Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm going on a limb here (pun intended) and I know I'm going to make enemies, but those who know me, know I'm one opinionionated DOB.

Why are we congratulating each other on posts and bannanas? Is being able to type more and faster necessarily a good thing?

And the ring guage thing??? that tool was originally implemented to create a means of identifying Experienced, honest gorillas who are either a. Safe to believe, or b. safe to trade with. It's not a status symbol - size is not everything. There are people on here with higher ring guage than Mo or Poker who have only been here a few months - granted they may be experienced LOTL's and all around great guys, but I can't tell from ring guage anymore who to believe based on experience.

I've only been here a year and have seen many changes over that time, who could forget some of the posts of the past on cuelebras or Nero's box pass from he!!? I admit to posting fluff now and then, but I don't believe that it's an actual accomplishment just to post. I'm not even sure how many posts I have...

Now, if you've smoked 100 cigars in a week, I'd love to hear that and would be glad to congratulate you. I know some of the long timers here have backed off, as it's difficult to get through the flurry of fluff that shows up (sometimes in the wrong forum).

It's great that we're such a friendly community, but lets not forget that we are first and foremost LOTL's!

Off my soap box now. Let the flaming begin.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
You won't get any flame from me CL. Anyone who flames you can piss off (pardon my language). :confused:

I'm with you 100%.

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Churchlady said:
Why are we congratulating each other on posts and bannanas? Is being able to type more and faster necessarily a good thing?
With all due respect CL, most of us have done it, you and myself included.

HOWEVER

With all the newbies coming in and posting a lot it seems like have a lot more of these posts. I have found myself skipping over these posts more and more. While I have posted about nanners and # of posts in the past also it's just not that important to me anymore.

Churchlady said:
And the ring guage thing??? that tool was originally implemented to create a means of identifying Experienced, honest gorillas who are either a. Safe to believe, or b. safe to trade with. It's not a status symbol - size is not everything. There are people on here with higher ring guage than Mo or Poker who have only been here a few months - granted they may be experienced LOTL's and all around great guys, but I can't tell from ring guage anymore who to believe based on experience.
I agree with you 100%....and from where I sit everyone is back down to a ring guage of 10, so I guess someone else with "higher powers" agrees with you also.

You make some good points CL and I agree with you 100%. Lets talk about cigars.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Well RG should not be a concern anymore. It has been reset for reasons explained elsewhere. And going forward, RG Power (How much you can give.) has nothing to do with post count.

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
You've got a valid point in regards to fluff posts. I'm in agreement. However, I'm not so sure with setting the ring guage back to zero. There have been some very high value posts that have benefited loads of us, but I guess those Gorillas will get recognized with future posts.

PS. pds is a very good steward of this jungle! :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thank you Churchlady, I was tired of typing, I really don't care if my ring gauge is 0 or 500. I'm a middle aged (46 can that be right) guy that loves Cigars, Fishing, Golf and my Wife of course. Enjoy just reading the post. This site is for cigars and a few laughs :r P.S. No pissed off old man here :)

·
LineWalker
213 Posts
The first few weeks I was here I'll admit I was caught up in some fluff posts. I believe the desire to post on every subject fades somewhat the longer you're here. Being a relative newbie myself, I can tell you that initially it's pretty fun to post in excess. Finding a large group of people who are interested in the same hobby as you, can be exciting. Although I'm in agreement that the fluff gets frustrating at times (I'm guilty myself), some of the more seasoned members need to remember they too were newbies at one point. The fact that there didn't seem to be any 'down-talking' from elder to newbie is what attracted me to this site. I'm sure this stuff ebs and flows all the time. I just hope theres not a building mentality that you had to join before a certain date to have a voice around here.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sickboy said:
I just hope theres not a building mentality that you had to join before a certain date to have a voice around here.
I don't think that would EVER be an issue around here, the older gorillas aren't judgemental - they're fantastic guys who give everyone a chance, and are especially kind to those who are truly here to learn and share about the Leaf! If anyone is judged, it's by what they say and ask - I speak as a relative newbie, I've only been here a year.

They're a tolerant group - much more tolerant than myself, I'm afraid. I don't care really if people want to post fluff stuff, as long as they keep it confined to threads in the right forums and don't clutter other more serious threads. It's the attitude that more posting is a good thing that scares me.

·
LineWalker
213 Posts
Churchlady said:
It's the attitude that more posting is a good thing that scares me.
Agreed. The last few days, its just seemed like there was an 'us against them' thing developing. Then again I'm only reading specific threads, which had some tense moments. :) I know that those who are here to gain/give knowledge will always be respected.

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
I don't think that's the case at all Sickboy. ClubStogie has always been a place where everyone is welcomed and everyone's opinion is important. That is what the greatest thing about this board is. The kindness and generosity of everyone here.

I think what was trying to be said was that the recent surge in pure BS has created a Board who's main focus is not always Cigars. I don't think any of the elders are "flaming" or discounting anyone's opinion. I just think they want to get us back on task.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Churchlady said:
Ok, I'm going on a limb here (pun intended) and I know I'm going to make enemies, but those who know me, know I'm one opinionionated DOB.
Wow, CL, I just noticed your stack of bananas.

Congratulations! One day I may get some bananas....

·
Registered
949 Posts
CL I am right there with you. There has been a lot of fluff going on. I was a little caught up in it myself. We need to get back to what is important. Educating each other in the ways of the Leaf.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
I love talking cigars as much as the next guy or gal, but there is only so much of it you can do. I don't see a little levity and fluff as a bad thing, and that's why there are forums for it. Right?

·
Registered
734 Posts
P-Town Smokes said:
Thank you Churchlady, I was tired of typing, I really don't care if my ring gauge is 0 or 500. I'm a middle aged (46 can that be right) guy that loves Cigars, Fishing, Golf and my Wife of course. Enjoy just reading the post. This site is for cigars and a few laughs :r P.S. No pissed off old man here :)
Hey P-Town, Cigars, Fishing and Golf, that is precisely where I stand. Too bad you are in Illinois and I am in Florida or we could really have a few smokes enjoying those other two hobbies. You have 6-years on me though.

Churchlady, I couldn't agree with you more. I was guilty of an I got some nanners post, but that was when every T,D & H didn't come in and post for the sake of posting. I just enjoy reading everyone's posts and getting recommendations. I have been turned on to quite a few excellent smokes since becoming a member of CS. I try to post only when I think I can add something to the board, otherwise, I just sit back and let the masters share their knowledge. Thanks for taking the time to express your thoughts on that subject.

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
No CL, you're not theBadguy..

Have you ever heard the saying "Kids on the farm". Young guy comes in causing all kinds of trouble and getting in everyones way. Well sometimes thats the way it seems to me with some of the posts. However, the board belongs to the newest guy who joined just as much as it belongs to me. So if he wants to talk about his 100th post or his 500th post, as long as its in the right forum, I say more power to him. I might not congratulate him but if I'm the first one to see his/her post, I won't leave him hanging, i.e., not say something. And my notion about RG was that it's about others' opinion of your posts as well as the things you've mentioned. It's usually very hard to get it out of me, but people that go out of their way to voice an honest opinion or help out the board, I'm more than willing to give RG to. Just my $0.02 worth of humble opinion.

And SeanGar, who keeps steeling your nanners.....

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I'm as guilty as anyone regarding fluff posts. Your point is well taken. IMHO though the RG issue is a reputation meter and not necessarily how knowledgeable a fellow BOTL OR LOTL is. I look more at how long they've been a member. But since it has become an issue and I've seen how the ederly gorillas regard the RG, I'll be more careful as to the reason why I give it out. I'm not here for any contriversy at all, and I also don't want to change how things have been here. The post that PDS made regarding the RG sure helped alot. Maybe I should have read more before I started posting or giving out RG. There very well could be posts outlining what the criteria should be.

I personally haven't asked any questions regarding advise on cigars (I leave that to Frank) as I'm such a cigar illiterate, I just read the post and try to learn some of the names. Then I ask Frank if he's ever smoked any of them cause surely I've tried them then.

I love this site not only for all the advise that you can get but also for the entertainment value.

No flames here!! I think it's great that you guys are showing us the way it should be around here or the way it should stay.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.