Cigar Forums banner

Which do you like better..Contender or Ultimate Fighter?

• The Contender

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ultimate Fighter

• Hate them both

• Like them the same

• icehog is an idiot

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you BOTLs caught either of these new reality series? I am usually not a fan of the manufactured situations that many of these series create, but I find the elimination bouts at the end of each of these shows a little more intriguing.

I'm guessing that The Contender was in the can before Ultimate Fighter began production, because the similarities in how they choose which two contestants will fight is so similar. But both series have been effective in enticing the viewer to like certain fighters, dislike others, root for underdogs, etc....but although that seems to be a common thread in many reality shows, this one ends with a knock-down drag-out loser goes packin' fight.

Curious as to any of your thoughts on this one, like 'em, hate 'em or couldn't care less.

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
I'm for Ultimate Fighter but that's just because I like Mixed Martial Arts Events much more than just boxing.

MMA offers more varied styles and types of attack than professional boxing. Plus its just cool to see some guy get knocked the F**K out by a knee to the head.

I've always been a big UFC fan and have recently been following the PRIDE Fighting Championship. I also watch Rage in The Cage which is broadcast from PHX.

Always been a fan of fighting, I did a lot of martial arts when I was younger and just loved to fight :D

I vote for Ultimate Fighter, I'm just glad they didn't have a team "Gracie" :mad:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ultimate Fighter is awesome. I accidentally saw the first one with no intention of watching it, as WWE Raw comes on before that show. I've watched every episode since. I'm anxiously awaiting a rematch between Crosscheck and Leban (sp?) I have to admit, Leban got beat in my opinion the first time, but Crosscheck was being cheap just laying there defending himself...oh well, I digress:)

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I rarely watch TV. The only shows I make sure to see are Deadwood and Arrested Development, and luckily they're both on Sunday night so it's easy to see them.

I did watch two episodes of The Contender, and I have to say it's pretty interesting. I like the boxing in it, although it's pretty heavily edited. And there are three contenders from Nevada, including one from UNR. Woo Hoo! Represent!

·
LineWalker
213 Posts
I just recently watched the contender and I enjoyed the fact that two guys who obviously didn't like each other got to beat each others brains out. It's a shame that one of the fighters committed suicide recently, he had a wife and toddler....pretty sad.

I've never seen the Ultimate fighting show. Then again if its on cable, my rabbit ears won't pick it up :r . I'm not a huge tv guy, but I'm moving in with the girl in a couple weeks and she already informed me we're getting cable. Maybe I'll check it out, I love UFC, Pride competitions.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I haven't watched the Contender, but Ultimate Fighter is a great show. I'm a big fan of the UFC and it's nice to be able to watch up and comers fight each week. Anyone gonna get the pay per view on April 16th ? it's Randy Couture vs Chuck Liddell.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wu9lf said:
I haven't watched the Contender, but Ultimate Fighter is a great show. I'm a big fan of the UFC and it's nice to be able to watch up and comers fight each week. Anyone gonna get the pay per view on April 16th ? it's Randy Couture vs Chuck Liddell.
One of my buddies is ordering it, I'll bring beer and smokes...should be a great fight!

·
Registered
212 Posts
LasciviousXXX said:
Have you seen the prices for seats???

Last time I was in Vegas I checked on prices for a UFC event, it was Tito Ortiz and some other yahoo, and they were around $200 bucks a ticket!!! That's freakin' crazy
Yep, the seats definitely aren't cheap. Before they were banned here, they used to have shows in Charlotte a lot when they started out. I see that Forrest Griffin and Diego Sanchez are the winners of the reality show. Sanchez will be badass. Also, what's up with Ken Shamrock? Dude lost in a matter of two minutes to...hell, I can't even remember the kid's name! His fights with Royce Gracie were awesome back in the day!

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Yeah I was a big shamrock fan back in the day but some of his fights as of late have been very dissapointing. However one of his best fights was last year against Tito Ortiz..... that was a freakin' amazing fight. Shamrock handed that cocky little bastard his ass on a platter. I love fights :D

Diego Sanchez will definitely be a great fighter, he dominated most of his fights.... however I would have loved to see him go up against Chris Leben. Oh and the Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar fight was the best fight I've ever seen in the UFC. Those guys stood up and bashed it out for 3 rounds without either one of them letting up. Forrest was a bloody pulp by the end of the fight but he definitely came out on top

·
Registered
212 Posts
For those interested, in case you missed it, Spike TV is airing the rerun of the UFC fights from this week tonight at 11:05 EST....I agree with you on the bonner/griffin match....awesome fight....I'll definitely be watching it again tonight! :w

·
Registered
232 Posts
The finale of the ultimate fighter was incredible. The Bonnar - Forrest fight was one of the best i've ever seen. I'm so glad both of those guys were given contracts.

Now I can't wait until Saturday for the Liddell - Couture fight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.