Cigar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three thermoelectric humidors and they all smell of plastic. I have cleaned them with baking soda, air them out all the time but the smell is always there. I'm thinking it has something to do with the cooling system that emits that odor. Bad thing is all the cigars, after being there for months, start tasting like plastic. It is terrible. Living in an extreme hot place, I feel I need to keep my cigars cool but if its the case that the humidors ruin the cigars, I would have to go with tupperware, even if the house is at 80+ temperature. Does any one have any experience with these?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Your ambient temps are much higher than what I experience and you may have done all this already, so the following may be useless.

When I did my initial setup, I did the baking soda scrub twice and left it wide open to off gas for a week+. I did the same for the shelves/drawers without the soda, after a wipe down with damp cloth. Once the odors had dissipated, I started the seasoning process. Perhaps going through the cleaning process again may help with your issue? You could also try placing a box of baking soda inside with the unit running (empty) until it helps eliminate the odor?

good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your ambient temps are much higher than what I experience and you may have done all this already, so the following may be useless.

When I did my initial setup, I did the baking soda scrub twice and left it wide open to off gas for a week+. I did the same for the shelves/drawers without the soda, after a wipe down with damp cloth. Once the odors had dissipated, I started the seasoning process. Perhaps going through the cleaning process again may help with your issue? You could also try placing a box of baking soda inside with the unit running (empty) until it helps eliminate the odor?

good luck!
Thanks for your suggestion. Is your temp from the fridge very different from the ambient temp? Im guessing the more difference there is, the more strain on the cooling system, the more plastic odor. I notice the smell the strongest when the fan is on and on the fridge thats in the hotter area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts