Cigar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the man most responsible for political reform in the Eastern Bloc, aka New Europe and Russia. He was truly a figure who demanded humankind's attention. From where I sit, he was a truly great man. We were lucky to have known him during the time of his life. Not trying to be melodramatic here, but the person chosen as the new leader of the largest sect of Christianity has a helluva job in front of him.

·
Registered
290 Posts
When John Paul II was chosen as Pope, I was about 15. It will be interesting to see who "they" pick next.

Also, it's unfortunate that JP II will forever be linked (by circumstance) to Terry Schiavo.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
He was a geat man & will be missed.

May he rest in peace.

OK, and no more lawyer jokes. :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
slowhand said:
Huh? Please explain. Unfortunate in what way???
Because instead of focusing on all that he did, most people will remember that he died within a few weeks of another person on a feeding tube - and the big debate was whether or not to pull her plug.

Yet, at roughly the same time, the Pope was placed on the exact same type of tube, although for a shorter time and a different reason. If he had survived for any length of time in that condition, the debate would have certainly gotten to the point of comparison.

You'd be surprised how history jumps on those kinds of coincidences.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
people in the church already have... you're right, it's unfortunate in many ways, and yet, maybe because of that Terry will never be forgotten? That could be interesting and appropos, he was always the champion of underdogs.

If you're the praying type, please keep the cardinals in your prayers when they do begin the conclave - this could go either way and be the dawn of a new age for the church or it could send us backwards into pre-vatican theology. Frankly, I'm scared stiff.

JPII was an incredible leader, they're already calling him John Paul the Great. He did a lot of good in the world, but I also look toward a new era of the church, so it's a bittersweet passing.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Totally unrelated. The Pope had a Dobhoff (naso-gastric) type tube inserted to assist his caloric intake. Ms. Schaivo's tube was a straight gastric tube, surgically inserted as a primary method of life support.

The only connection is the timing. The Pope was the head of a world religion, who had a significant impact on the shape of the geo-political map we see today. The Terry Schiavo case, not to belittle her life, was a private family affair with minor political ramifications FOR THE US, blown out of proportion by the media.

There will not be a historical connection.

I'm finding it hard to pray for him, however. I mean, if there's someone who's got a pretty certain place in Heaven, he's it. May he rest in peace, and may the Lord bless him and keep him.
S.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.