Cigar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now for the unmentionable topic. What is the best way to handle cigar breath? After tongue scrapers and mouthwash, Saint Nicotene always seems to pop up. Best remedy?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't know if there is a remedy for it but i do know one thing...when my wife quit smoking i realized that nicotene was the least of my worries:pu ;) :D .

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
Lamar you've hit on a topic that has crossed my mind a lot lately. I've tried some different mint's (designed for smokers breath) and various gums...they just kinda mask the breath. I'll list my 3 phase attack on smokers breath.

1. Brush the teeth, tongue and upper mouth
2. Floss
3. Gargle, with anything to rinse out the smokehole!

I've found a new toothpaste that works a little harder on cleansing, it is AquaFresh Extreme Clean, has all these little bubbles that seem to jet around. Micro Active Foaming Action is what it says on the label.

Also drinking tea while I smoke helps a bit. Problem is, I'm not a tea dude. Hey, remember that old George Carlin bit, " I've smelled bad breath before Madge, but you could knock a buzzard off a crap wagon"!
:r

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've heard that rinsing one's mouth out with baking soda water will do the trick on garlic breath. It does seem to work for that purpose, if you use enough baking soda. Haven't tried it on cigars yet. No one really cares if my breath smells like cigar smoke (I kind of like the lingering flavor anyhow). That's one of the little niceties that comes with being a bachelor. :p

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hmmm. I usually don't worry about cigar breath until the next day. Probably the most pleasant way I get rid of cigar breath is a good strong cup of fresh coffee in the morning. Coupled with normal brushing, flossing etc this works most of the time.

I like to use food to mitigate the effects of an evening of smoking. I've noticed that spicy food (Indian, Thai, Mexican etc.) sometimes gets rid of the "cigar hangover". It doesn't work all the time. A favorite remedy of mine is eating very strong garlic bread (in the Eastern European sense with raw bits of garlic sitting atop a thin layer of butter on some good dark rye). Then there's the tobacco-breath-nixing omlette that I make with dill weed, black pepper, onions, minced garlic and small slices of sausage. Fried sausage seems to do the trick too.

When I'm not in the mood to bombard my poor mouth with the garlic treatment, there's always a vigorous brushing of the tongue and prolonged gargling with mouthwash. I've found chewing gum to be helpful also.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Brushing thoroughly, teeth, gums, and of course the tongue at least 4 minutes with a good toothbrush or one of those electric toothbrushes (I use the Braun model). Then gargle with a mint mouthwash like Scope or Listerine. This seems to work for me 80% of the time.
:w

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Henry Clay Smoker's Mints are a good quick fix.
But as for the next morning, I do a quick brushing of the teeth first thing in the morning, yes it's a hasstle getting out of bed, but my sig other never minds kissing me in the morning.

MoTheMan

·
Registered
76 Posts
:u Eat an apple or some chocolate. Or an apple followed by some chocolate. Works for me.:u

·
Registered
42 Posts
i just brush and do mouthwash. if it's still bad don't kiss me!:D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, as my bro JJ said, that is one of the niceties that comes from being a bachelor. Eclipse gum seems to work as a quick and sometimes lenghty fix. Booze, like Jack Daniels also seem to work and give you that nice, drunk breath! LOL

:pu Love that smiley!

G

·
If it's before I go to bed, it's brush, mouth wash, brush. I like to take a shower and wash my hair and beard. If it's in the middle of the day, I chew a piece of gum and keep moving.:cool:

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
One of my coworkers who does not exactly appreciate cigars told me that "cigars are breath fresheners for those that eat shit".

For some reason I like that saying...almost as much as I like cigars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts