Cigar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Funky Monkey
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my new humidor and i am setting it up. Now my question is for storing cigars. I have read here that some guys take the cellophane and some dont, i have read both reasons, now for the ones that come in crystaltubes, or metal tubes, what should i do with those? should i take them out of the tube, or the tube doesnt affect? and the ones that come wrapped but sealed, should i openthem a little or will they be alright just as they come? Thanks

Carlos SAnchez

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I myself take my cigars out of the cello. I like to see a big bunch of "naked" cigars staring back at me when I open the humi. There are some good reasons to leave the cello on: easier on the cigar in shipping and you can get some kind of gage on the age by the yellowness of the cello.

As for the tubed cigars. I usually keep those in the tubes. If I think that the cigar will be in the humi for an extended period of time I will unscrew the lid of the tube so the cigar can breath. I don't know if this helps the cigar or not. But if you're not going to keep the cigar for years and years, it is perfectly fine in the tube (especially if the tube is cedar lined).

Hope this helps,
pjg

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I leave the caps and the cello on. I don't know why... but I do and haven't had a problem to date.

:confused:

·
Funky Monkey
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK thanks for the suggestions. I will try on putting some with the cello and put other naked. As for the tubed ones i will keep them in the tube. But what about metal tubes?? is it ok to place it inside even if it is metal?

Carlos Sanchez

·
Registered
161 Posts
glovepuppy said:
I myself take my cigars out of the cello. I like to see a big bunch of "naked" cigars staring back at me when I open the humi.
I do this as well. I can't say that my cigars are naked though, 'cause I let them wear those hot little tube tops they come in. :p

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Wetterhorn said:
I leave the caps and the cello on. I don't know why... but I do and haven't had a problem to date.

:confused:
I'm with Wetterhorn. I've tried it both ways & haven't really noticed much difference. I like to leave the cello or tubes on in case I wish to carry or ship some.

·
Registered
369 Posts
WillyGT -- As far as I know the metal tubes are fine for storage. In fact, I get the sense that MRN would probably see tubes as an advantage for long-term storage (of course this is the perspective of one Havanaphile). Tubes usually include a sheet of Spanish Cedar wrapped around the cigar. Many advocate taking off the caps to breathe the cigars though. I'd agree this helps if you want to smoke the cigars sooner. I kept a cigar in a metal tube that was sealed fairly well for three years. It seemed to retain a lot of the edge of a fresher cigar so maybe it helps to slow down the aging process. (This would be a good thing if you have WAY too many cigars.) There may be others who disagree and have plenty of experience to back it. I'm still learning this hobby.

I used to de-cello. These days if it comes in cello, it stays in cello. I may be crazy but I can sense a definite difference in the pre-light aroma of a box I stored 1/2 with cello and 1/2 without cello. Honestly I haven't gotten around to trying them recently b/c I'm too busy hunting down other cigars.

Hope this helps a bit,
E

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.