Cigar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any resources for Pocket PC's that have reviews/descriptions of Cigars? I know that there are Wine resources for pocket pc's is there one for 'gars?

You know, they read like - the 04 MC#4 (Cuba) is described as having full-body with hints of earth,etc... known for an even burn...in the 2-6$ price range...

If there's one not out there anyone wanna make one???

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
The Cigar Review Database at Top 25 Cigar is enable to provide a Palm based version of the database as well as the online version. I doubt this is what you ar elooking for but's it all I know of.

I actually disabled that part of the DB as no one had ever used it!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info... I'll have to check and see if it works with my OS - unfortunately mine is not palm, it's Dell - Well, MS pocket pc.

·
Registered
831 Posts
pds said:
The Cigar Review Database at Top 25 Cigar is enable to provide a Palm based version of the database as well as the online version.
That's great pds. I'd be very interested in the Palm version.

Just a *ahem* few questions..
How big is the Palm database?
Is it updateable or do you just download the entire database when you want to update?
Any version conflicts?
How about uploading reviews via HotSync?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I dont know if this is what you are looking for....

http://www.absoluteword.com/cigars/

I know you can find nice programs for the palm OS on the web, but i was considering switching to Pocket PC and did a search for cigar software before i made the switch.

If you try this software let us know what you think

·
Registered
29 Posts
the cigar database is freeware but you have to buy the roadlingua viewer http://www.absoluteword.com/roadlng/

to use it on the pocket pc which is $499.95!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yikes

·
Registered
35 Posts
Actually you can download it for free for use on a "trial" basis. According to their docs, the trial version doesn't expire, it just pops up an "unlicensed" message occasionally. To buy the viewer for either platform (PPC or Palm) is $14.95. The $499 is for an unlimited subscription, I'm assuming to all of the dictionaries they offer.

I may try this out for my Clie (PalmOS) as it could be useful when shopping.

--Will

·
Registered
35 Posts
Update: I downloaded the software that Tom posted, and thought it was OK but it didn't have a lot of the cigars I'm interested in. It also doesn't offer any review stuff except a single number (like in the screen shot). What I would really like is to have the top25cigar database on my Clie, but I'm not sure how big it would get.

--Will

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
hoopshot said:
Update: I downloaded the software that Tom posted, and thought it was OK but it didn't have a lot of the cigars I'm interested in. It also doesn't offer any review stuff except a single number (like in the screen shot). What I would really like is to have the top25cigar database on my Clie, but I'm not sure how big it would get.

--Will
I would like to see the Top 25 Cigar RDB on PocketPC as well. I'll ask the folks who helped me develop the RDB how tough this would be to get done.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I only saw the viewer available for the palm os. We are both Clie users hoop. I use a program called herfer buddy for the palm OS

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks pds!!! I'd be grateful for any options at this point.

Great discussions gentlemen, I hope ya'll with palm have a great time finding info!

G

·
I can't help you with an already existing database, but if you want to create your own database, have a look at pilot-db:

http://pilot-db.sourceforge.net/

It's free. I already use it for a few things (exercise log, Christmas card list), and I'm just about to start up a cigar database (just for my own record). I don't think it allows pictures (so you can't scan in the cigar band), but it's pretty good.

cheers,
-A

·
Registered
28 Posts
I own a Pocket PC phone so I would be very interested in a program that would run on that format. There are quite a few for the Palm OS. PDS if you could get them to do top25cigars to do that it would be great.

BenjieV ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.