Cigar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the movies to see the Aviator this afternoon. That really isn't a big deal to most folks, but considering 99% of the movies I see are at home, it is a departure from the norm.

For those who want to skip the review, this is a movie worth seeing, when it is out on DVD and you can fast forward through about half of it.

Quite frankly, a beautifully photographed moview with very little heart. Scorcesse proves you can take a great story and bloat it to the extreme, and take the pure joy out of it.

Howard Hughes is an admittedly difficult subject matter for a film. Peculiar to a fault, Scorcesse fails to make Hughes sympathetic or understandable to audiences he expect to go on a three hour journey into Hughes madness (which is pretty much the same in the third scene in the film as it is in the last.)

Tedious boring dialogue about the construction of airplanes, and flat one dimensional impersonations of Hollywood's glittering past by some miscast actors. DiCaprio does his best, but the character of Hughes has no where to go. So he's rich and eccentric and troubled. Why should we care if we can't sympathize or at least empathize? Are we really excepted to believe his life long phobias are the result of a single conversation with his creepy mother during a bath?

The peak of this movie was the senate hearings. Very believable and if you take snips of about 1 hour of rest of the film and add them, you come up with a great 90 minte picture. Problem is, Scorcesse decides to bloat it with 90 minutes of useless 'drama' that frankly left a bad tatse in my mouth.

I was expecting a 'A' movie, ended up seeing a 'C-' movie. My wife who really likes DiCaprio, liked it even less than I did.

·
Skeeter's Confidant
7,197 Posts
Nice review,never been a Dicrapio fan anyway.

My favorite role of his was in Titanic,when he was heading to the bottom of the sea.After stopping laughing I yelled BRAVO,BRAVO... Which prompted my wife to again say there is something wrong with you.

IMHO,but this is comming from a guy that thinks Richard Simmons and Pauley Shure have no talent.. :pu

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Excellent review!

I think I would prefer to read a book on Howard Hughes than see this flick after reading the review.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.