Cigar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im considering trying my hand at puoe restoration, tried my hand on it once, wasnt so bad, but could have been better.. just need practice.

I found this. Might could get the lot for $10 shipped, good practice. Some verry cool looking pipes but dont know if its worth it, or if any would have resale value. I wouls wanna sell a couple after working on them just to brake even. Then keep the rest. the first one intrigues me.

This is what the poating states, in no particular order:

(1) NO STEM ITALY. (2) GENUINE FRENCH BRIAR SMOKAROL 29-AUG 10 1915. (3) BUYER (4) 22 GOLDEN TONBAR (5) SHOE NO NAME (6) BRUYER B EXTRA. (7) 2 NO NAME (8) ON BAND HALLMARKS AND LONDON (9) IRWINS LONDON ENGLAND. (10) 12 F PARKER SUPER BRIAR BARK PAT NO, LOOKS LIKE 48989 MADE IN ENGLANG 20 T. (11) BIG ONE ON BAND M&TIT ANCOR LION K. NAME ON SIDE CAN'T READ IT.

Oddly, it mentions 11 pipes, but 12 are pictured

·
Dastardly Scoundrel
1,267 Posts
At $10 for the lot, I'm not sure why you are even asking. Buy them. Or give me the contact info and I will.
Wut he said!

The brass capped/silver banded calabash can be cleaned-up very nicely. It would be an awesome pipe for general use & showing off.

That shoe pipe is probably worth a bit.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Oh, maybe I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that you wanted practice and to at least break even...
Might could get the lot for $10 shipped, good practice......I wouls wanna sell a couple after working on them just to brake even.
If you got them at $10 for the lot, you wouldn't even have to do anything to them to make a profit by selling them. They are worth more than $10 collectively as they are if they can actually smoke. That's what I meant.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, maybe I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that you wanted practice and to at least break even...

If you got them at $10 for the lot, you wouldn't even have to do anything to them to make a profit by selling them. They are worth more than $10 collectively as they are if they can actually smoke. That's what I meant.
thank you. That is what i was asking. If was worth the money.

If i was snappy, its a my bad. I had JUST got off the phone with some A-HOLE about a craigslist add, had me flustered.

To CWL, that calabash is freaking awesome. Wasnt sure if it looked like it had potential or not. Thanks for info. The shoe looks pretty good as is.

Im thinking i would sell a couple of the straight pipes as im not too big a fan of straight. But there are 3 there that i like, on top of the calabash, shoe, and two pictured with the shoe. The other 5 i would resell if they come out o.k.

Of coarse, the shoe would be gone if it did have some good value, i dont like it as much as i do a twin set of $20's. Lol!

·
Sot-weed Bohemian
8,941 Posts
Might consider $50. I suspect a couple of those are really nice pipes.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Might consider $50. I suspect a couple of those are really nice pipes.
If i had it to spare, i would. I been wanting a calabash for a long time. But i just got a few lighters too, so i couldnt go any higher.

The bid is over and sold for $56.55 before shipping. So i dont feel so bad now. besides, i got a nice colibri and 10 other older lighters for a dang good price. So i did get one deal today (actually. Two. As they were split up)

·
True Derelict
4,041 Posts
Even at fifty bucks+, not a bad deal.I have that "shoe"pipe. Paid somewhere around thirty bucks for it twenty five years ago.

·
Sot-weed Bohemian
8,941 Posts
I have that "shoe"pipe. Paid somewhere around thirty bucks for it twenty five years ago.
Amazing coincidence there, eh? :pipe: Wow, back when $30 was real money!

I'm betting a few of those were worth close to $50 on their own.

·
Briar Fish
647 Posts
Think the buyer got a decent deal.
- It's really hard to judge a Calabash based on pictures. . .the Meer can be really fragile, as can the exterior briar/gourd. Well restored, they can sell for $100+. But nothing in your description gives me confidence this one could be well restored.
- Irwin is a reputable maker from a generation or two ago. I could be wrong, but I think GBD made a lot of their pipes.
- The dated 1915 pipe could have been worth $80 or so, if it was in good shape and the date was verifiable.
- The pick of the lot was that Parker. If it truly has a patent date, then it could probably be dated either using Dunhill's nomenclature (Parker being the Dunhill seconds brand, for the earlier part of the last 100 years), or as a pre-Dunhill Parker. Either way, collectors would want it. Again, price varying based on condition. But I don't think $100 is unreasonable. (. . .full disclosure, my favorite non-mccarter pipe is a Parker from the 60's. . .that era is super popular for collectors of Dunhills, and I think there's good reason for that, given my cool-smoking, oversized "second").

Overall, that was an interesting lot of pipes.

If I was bidding I would have asked whether one of the straight Lumberjack or Billiard pipes was the Parker. If not, I'd pass. . .too many broken stems makes me suspicious that the original seller didn't sell the best on EBay, then list the leftovers.

·
Dastardly Scoundrel
1,267 Posts
I was looking at the Parker too!

FWIW, a second look at that calabash makes me feel that the brass cap is a replacement due to the original Meer getting lost or broken.

Oh well, I hope whoever bought them will actually enjoy them and not try to spin them on eBay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts