Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 1486 Posts

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
29,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got many P.M's about this after my post about a seized package started to answer a few. I think this is easier long story short!

You do nothing its a Customs letter! It tells you they have seized your package. And they give you a form to dispute it if you can prove its not of Cuban origin. Which you can't because it is, so they keep it end of story. The fine letter is the OFAC letter i got one years ago. A vendors records where compromised through the payment processor.
He cooperated with the Govt and gave everyone up. Cost me $1,500!

:painkiller::painkiller::painkiller::painkiller::painkiller:

Reactions: ivandrocco

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
Yikes , I have more than one order from more than one vendor floating around out there ... man I hope I don't get one of those letters

PS - Where's CC Santa when you need him - LOL

·
Ole Crusty Spiked Fish
2,806 Posts
I saved my letter from last year. Wanted to frame it but the govt is so wordy it took them six pages to make their point. I inexplicably lost a box at the beginning of October but no letter yet so I am hoping a postal employee is giving away a box of Monte #2s this Christmas to a botl in need.

·
Smoking Volunteer
4,778 Posts
Everyone gets a custom letter eventually. It's a badge of honor.

And it's been years since the bad, bad, OFAC letters. Those are the ones to worry about.

·
Removed per request
3,887 Posts
Everyone gets a custom letter eventually. It's a badge of honor.

And it's been years since the bad, bad, OFAC letters. Those are the ones to worry about.
i've gotten 7 badges of honor,all from boxes shipped through fedex,so i don't use vendors that use fedex anymore...

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
29,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Don't call it a comeback
633 Posts
I received my first letter last year during the raid. Worse part was I received it in the original package so I thought I was still getting the contents. No cigars. :cry:

·
Ole Crusty Spiked Fish
2,806 Posts
They're at it again it seems. Looks like they anticipated the holiday rush this year again, huh?
This is just my theory but the boxes lost in September (I believe) came out of the same vendor. My guess, and this is just a guess, is that this vendor was a target of the USPS and not necessarily Customs or OFAC. Really kind of sad because the USPS can use all the business they can get. They should spend more time making a profit and less reaking havoc on the paying customers....lol!!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
have 3 birds in the air...this is not the information I want!!!
hope all goes well for all BOTL this holiday season

·
Registered
508 Posts
I received my last package about a week ago and I'm done for the year. Luckily my vendor will re-ship if something were to get confiscated with no additional charge, even though it's never happened to me (knock on wood). I just keep away from anything related to the post office during this time of year, even if domestic.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Alright, so I was thinking of placing my first CC order in the next week or so, but from what I can gather it seems that I'd be best served waiting until after the 1st of the year... is that the safest thing to do right now? It seems like it shouldn't matter THAT much with certain vendor gaurantees, but still - better safe than sorry. Agreed? Or purchase away?

·
Smoking Volunteer
4,778 Posts
Alright, so I was thinking of placing my first CC order in the next week or so, but from what I can gather it seems that I'd be best served waiting until after the 1st of the year... is that the safest thing to do right now? It seems like it shouldn't matter THAT much with certain vendor gaurantees, but still - better safe than sorry. Agreed? Or purchase away?
I plan to keep purchasing. Frankly, I worry far more about summer heat frying my cigars in my mailbox than I do Customs.

There may be a couple BOTLs who order more than me around here, but not many.

I also am aware that the sales are starting. I try to never miss them.

·
Don't call it a comeback
633 Posts
The holiday deals are difficult to pass up.

·
Son of Tun
9,316 Posts
Joe
Fact is, last yrs confiscations were the "unintended consequences" from the changes in Homeland Security .
Many believe it was bad timing......
Some also believe that some vendors are being targeted by the USPS....but that is a topic for another day.
Like my daddy used to tell me " Life's a choice"...

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Yeah... I'll have to sit on it for a while. May place a smaller order just to test the waters, get my feet wet, blah blah blah. Or I could just load up on holiday release NCs and deal with this in 2012... hmmm...

1 - 20 of 1486 Posts