Cigar Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about adding temp control to my humidor. I store my cigars now at an average temp of 73 but with temp control I would keep them at 65.

How much of a difference does it make to store cigars at 65 for long term aging?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Of all the aged cigars I've smoked, the one's stored at lower temps have been better IMHO. I have heard lower temps help retain strength. For the long term that's a good thing...

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Hmm!

Hmm! I'm gonna have to start looking into the slightly lower temperature to see if it makes a difference.

But as for humidity, I personally like my cigars a little on the wet side.

MoTheMan

·
Registered
21,744 Posts
Lamar, my wine cooler is at 65, you know what they taste like out of there, I personally think that they age well at 65 or even 63, but everybody's taste buds are a little different. Good luck.:w

·
Registered
623 Posts
Lamar-

Test complete!!

I just smoked 2 RYJ churchills from '98 back to back last night. They were both from the same box. I bought them back in '99 and 13 went to a buddy's constant 65¼ humi and the other 12 have been in my fluctuant 70-73¼ humi. I would for sure say his were far better, more body and complexity. Mine wern't bad, but his were just sublime.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
cigartexan said:
Lamar-

Test complete!!

I just smoked 2 RYJ churchills from '98 back to back last night. They were both from the same box. I bought them back in '99 and 13 went to a buddy's constant 65¼ humi and the other 12 have been in my fluctuant 70-73¼ humi. I would for sure say his were far better, more body and complexity. Mine wern't bad, but his were just sublime.
holy sh*t jack! what kind of dumb a$$ experiment is that? i think you need the help of a professional here. take the remaining cigars and assign them each a different number. then send them to me... i will smoke the cigars and classify them as either being in the cool or warm group. then we'll see what's what. and i'll even wave my fee. #*[email protected]%^& amateurs ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Interesting thread. I wouldn't have thought that a difference between 5-8 degrees would produce a noticable difference.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Sorry Davy boy :p That was the last of my RYJ Churchills.

Joe- Cigars like wine don't like variable temps. The more consistant the better. My humi is always jumping from this to that, so my cigars need a better room.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm Sold! I have had a lot of sticks from Rick's cooler and even his Cazadores which are supposed to be flighty were full of flavor after (if memory serves) five years and Jack's test threw the scales.

Thanks...I now have to go and sell off the first born male child because Arlin is now adding refrigeration to my latest and LAST humidor.

·
Registered
226 Posts
cigartexan said:
Lamar-

Test complete!!

Nice test:w
But which one did you smoke first? Just might have a bearing on which one tasted best???

·
Registered
623 Posts
Deem, I smoked the better one first. Whenever I compare two of the same cigar, I always light the second one when I still have a third left to smoke of the first one. I find it better to compare them, allowing me to sample both alternately.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
How the F___ am I supposed to add cooling to a HUMIDOR CLOSET

You guys are crazy! But hey, I'm willing to try something new to better my smokes.

MoTheMan

·
Registered
623 Posts
How the F___ am I supposed to add cooling to a HUMIDOR CLOSET
I plan to put in a window mount celler a/c unit in the bathroom I'm doing.

You have a different problem. There are free standing units that you can run a temporary 3" duct tube out of. They have them at Loew's an Home Depot.

Here's the link HD Maytag Portable A/C

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Well, you know, on second thought, it's not so preposterous.

Last December I was vbisiting a friend in NYC who's a big wine connoisseur and has a large wine closet at home. About 5 years ago he acquired a couple of MC #1 while on a trip to Mexico City. Being a non-smoker, he didn't know how to store them so he figured he'll just place them in a plastic bag & keep them in his wine closet. Well, he ended up giving them to me knowing how much I enjoy my cigars.

So how did they smoke after 5 years in a wine cellar. QUITE GOOD!! Although the two cigars showed some wear & tear, they still retained good flavor and strength yet become very smooth. I just thought that they were from a particularly good batch . . . maybe there is something to a cooler storage.

Hmm!

MoTheMan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts