Which Pipe Do You Prefer

• Bent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
1,473 Posts
I have 8 pipes that have a 1/4 bend or more, and 23 pipes that have a 1/8th or less (I consider 1/8th bent pipes like the Zulu shape to be straight). I will say that it is much harder the get a badly drilled straight pipe than a badly drilled bent... I mostly buy the straight just because I like them... of all my bent pipes, there are only 2 that I smoke regularly, the rest of my regular smokers are straights... I think most of the reasons people prefer straight or bent are simply esthetics, but there are a few functional reasons as well. If you prefer to clench your pipe, and like to read, work on the computer, watch tv... than a bent pipe would probably be better, but if you like to hold your pipe than a straight pipe is fine.

· Deviant Gentleman
551 Posts
I am starting to get more into pipe smoking and would like to know the pros and cons of both and why you prefer the one that you do.
Greetings Matt, welcome to Puff! I prefer bent pipes to straight, mostly like Nick said, because of aesthetics. I have more straight pipes than bent though, if you include cobs. I like my cobs straight, mostly for aesthetics too. One of my bent pipes has moisture issues and so I smoke my drier blends out of that one. It's a full bent pipe. My other bent pipe is a small half bent that smokes just great, but the bowl is awfully small. Good for the strong stuff!

My straight pipes are quite good smokers too, and I really do love my Falcon. I smoke it almost daily, and it has become my go-to pipe for my walks to the University. The big bowl packs plenty for my stroll, and the straight shank/stem is nice for clenching AND tipping my hat to the lovely ladies.

· Registered
7,623 Posts
I didn't vote, as I like both. One thing about bent pipes is less stress on your teeth if you clench, plus you can see into the chamber better while lighting. But I wouldn't give up either style.

· Covfefe
2,513 Posts
I didn't vote, as I like both. One thing about bent pipes is less stress on your teeth if you clench, plus you can see into the chamber better while lighting. But I wouldn't give up either style.
I couldn't vote either.
My collection is prolly 50/50
and I don't have a preference.
(not a clencher.)

· Sot-weed Bohemian
8,944 Posts
I voted for straight. I don't like full bents much, since for some mysterious reason the few full bents I've had smoked wet and didn't pass a pipe cleaner well. (I think my microcephalic head doesn't look quite right with a full bent, either.) I have a couple of half bents that smoke pretty well, plus a smallish, full bent Szabo that's a decent smoker. There's also the gigantic Tim West that is unclenchable regardless of the full bent. I seem to like quarter and eighth bents (if you can call an eighth bent a bent pipe at all), I guess for aesthetic reasons. I'm not sure a quarter bent is enough to help with clenching, but maybe. I have only four briars that I smoke regularly that are actually straight (much to my surprise -- I never noticed!), 6 counting a prince and a Bari Dana with small bends in the stem. My Forever Stem is straight, though, and I have neither a General nor MacArthur. So I guess I have 6 bent and 12 straight, with two of the straights having slightly bent stems.

Just a question of my own here -- what's a Dublin/Zulu, a quarter/eighth reverse bent? (I don't have a Zulu. sigh.)

· Registered
362 Posts
It's just a matter of preference. I like bent shapes. Being able to look down into the bowl while smoking is a plus for me.
I'd say it's a bit easier to get a pipe cleaner through a straight shape, but that's not a big concern for me.

· True Derelict
4,989 Posts
I voted for the bents for looks, but thinking about it and smoking them, I like both. There is just something about the big freehand bents that I find pleasing.

· LOB Nut Job
1,890 Posts
I'm not a big time pipe smoker, more into cigars, but I do have a few pipes laying around (maybe someday I'll try out a few more things...lol). I prefer a bent pipe though, mostly due to aesthetics, and I just like the way it holds in my mouth better than a straight.

· #1 McClelland apologist
673 Posts
Personally, I prefer straight pipes for both aesthetics and for ease of cleaning. I'm generally not a "full time" clencher but I don't find my straights any less uncomfortable than my one full bent...

but then again, it is a 7.5oz meerschaum!

I like Nick S's point about the straights standing a better chance of a good drill, but as you move up the price-point ladder, that likely diminishes.

Smoke what you like, I say!

First post and a poll, no less! Well played, sir!

· Registered
2,520 Posts
I tend to like the look and feel of a straight pipe better. In fact, the traditional straight billiard is probably my favorite shape. However, I have plenty of bent pipes that are regular smokers too.
Agreed. Not many people seem interested in straight billiards anymore. I just love them to death. Straight billiard, lovat, or dublin; every pipe I love could fit into these categories.

· Codger In Training
4,891 Posts
My first pipe was a bent MM filter cob. Since the stems are interchangeable within the same "class", I've stuck with bent filters for my cobs (though I don't use filters in them). Aesthetic reasons only....and the convenience of being able to switch stems on them.

I found myself wanting a straight pipe, since I didn't have one, and picked up a Dr Grabow Big Pipe. It's a great pipe.

I think straight pipes are slightly easier to clean. I used to find bent pipes to look nicer, but I like both now, TBH. IDK....probably a slight preference for bent. I like the couple of straight pipes that I have, too....and I've been eyeing a few tankards lately :mrgreen:

· Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you! I have been looking into the straight pipes now cuz i dont have one, btw how do you like the meerschaum? ive never met anybody who has smoked one

· Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My first pipe was a bent MM filter cob. Since the stems are interchangeable within the same "class", I've stuck with bent filters for my cobs (though I don't use filters in them). Aesthetic reasons only....and the convenience of being able to switch stems on them.

I found myself wanting a straight pipe, since I didn't have one, and picked up a Dr Grabow Big Pipe. It's a great pipe.

I think straight pipes are slightly easier to clean. I used to find bent pipes to look nicer, but I like both now, TBH. IDK....probably a slight preference for bent. I like the couple of straight pipes that I have, too....and I've been eyeing a few tankards lately :mrgreen:
im in the same boat for wanting a straight just due to the fact i have never smoked/owned one

· Registered
1,473 Posts
I will add that when I first started smoking pipes I did prefer the bent over the straight, but now it is the other way around... I guess I got a little tired of trying to finagle a pipe cleaner down the stem, but it is no problem with a straight.

Jim - there are a few Zulu pipes for sale on ebay... I got a couple from there recently...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.