Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to step on any toes, but is anyone not fond of the wrapper.
My experience is much less than some on CS. It is the same wrapper on over a dozen cigars, which I have smoked every brand and size. I am one of the people who think that wrapper contributes a great deal to the flavor of the cigar. Now we have had prior threads as to what percentage each person thinks the wrapper contributes and the smaller ring gauge theory. (which will inevitably come out on this post as well). Understand I am not taking away from the part that the binder and the filler contribute to taste.
I am just not fond of the taste of the wrapper, hence I am not fond of the Edicion Limitadas.
Now again, I am not trying to step on any toes, but was wondering:
1) If there were others who shy away from these cigars?
2) Is it because of the wrapper? Do you agree with my thoughts?
3) If not the wrapper, then why?
And please, nobody give me the :gn

·
In Mojita Mania
614 Posts
I have had some, but certainly not all of the EL's and have found that I haven't liked any of them either. The one exception would be the Cohiba DC (though I have only had one of these, I really enoyed it). It could be that the wrapper just does not go well with the filler and binder, thus the over all taste delivery is "tainted"?. Maybe the leaf used for the wrapper is just not "up to par" with the leaf used for the filler and binder? What ever the reasons, you are not the only one who shys away from these cigars. I'd gladly take more cigars of regular production that I like than a less amount of EL's for the same $.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Anybody who knows me knows I hardly ever smoke a double banded cigar ;) There's only 1 E.L that I truly liked. It was one of the RyJ Piramides EL's. The cigar did not look like an E.L. at all. It had a nice thinner wrapper with a deep rosado colorado wrapper. It actually tasted like an RyJ. I find the E.L.'s hardly ever taste like a good representation of their brand. I haven't had all of the E.L.'s out, but the PSD3 and Monte DC EL have been the best ones for my tastes(2nd to the RyJ). Although decent cigars, they have more of the pungent, maduro taste that is representative of domestic maduros. Personally, all of the best cigars that I've ever smoked possessed either a claro-colorado, colorado, or rosado shade of wrapper. I'm not a fan of maduro-colorado or maduro shade wrappers.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fredster had a Monte DC EL where the wrapper did not look like the EL wrapper either. Pretty much looked like the regular production wrapper. The cigar however was fantastic. That was pretty much my only positive experience.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's absolutely the wrapper that gives EL's across the board that sweet taste. I know several people who don't like them. Me, I'm not a big fan, but I really enjoy the PSD3's. I got a box of PSD1's and RyJ Hermoso #2's this year for aging, both of which will remain sealed until sometime next year maybe. I probably won't buy any more EL's anytime soon, and the Sublimes certainly don't excite me (of course I'll try a couple, gotta stay on top of all these new releases!)

I find the Cohiba DC's to be a collosal waste of money, but hey, luckily there's lots of choices out there for us :)

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
The EL wrapper is supposed to be a Habano 2000 leaf, hence the knid of taste & smoke that it gives.

I agree with what's being said here. It's not really the best wrapper to have on a cigar, and as for the EL editions, I think it's just a big friggin' marketing ploy.

Now I've liked some of the EL cigars (Partagas Pyramid, Cohiba DC) but as for the rest . . . .

·
Registered
430 Posts
I don't like their taste and don't like their roughness. Of course early on (I think it was back in 2000 or 2001) bought some boxes to put away, but once the initial hype was over, I wisened up and stopped buying them. I know many would disagree, but everyone's got their own taste! ;)

·
-
11,412 Posts
the last few i've had, and i've only had a handful, have been average smokes. i'm not gonna fork out the extra dough unless someone has a huge sale or something and it's a size/brand that i like, and it's gotten great reviews.

i've been finding that regular production cigars can be just as good, and often times, better, for a cheaper price.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I havent tried that many EL´s either... But I liked Romeo y Julieta Robusto and the Cohiba Piramides wasnt too bad either but not fantastic as I recalled it... I smoked the Cohiba on my birthday...

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I would say overall they are not worth the extra $. I've had some that did not burn properly and some that were ok. I think the wrapper may contribute a bit of sweetness to the flavor. Don't get me wrong when I say this, but I think the reason a lot of people don't like them is because they are smoking them too young. These things come out and everyone wants to be the first to try, and none of these cigars tasted good young to me. Some of the ones Iv'e really liked had 2 or 3 years age. The Monte Robustos, Romeo robustos (much fuller than a Ex.#4), Romeo Pyramid's ( thanks Mo), Monte D.C.'s, PSD#3's, Part. Pyramids, and Hoyo Particualrs were all very good. The Monte D.C. is my favorite. What do all these have in common? They are all 01's that I smoked with 2 or more years age. I think the 03 Hoyo Pyramid is going to age well and be a great smoke also. I tried a lot of these 01's when they first were released, and none impressed at all.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Fredster

I'm with you on this one. I just believe that some of the EL's will age well. In particular the D3's and the R&J Hermosas should be great smokes in time.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I haven't liked many of them fresh. They seem to get better with age, although there has not been a lot of time to determine that.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I understand that these need age; but with 3 years of age, they still do not suit my tastes. They are good, but I'd rather spend less money on other regular production cigars that I like more.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Word.............haven't been supper impressed with them either. I am looking forward to the Partagas that Poker sent me with the Palio group buy.

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Brandon said:
I understand that these need age; but with 3 years of age, they still do not suit my tastes. They are good, but I'd rather spend less money on other regular production cigars that I like more.
I agree. Regular production is very good to me, why spend the extra cash on the EL;s when the regular production cigars do just fine.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Brandon said:
I hear you and agree for the most part, but I like the D.C. size, and none of the reg production ones are as good as the Monte to me. I'd even take em over the 1993 Hoyo D.C. I had lately.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Worse wrapper ever produced by Cuba. Thick, chewy, and sweet just does not work for a Habano cigar. Add that to the premium price they charge for EL's and you get a really shitty cigar that costs too much. JMHO of course. ;)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SLR said:
Worse wrapper ever produced by Cuba. Thick, chewy, and sweet just does not work for a Habano cigar. Add that to the premium price they charge for EL's and you get a really shitty cigar that costs too much. JMHO of course. ;)
You are my kind of guy!!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts