Cigar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only TV I've watched in years has been the Sopranos. A friend of mine told me about this series called The Wire, the first season came out on DVD last month.

Besides being from Baltimore myself and enjoying that, is this worth watching?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
hogg said:
The only TV I've watched in years has been the Sopranos. A friend of mine told me about this series called The Wire, the first season came out on DVD last month.

Besides being from Baltimore myself and enjoying that, is this worth watching?
The Wire is an excellent show! More like an adult version of NYPD Blue, but instead of being based in NY, it's in Baltimore. It's deep and hard to get into for some folks as some parts of the stories drift off and are never finished. On the other hand, the lead story, acting and sets are A+. Told from the point of view of both the police and their targets and distinctions between good and evil, and crime and punishment are challenged at every turn.

The main story line in the first season was based on street cops, surveillance, undercover (thus the theme, the 'wire'), trying to bust folks for drug involvement. The central theme depicted the national drug war through the microcosm of a West Baltimore housing project. Grade = B+

The second season chronicled the de-industrialization of America, focusing on the travails of a longshoremen's union to survive in a changing economic landscape. During the second season, the Wire generated wide critical praise. It was named Best Show on Television by Television Week's semi-annual poll of 50 television critics. Grade = A-

The third season returned to the theme of the first season as it continued to expand its sociopolitical desciption of a fictional Baltimore by examining the city's political component and its relevance to the problems confronting a post-industrial city. Factor in gritty, three-dimensional portrayals of reluctant drug lords, irritable corner boys, an addict with a work ethic and a conscientious stickup man. West Baltimore becomes an open-air drug market. The cops don't like it. Rival gangs mean escalating body counts and pressure from the police brass to get the numbers down. A division of detectives uses surveillance techniques against the drug lord and his street soldiers to build cases that had better hold up in court. 'Amsterdam' is born and the story lines are simply genius. Grade = A

I'll give this series a solid 'A'. one of the best 5 shows on TV today. As they say, if you don't watch HBO on Sunday nights, your missing the best shows on TV today.

PS the third season just finished up this past Sunday night. HBO has not said if it's returning or not.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
I have followed this show from the beginning and love it! Hopefully it does come back for another season or two.

·
Registered
132 Posts
seen a couple episodes of this a while back. have no idea which season it was or what, but it dealt with the cops and these drug dealer guys in some projects. seemed like a real good show...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sadly HOOKED.

Watched the first couple episodes the day before Xmas, and was back at the video store the next day, went through the whole season in three days!

The last couple of days has been spent trying to get a hold of season 2 and 3, I'm so close now I can taste it.

I need help
:)

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
I just watched an episonde with my brother in law over Christmas (I think it was the last episode of season 3) it looked like a very good show. I'll have to check it out.

seagarsmoker, I give your review an A+

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
hogg said:
I'm sadly HOOKED.

Watched the first couple episodes the day before Xmas, and was back at the video store the next day, went through the whole season in three days!

The last couple of days has been spent trying to get a hold of season 2 and 3, I'm so close now I can taste it.

I need help
Wooops - sorry I didn't include the word 'addiction' or 'addicting' or 'addicted' in my review! :)
:D

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
1f1fan said:
I just watched an episonde with my brother in law over Christmas (I think it was the last episode of season 3) it looked like a very good show. I'll have to check it out.

seagarsmoker, I give your review an A+
Thanks for the kind words. Great TV is like great cigars - passion!
Deadwood season one restarts on January 3 on HBO and season two on March 6. Another great show IMHO.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
seagarsmoker said:
Thanks for the kind words. Great TV is like great cigars - passion!
Deadwood season one restarts on January 3 on HBO and season two on March 6. Another great show IMHO.
The Wire and Deadwood are definitely two of the best shows on TV right now...along with The Shield, The Simpsons and Third Watch, the only "must-see" shows for me on TV at this point.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info. That made my day. I couldn't believe they would consider dropping it, those idiots!

·
Committed
3,712 Posts
BUMP - look, I figured out the search function!

Anyway, no link, and maybe it's old news, but I hear HBO picked this up for a fifth season, and it's supposedly the final season.

The 4th season was GREAT, but left so much open that I can't wait not. This is one of my favorite shows, if not my favorite. If anyone hasn't seen it, definitely rent season one and give it three or four episodes. What has been said is true, it's addicting!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.