only allowed one box." i said, "everything i read says $100, and i saw nothing about the number of boxes." she reiterates, "you're only allowed one box." and sends me to another line (ag check i believe). i'm thinking oh ****... next time i either buy a cab, or leave one empty box in cuba. lmao. so i go into the ag inspection line, they put my bag thru a scanner, no problem... i'm gone... i think "gracias señor," which is what the old woman sitting next to me in the plane said when we touched ground. lmao.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well here's the verdict:

A 5 pack of Romeo y Julieta no.2 (aluminum tube)

A 5 pack of Montecristo no.4

15 of some cigar "el credito" which my dad said my uncle sends me. Whatever even if its bad, at least its a bad cuban.

21 H.Upmann Royal Coronas (aluminum tube): I think these are machine made but I'm not sure, but they have a box code of JM NISU, which if I'm correct would place them in December of 1998. Over 4 years old, I'll take it.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these other than the Montecristo's. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated since this is my first real venture into Cubans.

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
I did a little research and came up with the fact that el Creditos were a Cuban brand from 1907 untill the revolution. But as for present smokes I too could only come up with the La Gloria seconds.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm with you, Rick! Wanna hear abt those El Creditos! Still, I wish my parents wd bring me back 21 Upmann Super Coronas from 98. Ricardo has been given a nice treat from his parents, but we gotta educate them before their next trip!!!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
A follow-up--it doesn't seem to make sense that LGC seconds out of Miami would have migrated back to the Isle, so I don't think we've solved the mystery. Ricardo, consider sending one of those sticks to Edisonbird for evaluation--not a mooch ploy, just a way of getting to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I talked to some guy at a cigar shop today that told me the "el credito's" were a "cheap cuban everyday smoke" and that they still make el creditos in cuba. No relation to the el credito that are seconds of la gloria.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts