Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Arizona and for the most part I have kept my cigars in a tupperware container with a small sponge to keep up humidity. The temperature during the summer in the room fluctuates between 72 and 78 degrees. Is this ok? This seems to work for the 20 or cigars I usually have around. However, I recently aquired a fairly expensive box that I plan on aging for quite a while. So I bought a proper humidor and am now only worried about temperature. Should I be concerned about this temp if humidity is maintained around 65%?

I have read a lot of the older threads and understand ideally, 70 degrees is where you want to be. Some of you actually are at 65. That is not happening here.

What are your thoughts?

BTW, my first post here and I look forward to meeting you guys. I love to talk stogies and it looks like I have stumbled into the right place.

jason
 

·
MoTheMentor
Joined
·
3,075 Posts
Welcome to CS slowhand.
Where are you from?
To reach the ideal of 70% RH/70 deg. F, For every degree change, you need to adjust the humidity needs to e adjusted 2.2% in the opposite direc., this means that for a temp of 75 F, yor humidity can be as low as 59% to have the same relative WATER CONTENT IN THE AMBIENT AIR.

But, I wouldn't fret. Cigars are a pretty hearty bunch and can stand fluctuations well, so long as they maintain somme degree of freshness and are good to smoke.

My bigger worry is if the temp stays high enough it might promote the hatching of cigar beetle eggs . . . generally needs 80-85 deg for that, but I've heard of it even at 78 deg. The good news is that today, even in Cuba, cigar tobacco is either fumigated or placed in a freezer to kill off the eggs, so there's less chance of hatchings. Believe me, one of the most A G G R A V A T I N G things to have happen is to get a beetle infestation. Urgh!

Well, that's my diatribe. Enjoy your cigars & welcome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
slowhand said:
I live in Arizona and for the most part I have kept my cigars in a tupperware container with a small sponge to keep up humidity. The temperature during the summer in the room fluctuates between 72 and 78 degrees. Is this ok? This seems to work for the 20 or cigars I usually have around. However, I recently aquired a fairly expensive box that I plan on aging for quite a while. So I bought a proper humidor and am now only worried about temperature. Should I be concerned about this temp if humidity is maintained around 65%?

I have read a lot of the older threads and understand ideally, 70 degrees is where you want to be. Some of you actually are at 65. That is not happening here.

What are your thoughts?

BTW, my first post here and I look forward to meeting you guys. I love to talk stogies and it looks like I have stumbled into the right place.

jason
I have just the opposite problem, I go way under 70 degrees a lot of the time. I haven't had any problems... YET!

There have been times when I have gone over 80 degrees and again, the cigars were fine.

And welcome aboard, Jason!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, thanks for the good info guys. I normally don't worry about such things since my cigars have a fairly short life expectancy once thay are in my custody :) However with the new ones I plan on aging I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks again,

jason
 

·
MoTheMentor
Joined
·
3,075 Posts
slowhand said:
:) However with the new ones I plan on aging I just wanted to be sure.
Thanks again,
jason
Well, welcome aboard agin and be careful of the dark side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to Club Stogie.

Good information given on the temperature issues...

And do take Mo's advice, do not, whatever you do....venture to the Dark Side! You will be toast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,374 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Regarding temperature, I do feel that it is a factor and Edisonbird down in Florida has found a cost effective way of keeping the temp down by converting a small wine fridge. You may at some point consider setting up an Edisonador in that it does in my opinion affect the way cigars age. They just plain age better at 65.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
MoTheMan said:
Welcome to CS slowhand.
Where are you from?
To reach the ideal of 70% RH/70 deg. F, For every degree change, you need to adjust the humidity needs to e adjusted 2.2% in the opposite direc., this means that for a temp of 75 F, yor humidity can be as low as 59% to have the same relative WATER CONTENT IN THE AMBIENT AIR.
Oh my God, you have me totally confused, and just when I though I had this all figured out.

So what type of humidity does the hydrometer actually show? Relative or "absolute" we could call it. Should it show around 65-70% all the time or can it show lower as you said above? I thought temp doesnt matter (as it pertains to humidity) and you just needed to make sure it was 68% relative humidity.

I'm so confused now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
summerkc said:
Oh my God, you have me totally confused, and just when I though I had this all figured out.

So what type of humidity does the hydrometer actually show? Relative or "absolute" we could call it. Should it show around 65-70% all the time or can it show lower as you said above? I thought temp doesnt matter (as it pertains to humidity) and you just needed to make sure it was 68% relative humidity.

I'm so confused now.
Arg! I wasn't confuse until I read that, and now I think I am! I don't know! :c

:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
cyclops said:
Arg! I wasn't confuse until I read that, and now I think I am! I don't know! :c

:D
I have that effect on people. :D

BTW, welcome to the jungle! (In my best Axel Rose impression)
 

·
Definitely not a puff fan
Joined
·
1,804 Posts
summerkc said:
Oh my God, you have me totally confused, and just when I though I had this all figured out.

So what type of humidity does the hydrometer actually show? Relative or "absolute" we could call it. Should it show around 65-70% all the time or can it show lower as you said above? I thought temp doesnt matter (as it pertains to humidity) and you just needed to make sure it was 68% relative humidity.

I'm so confused now.
In an effort to end the confusion surrounding relative humidity and temperature, I humbly submit the following psychometric chart. Enjoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
Meteorology 101? :cool:chart hog I Think I remember it from college,but who knows...those days are just a distant blur.
 

·
MoTheMentor
Joined
·
3,075 Posts
Just saw that graph.
Soo Coool!!
I got my information from an engineer friend of mine (and one of the biggest stogie philes that I know), who actually showed the calculations corrolating changes in temperature with changes in humidity. But the graph's real cool, still trying to decipher it.

Man, this is a great BB.
 

·
Definitely not a puff fan
Joined
·
1,804 Posts
To use the graph, look at the dry bulb temp scale at the bottom and the humidity ratio scale on the right. You can directly correspond actual moisture content, temperature, and relative humidity (the curved blue lines).


LH
 

·
What would Skeeter do?
Joined
·
4,202 Posts
Uh. So if I'm running about 72-73 degrees & the digital hygrometer is reading 67%, is this a true reading of rh, or do I need to factor the rh using the graph?

I have practically removed all the media I had in all my 72 qt plastidors as they were running too high. The desktops that are lined with Spanish Cedar tend to run between 65-70% rh & I worry more about the humidity dropping in them than I do the big plastidors. Hell, I've even got cedar sleeves, blocks, a bag of rice in the plastidors & finally have the rh under control.....I think....

I may have to return to the bottle. :al
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top