Cigar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have discovered, over 40 years of cigar smoking, another foolproof way of evaluating the quality of a cigar. The great cigars that I have smoked -- Cuban Cohibas, Davidoff Gran Crus, The Padron line, even the Por Larranaga, et al -- do not make me want to spit. However, when smoking other cigars of lesser quality, I have found the urge to spit comes earlier in the smoking process, and it comes more often. I love science :razz:

· the fiend Davy Jones
2,879 Posts
Scott's right...very interesting...and like him, I'm not much of a spitter (neither is mrsreindeer......) but I have noticed sometimes, the need to spit...that I produce more saliva with some cigars...not quite sure why that is....I think maybe it's more the rich & full-bodied cigars...maybe more nicotine in there that whets my saliva producers...than the better cigars over the cheaper...are you smoking more full-bodied smokes these days?

· Hand me a Bolivar
8,792 Posts
Scott's right...very interesting...and like him, I'm not much of a spitter (neither is mrsreindeer......) but I have noticed sometimes, the need to spit...that I produce more saliva with some cigars...not quite sure why that is....I think maybe it's more the rich & full-bodied cigars...maybe more nicotine in there that whets my saliva producers...than the better cigars over the cheaper...are you smoking more full-bodied smokes these days?
Does the Mrs. have a younger sister?

· Registered
326 Posts
When I first started smoking I felt the need to spit quite a bit. Not until I had my first RyJ that I realized halfway through it that I wasn't feeling the need to spit. That's when I first really started enjoying cigars.

:ss :w :ss

· Registered
395 Posts
I thought I was the only one who spit while smoking a cigar. When Im outside, I want to spit while smoking a cigar. It doesn't bother me so much while I'm inside.

Ok..who's going to design a spittoon for us Cigar smoking spitters?? :rotfl:

* Can we get a smilie that spits..for us spitters?" :razz:

· Registered
8 Posts
It just so happens last night I was smoking a new cigar ( to me it was new) , I did the calculation and each cigar comes out to $1.32 from the bundle -- so it is relatively cheap . And i am not a spitter ...but this cigar had me spitting quite a few times...lets just say i turned it off half way

· Registered
440 Posts
Re: !Q

I never spit, I even swallow the small pieces of tobacco that come off the cut end once in a while.
I agree, I never spit. Spitting is a feeble attempt by the wus to look manly, real men just swallow. Honestly, it may be from some mineral from the soil, or the nicotine. Suspect it is the nicotine that urges some to spit. My grandfather used to smoke cigars continuously all day, and half the time had a plug of Brown's Mule in his jaw. Never saw the man spit. Am guessing it is a genetic high tolerance to nicotine.

· Registered
172 Posts
For me its a seasonal thing, in the summer, I never feel the need to spit, in the winter (smoking outside in the cold) I feel the need to spit, this may have to do with taking in warm smoke while the surrounding air is cold some kind of micro condensation taking place? maybe?

· Götterdämmerung
1,734 Posts
The only cigars that have ever posessed me to spit have been Swisher Sweets and Phillies. I'm not even kidding; I've never ever once felt the need to spit when smoking any cigar branded "premium."

· A Very Prickly Puffer
2,223 Posts
I only spit when I am smoking a cigar that I am not enjoying. I think I spit to try to get that horrid taste from my mouth. On the other hand, if I deem the cigar as a tasty morsel, then I usually swallow the juices.

· Registered
21 Posts
I found this funny as hell, Lucky man. :biglaugh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.