Cigar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it happened. We have a new stogie smoking actor-governor. Only in California. I'm glad it's all over. We'll wait and see what happens but maybe that 50+% CA cigar tax will be lessened (not to mention the 300% increase in car registration tax). One can only hope.

SB

·
Registered
139 Posts
You are now in the New Republic of Kennefornia. :r
Or is that Calikennedy? :al :al :al
I appoligize to all you So-Cal guys for my sick humor, so let's go with Arnies new name...Collie-fornia. :r :r :al :al :al

·
Registered
438 Posts
i'm a big fan of arni... but considering i doubt his daily smokes from from anywhere other than the great island that is som.... i imagine the tobacco tax will stay.

lol. hopefully your other taxes will drop though! as an ex-cali myself... i keep close tabs on things down there and i'm very excited for you guys now with arni in there.

G

·
CA,

50% cigar tax in Collie-fornia? Holy Crap! At that rate, I'd be stuck with El Producto's.

Hopefully Ahhhnold will help y'all out with that.

(BTW, Va cigar tax, 0%. I feel your pain.)

-Nero

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bullet dodged

Yup, our tobacco taxes in Cali are out of control, 3rd highest in the nation. I don't know what state has the highest but ours is right up there. Bustamante wanted to raise taxes on both tobacco AND alcohol!!!! That would've royally sucked. Now I can drink :al and smoke :w in peace with Arni in office. Personally, if we don't watch out, we could be taxed out of a lot of our liberties. I think alcohol is the next to get the hell taxed out of it. :sb I'll step down now.
SB

·
Registered
21 Posts
California is pretty bad at 48%, but i believe that it's Washington that has the worst at 129% (might not be correct, shitty memory :)

I wasn't aware that there was a state that had 0% though. i thought Virginia was 7%?

Vic

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
holy crap

I just read that there's a bill being presented to raise the tobacco tax to 150%! I just wrote my assemblyman. Save us Arnold!

SB

:fu taxes!

G

·
Nope, Va's rate is 0%. Cigarette tax is only 2%. Guess that's what happens when Marlboros are made right accross the river from the state Capitol.

-Nero

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
Vikder said:
California is pretty bad at 48%, but i believe that it's Washington that has the worst at 129% (might not be correct, shitty memory :)

Vic
Vic, Up here in Wa. it is even worse than 129%, once it is all funneled down it is 150%! The average price for a single is $6 to $15. I know of no one who buys cigars on a regular basis in a Local Cigar Shop. Seattle does have 6 really good smokeshops. You just have to be quite wealthy to frequent them.

California is the 6th largest economy on Planet Earth! I hope this turns out better than Planet Hollywood. Arnold is a motivating force. Change will soon be upon the Golden State. If only we could get a Governor with some nads up here in the NW!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hmm... I know that I take the unpopular view here, but states have to raise revenue and provide services somehow. I love to smoke fine cigars and shell out the cash for it, remembering that it's a luxury and not a necessity. I'm pragmatic enough to realize that the money will come out of my pocket one way or another, and it's a lot easier to control the flow of money out of my pocket through a cigar tax than it is through property or income taxes.

Here in Oregon, our local politicians haven't shown any nads in years. As soon as they do (and they just did), they're castrated.... I've determined that we just don't like politicians with balls.

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Talk about a slippery slope...I knew I shouldn't have brought up politics on Club Stogie. :u

1 - 11 of 11 Posts