Cigar Forums banner

Which Tarantino movie do you think is his best work?

• Reservoir Dogs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pulp Fiction

• Jackie Brown

• Kill Bill Vol 1&2

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fellow Tarantino brothers, let me know your favorite movie by the master!! I'm still partial to Pulp Fiction, even though Kill Bill was off the hook, as well.

Grinch OUT!!!

·
Test Subject
2,651 Posts
Have not seen Kill Bill but as far as my wife and I are concerned its a tie between Pulp fiction and Jackie Brown..... Did he make dusk to dawn.That was different but I did like it...

Jerry in Minnesota.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think ha helped write it and executive produced it with his good friend Robert Rodriguez, (Spy Kids, Desparado, Once Upon a Time in Mexico). Robert Rodriguez directed it.

Grinch OUT!!!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Yeah it was directed by Robert Rodriguez. I love Res. Dogs. Something about the chemestry between the main players in it. Plus I like Michael Madison (Mr.Blonde). Who I can't wait to see in KB vol2. Which I still need to see.

I also enjoy Pulp Fiction. I love they way he directed it. If you have ever watched any old John Woo movies you will see the Tarantino is/was highly influenced by Woo.

·
Test Subject
2,651 Posts
Two favorite scenes in Pulp fiction were at Tarintinos house when comments were made about the gormet coffee by Jackson and later by Kietel. Its just a small deal but I always remember Kietel giving that little nod of approval after taking a sip of the coffee....

Jerry in Minnesota.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"...AND YOU SHALL KNOW MY NAME IS THE LORD, AS I LAY MY VENGEANCE UPON THEE!!!!"

Grinch OUT!!!

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
Quentin is definately a twisted genius. These films are technically brilliant, the acting is over the top and the editing is genius. Even the dialogue sparkles. His obsession with violence and the dark side of human nature remind me of when I was a adolescent and would ride my bike for miles to see a fire or a car wreck! :r He never let go!!! My wife can't handle the dude, but I feel like I'm 15 years old watching those movies, that's a good thing. I hear he wants to redo a 007 movie, true to the book! He'd be great. He also said he wants to make the most violent movie ever. The guy is just completely out there!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Tarantino is truly a genious. I love all his movies. I think that resevior dogs is still my favorite. One that's not listed in the poll that I really liked is True Romance, what a great movie. I think the weakest one was Jackie Brown.
I can't wait for the next one.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
My favorite is actually Jackie Brown. I love the soundtrack (second only to the Boogie Nights soundtrack as my favorite of all time), the cast, and think it's his most accomplished story as a whole. I also liked the fact that it was an homage to the "blaxploitation" flicks that I am a huge fan of.

This was also one of the few examples of a Tarantino film where I feel the dialogue isn't overly precious or pop-culture dependent; my main problem with Pulp Fiction and the Kill Bill films.

Reservoir Dogs is a very close second, though. It's not as ambitious as Jackie Brown, so it misses by the narrowest of margins.

Man, just thinking about that tracking shot during the opening credits of Jackie Brown, with Bobby Womack's "Across 110th Street" blaring in the background as Pam Grier runs for her plane gives me goosebumps. A great example of the combined powers of music and film.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Personally, I think Hero was a most excellent film.

·
Will Work for Boli GM's..
1,909 Posts
c2000 said:
Have not seen Kill Bill but as far as my wife and I are concerned its a tie between Pulp fiction and Jackie Brown..... Did he make dusk to dawn.That was different but I did like it...

Jerry in Minnesota.
See it...and if you rent you can get Vol 1 & 2 at the same time and watch them straight through...by far his best...

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
I like Pulp Fiction best, the dynamic between Jackson and Travolta was engaging. Along with great performances by Tim Roth, Bruce Willis, Ving Rhames, Harvey Keitel and so many others, one of my favorites.

That being said, I truly enjoyed Resevoir Dogs, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill and True Romance...Quentin just knows how to write dialogue that appeals to the common folk.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
dumonweb said:
i woulda voted for "Four Rooms"... the movie about one night at a hotel.

the suspense of the lighter scene is pretty cool.
Yeah, but that wasn't an original idea. It was based on "The Man from the South" by Roald Dahl (and was incidentally used in an episode of the 80's version of The Twilight Zone).

Actually Tarantine borrows quite a bit, as Reservoir Dogs' coolest elements were taken directly from the Hong Kong action flick "City on Fire" in which the characters were given names like Mr. White, Mr. Black, etc. and one of the members of the gang is a cop who bonds with one of the other gang members (played by Chow Yun Fat!). The stories are basically the same!! ;)

Tarantino is the first to admit this, however!!

·
Funky Monkey
1,067 Posts
My favorite is Pulp FIction and I also like a lot Reseirvoir dogs. Havent seen Jackie Brown but i think im gonna look for it. Kill Bill 1&2 also are really good,

·
Registered
583 Posts
I haven't seen City on Fire in 6 or 7 years, but I don't recall them having nicknames like Mr. White, Black, etc. That was The Taking of Pelham 123 (and when asked about it, QT said he'd never see Pelham 123, that it was just a coincidence and he almost gave them aliases named after comic book heroes, but decided against it for copyright reasons). But the core plot of City on Fire is pretty much the same, an undercover cop infiltrates a gang of jewel thiefs. But that's been done a million times before either movies.

But yeah, Ringo Lam and Chow Yun Fat got a dedication credit on the screenplay for Res. so it's obvious this one was a direct inspiration for Res.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
RumblePen said:
I haven't seen City on Fire in 6 or 7 years, but I don't recall them having nicknames like Mr. White, Black, etc.

But yeah, Ringo Lam and Chow Yun Fat got a dedication credit on the screenplay for Res. so it's obvious this one was a direct inspiration for Res.
LOL! Yeh, I'm SURE Tarantino, a video store clerk, never saw Pelham!

I haven't watched City on Fire in awhile, but I am almost certain that the color names were used for the heist itself (not through the whole movie, as in Dogs).

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
dagrinch said:
My fellow Tarantino brothers, let me know your favorite movie by the master!! I'm still partial to Pulp Fiction, even though Kill Bill was off the hook, as well.

Grinch OUT!!!
I'm with you on this. I love the Kill Bill sequence, but I believe Pulp Fiction really took him to another level.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.