Cigar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
X Canadian
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this goes on too long, they'll have to bankrupt the NHL, dissolve the teams and start all over again.

As an NHL fan since I was 8 years old I would like to thank the following:

Commissioner Gary Bettman for expanding the league into non hockey markets. Carolina, Nashville, Florida

The owners for signing player contracts that create an environment where every 30 goal scorer thinks he should be getting paid millions.

The owners for paying players so much that tickets have gone through the roof in recent years. My Kings tickets have gone from $35.00 per seat to $75.00 per seat for the same seating area.

The players for not being smart enough to realize that Hockey is still for the most part a Canadian game and that if they want to make it an American game they will need to make it accessible to everyone that wants to see a game. $75.00 ticket prices don't cut it, TV coverage doesn't cut it, non hockey fans cannot follow a puck on TV, if you're a fan you know that you can't watch the puck, you have to know where it's going. So without large market TV coverage and affordable tickets, the NHL should pull up stakes and call it a day. I'm sure that soemone with some Hockey sense (not Bettman) will pick up the pieces and make a go of it.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
(909) said:
If this goes on too long, they'll have to bankrupt the NHL, dissolve the teams and start all over again.

As an NHL fan since I was 8 years old I would like to thank the following:

Commissioner Gary Bettman for expanding the league into non hockey markets. Carolina, Nashville, Florida

The owners for signing player contracts that create an environment where every 30 goal scorer thinks he should be getting paid millions.

The owners for paying players so much that tickets have gone through the roof in recent years. My Kings tickets have gone from $35.00 per seat to $75.00 per seat for the same seating area.

The players for not being smart enough to realize that Hockey is still for the most part a Canadian game and that if they want to make it an American game they will need to make it accessible to everyone that wants to see a game. $75.00 ticket prices don't cut it, TV coverage doesn't cut it, non hockey fans cannot follow a puck on TV, if you're a fan you know that you can't watch the puck, you have to know where it's going. So without large market TV coverage and affordable tickets, the NHL should pull up stakes and call it a day. I'm sure that soemone with some Hockey sense (not Bettman) will pick up the pieces and make a go of it.
Amen, brother!

Now, of course you realize that the NHL owners and players will never agree to any of these common sense points!

:mad:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well Hockey ain't here this year nor will it be here next year at this rate.

As Guy Lafleur said last week the league should go backrupt and give every sports league a walkup call. Plus all the athletes a shove to realize that most all of the public would give their eye teeth just to play one shift, play, at ball etc to be in their shoes. Yes they maybe blessed with tlaent that the majority do not have but when it is a sport/entertainment should they get more money than doctors, soldiers, paramedics etc... ( people saving lives and really making life better for the masses).
:c
I have always felt that the money spent on the movie/entertainment industry and sports could have solved world hunger, found a cure for every disease and ailment known and unknown to man.

:c ...............And another thing............................. :c

Ahhh @&#% it I will just shut up and have a smoke.

That's my 2 cents worth (canadian)

Sorry for the soap box, I was on a rant

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Yes its a sad sad thing to not have hockey this year. No chance to see the Wings or the Caps or any of the other outstanding teams go for the cup. Sigh........ Maybe if we all keep our fingers crossed..... yeah, right!

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
I don't really watch any professional sports anymore.

NHL - sometimes (not this year)

NFL - ocassionally - I hate it when someone scores a touchdown or makes a tackle and act like they have never been in the end-zone or made a sack before. Don't get me started on ticket prices. And football fans....I have never seen so many fights than at the Ravens @ Redskins game last month. If I had a child I would be embarrased to take them to a football game. Danm Ravins fans cursing and spilling beer on me. :c

NBA - Don't get me started.

I'd much rather watch college football on a Saturday night. I don't have a favorite team just give me a good game with 2 rivals.

I am content making my annual pilgrimage to the best auto-racing facility in the United States to watch 12 teams with the most technologically advanced cars in the world compete for the F1 World Championship. For a little more than a ticket for one Redskins game I get 3 days worth of racing at Indy.

I hate to see what is going on with the NHL, I was looking forward to heading to a Caps game sometime.....You can keep the NBA and the NFL, I'm done.

You should see the looks people give me when I tell them I'm not really into football. Then again.....I'm a formula 1 fan in the US so I'm used to it :D

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Butch said:
Ahh, that's the problem. All we need to do is have someone in accounting "fix the glitch" and adjust all the player's salaries to canadian dollars!

This really sucks. :( I will be attending many semi-pro games this season. Go Gulls! Maybe a major shakedown like this will be good for the sport in the long-run. If not, it's sure great for Europen hockey leagues. They're seeing some of the best hockey they've seen in years.

SB

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hockey, whats that? :al GO Vols!
Sorry can't resist. Hockey is kind of like the NBA, everyone thinks they are worth millions and the ticket prices are way to high fo me to go on any regular occasion. That is a lot of $$ I could be spending on good smokes!

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
1f1fan said:
- I hate it when someone scores a touchdown or makes a tackle and act like they have never been in the end-zone or made a sack before.
Back when I was playing JV, on of our outside linebackers ran an interception back for a touchdown in one of our bigger games that year. Of course he had to highstep in and do his little dance.

Lets put it this way, he barely had crossed the goal line before our coach (probably the best coach Ive ever had) was on the field teaching him a lesson he never forgot...right in front of everyone. It was great.

·
X Canadian
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Butch said:
Well Hockey ain't here this year nor will it be here next year at this rate.

As Guy Lafleur said last week the league should go backrupt and give every sports league a walkup call. Plus all the athletes a shove to realize that most all of the public would give their eye teeth just to play one shift, play, at ball etc to be in their shoes. Yes they maybe blessed with tlaent that the majority do not have but when it is a sport/entertainment should they get more money than doctors, soldiers, paramedics etc... ( people saving lives and really making life better for the masses).
:c
I have always felt that the money spent on the movie/entertainment industry and sports could have solved world hunger, found a cure for every disease and ailment known and unknown to man.

:c ...............And another thing............................. :c

Ahhh @&#% it I will just shut up and have a smoke.

Sorry for the soap box, I was on a rant
:r I like the passion!!

Non Canadians don't understand that in Canada, there are no other sports. I was driving to St Catherines from TO last year and during the final game of the NBA semifinals, I could not find a sports station playing the game. I did find 2 sports stations talking about all sorts of hockey related stuff. So when I got to my cousins house I asked about the game and they said "basketball is for guys that have moved here from the states, nobody cares about basketball".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.