Cigar Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a beautiful day here and I decided to have a cigar after work. Lit it up and noticed I wasn't getting hardly any flavor from it. I thought well, I'll just get another cigar. Grabbed a different one and the same thing...I could get some flavors if I pushed copious amounts of smoke out my sinuses on the retrohale, but not much. I also noticed I couldn't really taste my beer. Miller Lite, so I wasn't expecting much flavor but I usually at least taste it.
I have spring allergies. They were very bad but I took allergy shots for 8 years. I can now tolerate being outdoors when the yellow pollen is coating everything but I still take over the counter meds to keep down the sneezing and itching. I've been taking the generic Flonase for a month or so. Started googling and discovered that other people have lost their sense of smell/taste after using flonase. So I'm dropping the Flonase and hope that my senses come back. It is a very strange feeling to smoke a cigar and taste nearly nothing, frightening really. I feel fine, my nose is not stopped up or running, I just can't smell or taste anything. Y'all wish me luck, send good vibes, say a prayer, whatever you do...I need it.

·
Retired Chaos Designer
12,089 Posts
Best of luck to you brother, any of the antihistamines will throw my system out of wack so I tend to just suffer through it until it gets so bad that I can’t see anymore, then I’ll go with the Flonase, I keep it to about half of the ‘recommended’ dose. For the most part I can get by with a saline rinse every other day or so.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I like going the natural route for the exact reason you describe. I used this stuff about 8 years ago because I'm allergic to mold and all of a sudden I started getting the seasonal pollen crap. I used this mold one and 2 others they make all together for a week or 2. Pollen/hayfever, and animal hair/dander is the other 2. I just finally used it again last year when my eyes felt itchy, but I had no problems for 7 years until it came back. A few drips under the tongue a few times a day, and boom, gone for years.

Sent from the garage

Reactions: Bigjohn

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I break up peppermint candies and try to find just the right size piece to shove up each nostril. Might sound a tab HillBilly-ish but it works. Helps with my constant headache I get from shoving candy up my nose as well.....

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I second @Olecharlie on the NeilMed products. I had this happen a few months back. It was a sinus infection that I went to the doc for. It took about 3 weeks for all of my taste to come back, but it did.

·
Banned
1,303 Posts
I break up peppermint candies and try to find just the right size piece to shove up each nostril. Might sound a tab HillBilly-ish but it works. Helps with my constant headache I get from shoving candy up my nose as well.....
I bet snorting whisky while you have the candy up your nose would work wonders.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
213 Posts
Allergy season is a good time to use a sinus irrigation system...you know a nostril rinser...helps a lot.

Another trigger for lack of smell is zinc deficiency. Get some zinc lozenges and try it out. Good luck.

Hahahah miller lite is pretty wimpy anyway :) If you can't smell or taste you might as well hit a big Stout.

·
Got bumps on my ash!
3,949 Posts
I can always count on you Dave for a good laugh....and a HillBilly remedy. But please, please, whatever you do, never ever divulge what you do/use for hemorrhoids or an itchy butt!
I ain't stickin' no beaver liver up my hind end!:vs_laugh::vs_laugh:

·
Super Moderator
17,224 Posts
I can always count on you Dave for a good laugh....and a HillBilly remedy. But please, please, whatever you do, never ever divulge what you do/use for hemorrhoids or an itchy butt!
Beaver liver or LIVE BEAVER?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I tried spraying an ice cube with Pam once....it didn't work

·
Banned
1,303 Posts
Oragel....

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you ever find out the issue?

It happens to me all the time. Ive given it a rest and come back, cigars still taste like cardboard/metallic/burnt and the aroma isnt there anymore or is annoying. Some days are good, some days are bad. I notice when cigars taste bad, their smoke doesnt smell good either. They always go together in my case. I believe it has to do with allergies or sinus infections. I have lots of plants and trees on my house and when it gets windy I sneeze alot and have sinus issues, and this could be the culprit of my "dead palate." For me a davidoff would taste the same as any cheap cuban sandwich out there. I bought some air purifiers and I'll wait for the improvement on the upcoming days.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.