Cigar Forums banner

Stokkebye Luxury English

938 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  mike t 
#1 ·
I have yet to be disappointed by a Stokkebye tobacco. Commander Quan sent me a sample of this in my blind taste test, and I really liked it then. I just had 4 oz. show up yesterday from P & C and am smoking like a chimney.

English Luxury is a pretty tobacco, fairly broad cut with golds, yellows, and blacks. Moisture level is almost perfect right out of the bag. The smell in the bag is richly latakia and some sweetness nosing around the outside.

Smokes well out of everything I have smoked it in so far, this particular instance it's smoldering in an MM washington that sees the occasional english but is far from dedicated. Packs well, lights well, and smokes all the way to ash (which is a rarity for me actually).

It is delicious. Right off the bat you realize that the latakia is truly a condiment in this blend. I think the slight woody taste is likely orientals, with burley richness and VA sweetness. My first thought was how balanced the blend is, the same thing that came to mind when I smoked EMP, although this is clearly a different animal. All the tobacco flavors work in harmony creating a whole grater than the sum of the parts. As I type and it dies down I get that rich sweet earthy taste I associate with a slow smoldering VA, with the woody orientals accenting. Once I get the pipe back in my mouth after that fit of typing and draw several times the latakia shows up like the cool girl at the party, hangs out, let's the VA's buy her a drink and leaves just a lingering taste behind.

If anything, the flavors just meld more once the bowl gets past the halfway point. I am getting that slightly sour tart note in my nose that makes me think of the last part of a bowl of penzance, but different. Not the big P's little brother, but perhaps a nephew. Still tasy delicious, and still rewards both consistent puffing and keeping it at a smolder.

I have no great reference for room note, but my coworker who doesn't like englishes called this one "a little stinky" where Frog Morton drove him out of the office.

I can unreservedly reccomend this tobacco, and see it likely being one of the first englishes I would offer a new pipe smoker. I have paid it the highest compliment I can give, which is a labeled jar on the dresser with the other "keep it full" blends.

Two cobs up

See less See more
#5 ·
I love the PS blends. This isn't one of my favorites, but PS makes some great blends. They are't blow-your-mind excellent, but they are very good and are great for buying ass tons of it to have it around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.