Cigar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad just purchased a few cigars a few days ago, and he told me that the guy there told him to store the cigars in the fridge. I told him that I didnt think that was a good idea, as they are supposed to be stored in like 70*f and 70% relative humid. So I was wondering what the truth was behind that? One of the cigars he bought was like a $6.25 Aroma de cuba(or something like that) and I was wondering what anyone though about those?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,743 Posts
Modern fridges will actually take out the humidity from the air. Some people will tell you that you MUST keep your cigars at 70/70 others like myself allow for a slight deviation,something like 74-76 and RH 65 to 72-73. Below 65 is too dry for me above 73 too wet. It's not an exact science. Unless you want to be anal retentive about it. About the cigars, I'll let the more experienced gorrillas answer that for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
You are right, they should not be stored in the fridge. Search this site for "tupperdor" and you will find some quick solutions to store them temporarily (or long term). He could also store them for a few days in a ziplock bag.

As for Aroma de Cuba, Ive heard of them, but not tried them.

GoatLocker
 

·
MoTheMentor
Joined
·
3,075 Posts
La Aroma de Cuba, IMHO (in my honest opinion) is a decent line of cigars, generally well made, rel. inexpensive, mild-med., smoke well with a sl. spicy/floral/earthy flavor. I personally like (and have an unopened box) of the DC; also got to try the Tubo over Thanksgiving and liked that as well. BTW, this brand is owned by Holt's cigar.

Now, as far as refrigerator use for cigar storage goes . . . ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! Refrigerators are a NO-NO. On the other hand Frigadors are OK. Dad will be better off using a freezer strength zip-lock bag and to store them somewhere out of direct sunlight.
 

·
MoTheMentor
Joined
·
3,075 Posts
MM2(SW)S said:
Mo I thought La Aroma de Cuba was owned by Altadis, not Holt's
Made by Altadis, at the Flor de Copan factory in Honduras for Holt's. See Cigar Aficionado's Article and scroll about a 1/3 of the way down the page.
 

·
Test Subject
Joined
·
2,651 Posts
Smoked a lot of La Aroma De Cubas ,Pyramids are my favorite of the lot . I lucked into a place where I can buy these good cigars for 40 bucks a box under the best price on the internet. The first inch is always a little harsh (maybe has to do with how I light them) and then it morphs into a nice creamy mild to med smoke..Hardly ever disappointed with them...

Jerry in Minnesota.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
Nely said:
Some people will tell you that you MUST keep your cigars at 70/70 others like myself allow for a slight deviation,something like 74-76 and RH 65 to 72-73.
Take a look at this: http://www.cigargroup.com/faq/#5.0a

A salient point is: "Cigars should be kept at 70% RH REGARDLESS of temperature or you WILL ruin them"

Now i do not subscribe to the 70% absolute, in fact i like mine a bit drier. The point is that the temp is not really important it is the RH.

Now, as everyone has said --- DO NOT store them in a fridge, the RH is way too low. Whoever told you this probably is under the misconception that low temperature will retard degredation of the cigar. There is no better way to ruin a cigar than to subject it to low RH REGARDLESS of the temperature.

_____
rm
 

·
Test Subject
Joined
·
2,651 Posts
Roger Miller" said:
Take a look at this: http://www.cigargroup.com/faq/#5.0a

A salient point is: "Cigars should be kept at 70% RH REGARDLESS of temperature or you WILL ruin them"

Now i do not subscribe to the 70% absolute, in fact i like mine a bit drier. The point is that the temp is not really important it is the RH.

Now, as everyone has said --- DO NOT store them in a fridge, the RH is way too low. Whoever told you this probably is under the misconception that low temperature will retard degredation of the cigar. There is no better way to ruin a cigar than to subject it to low RH REGARDLESS of the temperature.

_____
rm
Well now I don't know what to do...

Jerry, confused in Minnesota. (no big deal I'm confused most of the time)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah well I knew that was a mistake, and I told him before he stored them in the fridge. He will not know the difference anyway as he is a cigarette smoker and has never really smoked cigars before. So he will end up smoking it like a cig and come to me telling me it was a great stogie. Oh well thanks for the replys guys. btw the cigars have been in the fridge since sunday, it's friday now
 

·
formerly Jokieman
Joined
·
987 Posts
patio87 said:
Yeah well I knew that was a mistake, and I told him before he stored them in the fridge. He will not know the difference anyway as he is a cigarette smoker and has never really smoked cigars before. So he will end up smoking it like a cig and come to me telling me it was a great stogie. Oh well thanks for the replys guys. btw the cigars have been in the fridge since sunday, it's friday now
Be sure to tell him those Cigars are Pure Tobacco, and his cigarettes are loaded with chemicals to keep them burning and to keep them from going stale.

And tell him he's better off smoking 1 cigar a day than a pack of cigarettes. hehe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
Goatlocker said:
You are right, they should not be stored in the fridge. Search this site for "tupperdor" and you will find some quick solutions to store them temporarily (or long term). He could also store them for a few days in a ziplock bag.
That should be the best quick fix for your storage problem, as for the Aroma De Cuba, they are a pretty good med-mild, really strong at first then tends to level off, I like the smallest size for a quick smoke.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top