Cigar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Light's on..No one's home
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summertime is just around the corner with its high temperatures. I don't experience any real hot temps ( high 70s and an occasional low 80) out here on the coast. I usually move my Stabell to a cool stone garage where the temp rarely exceeds 72 during the day and drops into the 60s the rest of the time. I have been thinking of a wine cooler or just staying with the Stabell and seeing how much the temps really do affect the way my habanos smoke this summer.
I don't have any air conditioning or any practical need for it as the ceiling fans keep the temp very comfortable.
Since I can't keep the temp in the 65 range I was wondering what others do to stay in this area, if anything, in their wooden humidors. The Climmax beads keep the humidity stable at 65%.

Just wondering if I should be concerned or if there is nothing to worry about at the slightly higher temp in the wooden hiumidors??

·
Registered
291 Posts
With temps that low, I don't think you will have any problem at all. From the thread title, I thought you lived somewhere down south with temps into the triple digits and 100% humidity:)

·
Registered
290 Posts
In the desert of Arizona, triple digits temps is an every day occurance in the summer.

I keep my humi in a cool, dark room away from lights and walls, and check/refill the humidor sponge about 3x a week.

May start keeping it in the small storage area of my garage - stone floor, not near wall or window.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Sounds like your setup will work. A lot of this is a matter of personal taste, but I have found that at 74 degrees my cigars lose a lot of their punch.

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lamar said:
I have found that at 74 degrees my cigars lose a lot of their punch.
Thanks Lamar, thats what I was wondering. Hopefully the daytime high and the nighttime lows will keep the average below 70*. I guess it will be a work in progress type thing that I will monitor closely. If they start to go south I'll be getting a wine cooler yesterday, and then ringing up the Bird to fax me a set of plans ASAP. I should add that all the smokes have been to the freezer to keep the bugs away.
Thanks again for the input, and by the way how is that new desktop :D :p doing??

·
-
11,412 Posts
how much would one of those little ice pack thingys you toss into igloo coolers make the temp drop?

y'know those plastic things that you throw in your freezer, then put in your cooler to keep your drinks cool all day, instead of ice?
probably too much space and too extreme of a temp change...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Okie

The "desktop" is on a misson to single handedly send me to bankruptcy. I almost filled out one of those "You have just been qualified for a new Visa Card" promos today!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I keep my humi in a cool, dark room away from lights and walls, and check/refill the humidor sponge about 3x a week.
Damn, I only fill my humidors about every other month. the RH in my house is only about 26% to 30%. Does that thing seal tight enough. I have built two humidors now, both seal incredibly well.
I actually open both every day at least twice just to take a peek.

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Lamar, maybe you can get the CC put in Ricks name. You buy and he pays. Sounds like a hell of an idea, and Rick is so accommodating. :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.