Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been covered in a thread in "Everything but Cigars" but the thread seemed to sink towards the bottom, so I thought I'd start out fresh here. Also I think this forum is more fitting for the subject.

I still have a imageproblem when browsing clubstogie.
It has gotten better, but not much.

Here's my data so far:

Computer Setup 1 (desktop)
WinXP Home (Swedish) SP 2
- IE 6.0.2900 (Swedish) and FF 1.0 (English)
Running Googlebar and Norton Internet Security with Adblocker
Accessing cable through a dlink router w fw.

Computer Setup 2 (laptop)
WinXP Pro SP 1 and IE6.0.2800 (English versions)
Running Googlebar & Symantec AV
Accessing from the office LAN or sharing the cable connection at home using VPN to access work.

The network setup for me seems to be ok, since my laptop shows all images both when I browse CS from work, through VPN or without VPN (thus sharing the same setup as my desktop)

I also tested shutting down the adblocker part of NIS but still nothing.
Although when I shut down NIS completely all images show up just as intended... but I'm not really comfortable without my security.

It seems as if images that are not hosted at Clubstogie works (regardless of NIS), and also that images stored at CS that do not have a traditional image suffix show up as well (like the avatars, where the code calls a php rather than a gif).

PDS, could you explain a bit about was changed after the downtime?
I'm a bit at a loss as where to start fiddling with NIS in order to get things to work (and I'd guess I'm not the only one)

All tips appreciated!

PS
I also realized that I get an page error in line 248 char 3: "google_ad_width" is not defined. Might be a related thing, right?
DS

(edit)
Time for me to stop trying to understand this and leave it to the pros.
Can anyone else that has the imageproblem test something for me??
I need to make sure I'm not going bananas here.

- Click Reply in this thread.
- Once the reply page is up, click back so you end up in the thread again.

Do you see any images on the page now?
For some odd reason they turn up for me if I go back from either the edit or reply pages, but if I refresh the page once I'm back.. all images disappear...

(/edit)

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Pretty much everything Paul. The online/offline image, the RG icon, the report bad post icon, the bananas icon, the new post icon, all images in the galleries, smilies, etc. Pretty much the only thing that shows up are the avatars.

Hell, even the CS logo on the main page doesn't show up. I tried lowering the firewall protection on my home computer but it didn't make a difference.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Okay that helps. Basically you guys are not able to pull up the images stored in the /images_vb3/ folder off the server. I'm not insisting it isn;t on our end, and I can see them on the five different computers I tested, sop I am not sure what to say. I'll go back to the manufacturers forums and see if other owners of the software are having this issue.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
LasciviousXXX said:
Thanx PDS, you're always so damn helpful :D

Its weird that it works for me at work but not at home :confused:
I have a hunch something in NIS or a similar piece of software may be blocking them. There are no other reports of this at the manufacturer site. We'll figure it out!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
pds, I've been seeing the same problem since the migration, only at home. I do use NIS and have not tried disabling it. Will give that a try tonite.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for taking a look at this.

What's confusing me is the fact that the images turn up as broken links. Ususally when images are blocked by the adblocker functionality, the space just turn up blank, but now I see the dreaded red "x" everywhere.

I've been playing around with NIS a lot this afternoon, and I might be on to something. It does not make much sense, but none the less.

In NIS you have am option called Privacy (I guess.. I have a swedish version, so you'll have to use your imagination if my back translations are wrong).

I have my privacy level set to medium.

You also have a button labeled "advanced". Click that and you'll get a long list of sites and the settings for all of them. Most goes by default setting, but you can override the settings for specific sites.

I added CS to that list and made a few tests:

Apparently the one thing that causes the images not to show up is if I block the info about previously visited webpages. If check the allow checkbox for that option everything works fine.
Quite interesting since I can block both scripts and info about my browser and still have everything to work properly.

Paul, is there a chance that there are some kind of prevention functionality for external linking (bandwidth theft) to the images that has gone haywire?
(just grasping for straws)

Oh well.. time to dig into the humi- or coolerdor and find me a nice friday evening smoke... :z

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Not sure. I forwarded this post to our hosting company, and they are going to take a look and see if this is at their end. I find it real interesting that this started happening after the outage they had a couple days ago.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Do the graphics for "Arcade Records" show up on those users that hold them? The graphics I am talking about are by their avatar?

·
-
11,412 Posts
i don't think they do, but i can't remember.

but i havent' changed any settings on my laptop or home computer, and now NEITHER of them get images at all. no smilies, photo gallery, buttons, nothing.

but here at work, the only problem i have is when i reply to PMs, i get a "debug" popup, which never happened until recently as well. and the "done, but with errors" in the status bar when i PM.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have not changed anything since the outage either so something must have changed.

If I enable the blocking of "visited websites" in NIS the arcade images become broken links as well...

Basicly, anything that is called and has a gif or a jpeg suffix hosted on clubstogie is a no-show.

If there has been no changes to the site, my tech-challenged mind tells me that the host has to have done some change..

sometimes I wish I had the knowledge of my team.. but I guess they would write me off as totally nuts if I called them with a private issue like this on a friday night..

I'll check with my tech-obsessive extraordinaire on Monday when I'm back at the office to see if he's got any thoughts on the subject.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
OK, turning off NIS and hitting reload, everything ig good. In fact, now, all graphics that were on that page are now visible (they are in my cache now). Graphics not in my cache are the red-X. Arcade high scores are included in this (red-X unless they are in my cache). I also did not change any settings and all was OK until the migration...

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
The only way I've found to get the graphics back is to turn off my firewall software. Otherwise, nothing.

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
Fixed mine. (Zone alarm pro) Messed with every custom rule - no change. Monitored IP's as moving thru pages. No luck. Set cookie control to allow those nasty tracking site cookies and whammo things worked fine. Gonna go check and see what is actually being set while on the site now. It deifnately is some new cookie routine which must be present for pics to show.

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
Update.

Found the specific rule for CS and allowed private headers. Seemed to fix all problems. If you block 3rd party cookies or disable web bugs the pics dont show if your blocking the privat headers. Curious that this changed. PDS did you sign up for some new tracking service? Or did your hostng service decide to track things more specifically?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.