Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been to Lambeau Field for a Packers game so I'm curious about what makes Lambeau Field such a great place. I'm not doubting that it is, just don't know why. I'm aware of Packer history, but there is surely more to it than that.

I remember watching that bitter cold playoff game with the Giants last season while thinking how fortunate I was to be able to view the game from the comfort of my living room.

Packer fans, what makes Lambeau such a great place? I need some education here :)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
It was more magical with #4 leading the Pack....

It is hard to describe it, you'll have to come to a game.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you go there, you'll be able to tell.

Part of it is the history, yes. It's also a nice, well "worn" stadium that is well kept. You don't feel like' you're in some ultra modern overly sterile venue. You're at a football stadium.

The energy of the people is different than many other sports venues I've been too. (I don't know how else to describe it.)

Part of it is also all of the tailgating going on outside the stadium. Even in sub-zero weather, people are out on their charcoal grills, grilling brats and having a beer... or coffee.

In the end, Packer fan or not, you just feel like you're part of something "more" when you are there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would agree with the above posts.
The legends that played there have something to do with it no doubt.
#4-nuff said
The town comes alive for a home game. The night before the bars are going at full speed.Lots of fun to be had by all.
Sunday-The town is thumping.Tailgating at the gas stations,yards and of course the parking lot. Bands playing,good food available.
once inside you are greeted by a wonderful FOOTBALL stadium not a multi purpose deal like some towns( thinks MN Twins/Vikings at Metrodome)

The electricity in the air is great.I have been down there with non Packers fans and they agreed its a place unlike any other they had experienced.
There is just so much love for the home team that the city and state come together and party regardless of a win.

I remember parking at a gas station.The pumps were shut down and we parked where one would normally pump gas.Over in another parking spot the grill was out and brats were cooking.We walked down the street drinking beers and carrying a twelve pack. The officers gave us a wave and were great. Arriving at the stadium parking lot we found a Packer club where you could buy a plastic football glass full of Captn Coke.There was a stage with a good band playing.We hung out and then walked the lot, met many great Pack and non Pack fans all having a great time. We stopped and enjoyed a brew with many of them . Its time like these that make it all so cool.
Can't wait to go back.

·
Silverback
2,607 Posts
I'm a Vikings fan and I had a great time at Lambeau field. My buddy and I ran into folks I knew from Milwaukee tailgating behind the big lots store. We were treated well and only politely razzed for wearing purple & gold. You go to a lot of stadiums Philly, Buffalo, whatever and people chuck crap at you for wearing the other teams gear. In green bay they give you a hard time a little but are very cool to you in general. Everyone was generous with brats and beer and very friendly. Once you get into the stadium the atmosphere is electric. The fans know the game, know the players are totally engaged in the game not yakking on their cell phones or whatever. In some ways it is similar to going to a place like Fenway or Wrigley. It's like going back in time to the golden age of football. In short it is a combination of the fans & community as well as the building itself with all the aforementioned history. You will have a great time I assure you.

·
Cohibo Aficionado
812 Posts
Yes! Lambeau field! The holy grail of sporting facilities! Been there 5 or 6 times. Was there for the last Bears/Packers game in the old stadium in 2001 (when we swept them!! OH MY GOD WAS SO COLD with my father, who is a Pats fan), and a bunch of times after. On the season ticket waiting list, I figure I will come up in my 60's.

My Background; born and live in New Englander. Cape Cod'er (actually live off the Cape in one of the small coastal towns leading to the Cape, but you'd never know the difference). I don't pronounce my r's, love chowdah, lobstah, and my Packers!! Became a Packer fan when I was a little kid in the 70's, when Bart Starr was coach, so not a bandwagon'er with the Favre era; I lived and cried through the 80s.

Why is Lambeau special, from someone outside of WI. There is no other place to watch a sports event than Lambeau. This is from someone who does not live in WI, have been to Soldiers field, and a ton of Patriots games, in every Patriots stadium, including the new one.

Its the people, the Packer fans. At Pats games, the majority of people are rude, classless, insult hurling trolls. I say that because I witnessed a father of two young girls get into a fight with 3 guys (all were Pats fans) because he told them to tone down the insults (I mean, the c-word, f-word, you name it). I saw a guy get his face split open from a hurled bottle from quite a few rows up. Its the same at Red Sox games. Nothing against the fans themselves, these fans are my friends and family, but the majority of people are terrible. Contrast that to just pure passion of a Lambeau crowd. Mind you, this is coming from a hell raising never been married bachelor. I go to these games with buddies, and its atrocious. The energy is pure at GB, they respect the families there. The air before a game, in 7 degree weather, is electric. The night before, its the same. Its magical, I am tellin' you, and this is not because I am a Packer fan. I grew up a Sox fan, and remember being 8 years old and walking up the ramp, and seeing Fenway for the first time, with my father. It was one millions times that, walking through the tunnel with my father, and seeing Lambeau with my father before the Bears game in 2001. He is a Patriots fan since the Boston Patriot days, when they played at Fenway, and he got teary eyed.

My girlfriend and I took a run through the neighborhoods of GB before a game a few years ago, and its like a Disney film; parties in every yard, Packers colors. The staduim is surrounded by neighborhoods with guys like you and me living there, like a high school staduim would be. Not in the middle of a city. The people before the game, tailgating, the best ever. Will offer you a beer and a brot like nothing. You're huddled on benches with fellow fans (I recommend renting one of those ass slings) in the freezing cold, hugging and high fiving every Packer score.....

I got corporate, indoor seating, with full service bar and food as a gift from a company I deal with. I wanted to sit outside, with the real fans. Are you ready for this? I had to PAY A SCALPER $200 to trade these seats in for the $50 seats. I tried to trade with everyone I came across, NO ONE wanted to sit inside, no one. I WAS WILLING TO TAKE ANY SEAT. It was either that, or sit inside to watch the packers, NO WAY. I paid the money and was the best $200 I ever spent. THATS the kind of people Packer fans are.

I love my Packers. I love Lambeau. You it to yourself, in the interest of the "human experience", to get to Lambeau, even if you hate the Packers. Its that special.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
way to ruin a thread. it doesn't matter who is leading what it was awe-inspiring you could feel the energy. never could else where.
No doubt it is still awesome, was at the Packer/Cowboy game earlier this year. Just my own personal Bias showing through.

The whole city shuts down for the game it seems. The neighborhoods around the stadium allow you to park there and sometimes even tailgate in their yards.... really is an awesome place.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.