Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reader of the Rolling Stones-magazine has voted for the best rock song ever. And the winner was/are: Bob Dylan (Like a Rolling Stone)... second best: Rolling Stones with Satisfaction. And third best (my favourite) John Lennon (Imagine).

There is something that feels a little bit strange though. Too many "Rolling Stones" involved... :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Best Rock Song...depends on what you call Rock...Real Heavy Metal Rock or Hard Rock...I'd say Detroit Rock City...by Kiss...I'm really not a Kiss fan, but their one kick ass song

·
Registered
161 Posts
El Rey del Mundo said:
The reader of the Rolling Stones-magazine has voted for the best rock song ever. And the winner was/are: Bob Dylan (Like a Rolling Stone)... second best: Rolling Stones with Satisfaction. And third best (my favourite) John Lennon (Imagine).

There is something that feels a little bit strange though. Too many "Rolling Stones" involved... :)
If you wanna hear one chilling version of "Imagine", use one of them there downloading programs and find the song as done by A Perfect Circle. Hard to say whether you'd like it or not if you're a big fan of the original, but I suppose it's worth a listen.

Either way, that's a fantastic song. I love both the original and the cover. I'm a big Tool / A Perfect Circle (both feature the same vocalist if you're not familiar) fan too, so I guess I'm a little biased to the newer one.

Oh...and a thumbs up to the Detroit Rock City mention....not a Kiss fan either, but I love that one.

My vote....? I'm in the business myself, so I couldn't possibly pick a 'best'. Just no way to do that.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I'd go Stones "Gimme Shelter". This song rips and what an intro....it's like a forshadowing of the madness that ensues throughout the rest of the album.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
LasciviousXXX said:
I'm a Southern Boy born and raised so my vote goes out to the classic "FREEBIRD" by Skynyrd. It just don't get any better than that. Amazing guitar work, solid lyrics. It truly stands the test of time.
Skynyrd was the first band that I bought all of the albums. My copy of Street Survivors on vinyl has the original "fire" artwork. I have four copies of second helping, two on vinyl, two on CD, have it as mp3 as well. But I never bothered with the post crash versions of the band (except for Rossington Collins) because RVZ was the soul of the band, and without the Rossington & Collins guitars, it doesn't seem much would be left.

http://www.mymusic.ca/covers/170p/120/121754.jpg

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
just off the top of my head... Man, do you guys remember REO?

Classic rock:
The Who - I can see for miles
Bob seegar - night moves, turn the page
Bad company - feel like makin' love
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet home alabama
Styx - Renegade

Little harder:
night ranger - sister christian
.38 special - hold on loosely
van halen - running with the devil
Rush - tom sawyer
Foreigner -feels like the first time, head games, Oh, heck just about anything!
AC/DC - Dirty Deeds done dirt cheap

Remember those days??? man there was some decent music out there. Not like the crap kids listen to today!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
c2000 said:
How did everybody miss the most played song by one of the best rock bands ever...Why of course, BORN TO BE WILD --- Steppenwolf.

Jerry in Minnesota.
Love that one - just wondered if it would be greatest, since it's sooooo overplayed, like old time rock n roll...

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
I'm a rocker at heart. "Money for nothin' and chick for free", as they say.

I'm right there with all of you. Love evrything that you've all posted.

Found out that I can get classic rock on my computer terminal at work, so I have it blaring in the background all the time now.

Cheers. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Churchlady said:
just off the top of my head... Man, do you guys remember REO?

Classic rock:
The Who - I can see for miles
Bob seegar - night moves, turn the page
Bad company - feel like makin' love
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet home alabama
Styx - Renegade

Little harder:
night ranger - sister christian
.38 special - hold on loosely
van halen - running with the devil
Rush - tom sawyer
Foreigner -feels like the first time, head games, Oh, heck just about anything!
AC/DC - Dirty Deeds done dirt cheap

Remember those days??? man there was some decent music out there. Not like the crap kids listen to today!
ChurchLady...I know it's not nice to ask a lady her age but I would guess were about the same as me...all of the songs you mention above were in my 20's hey day...I really got into all of those you listed...not to mention how about the early Journey...some of my favorites...or how about Head East, April Wine and for Bad Company my favorite is Gone, Gone, Gone ...I can find this anywhere...not as popular as their other stuff....Boy weren't those the days for great tunes....Bman

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I can safely say I don't like most classic rock. Jimmy is about the only one who really kicks a$$. KISS is alright, but most of the rest just don't move me.

So I would say Purple Haze or Voodoo child if this is a "classic" rock choice only.

If not, for pure Metal fans.......I would say "One", "Four Horseman", "Master of Puppets" well anything old school Metallica. Before they got sofe and cut thier hair.

Besides Metallica I don't really care for Metal. Most of the 80's bands suck.......then and still do today. Metallica was the only band to rock through the 80's and into the 90's.

IMHO

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anything with AC/DC. I dont think they have made one bad song (except for Razor Edge)... Agnus Young can really play the guitar... Have you seen that Video (Big Gun) when Arnold Schwarzenegger is dressed up in a school-uniform just like Agnus.... hahahaha....

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Most of the 80's Bands Suck??????????

Are you out of your mind???? That was one of the most prolific eras of music. You could find anything on the airwaves! from Pat boone to metalllica! You've got to be a product of the 90's right?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.