Cigar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so my son is hitting the age where he is interested in monster trucks and anything he sees advertised ANYWHERE. It started with a M&M commercial promoting the new dark M&Ms with a SW theme.

So for the last week he has been begging me to see Star Wars (I think he thought it was a cartoon with M&M characters) so tonight I convinced my wife I was going to "rent" the movie and get pizza. Swung by Best Buy and got the trilogy for what I thought was a good deal....now on to the movie

Episode IV-
I hadnt seen this movie in 20 years and I had forgoten how good the specials effects were. On the DVD there were some added scenes, on including Han Solo with Jabba the Hut. Being older, I actually followed the story line well, which has a lot of forshadowing.

Darth wasnt quiet as scary.

The sets they built for this movie were amazing. I am trying to figure out why they didnt follow this for future movies. All the computer generated stuff just isnt quite the same as a true brick and mortar set.

It is a great movie, great story line, good acting an A+.

·
formerly Jokieman
987 Posts
altbier said:
OK, so my son is hitting the age where he is interested in monster trucks and anything he sees advertised ANYWHERE. It started with a M&M commercial promoting the new dark M&Ms with a SW theme.

So for the last week he has been begging me to see Star Wars (I think he thought it was a cartoon with M&M characters) so tonight I convinced my wife I was going to "rent" the movie and get pizza. Swung by Best Buy and got the trilogy for what I thought was a good deal....now on to the movie

Episode IV-
I hadnt seen this movie in 20 years and I had forgoten how good the specials effects were. On the DVD there were some added scenes, on including Han Solo with Jabba the Hut. Being older, I actually followed the story line well, which has a lot of forshadowing.

Darth wasnt quiet as scary.

The sets they built for this movie were amazing. I am trying to figure out why they didnt follow this for future movies. All the computer generated stuff just isnt quite the same as a true brick and mortar set.

It is a great movie, great story line, good acting an A+.
Mostly because George Lucas has had a wild hair up his butt for all things digital now for about the last 10 years. It also helps him boost his company's products.

I agree, the older movies were better. And I'm one of those who was pissed about them changing it so that Greedo fired first.

It's just something that George will never understand. He still doesn't "get" why a lot of the old fans don't like the new movies. And quite simply it's because he replaced imagination with digital effects. -- and some of them extremely cheesy. (Like the Pear eating scene. that was horribly done.)

And after the movie comes out he's going to whore it out as a tv series (shakes head) Shame on him.

If this is what happens to people when they get old, I want no part of it.

:mad:

·
formerly Jokieman
987 Posts
LiteHedded said:
the dvds you rented have all new special effects
that's why they look better than you remember
lol
Actually they don't, there were maybe 5 minutes of movie that they added some effects to in each one, and I think ROTJ had like 1-2 minutes done. (the least of all of them)

Which is as it should be. Special effects should enhance a movie, and nothing more.

LOTR was a good example of how special effects SHOULD be used. They COULD have done everything in the studio, but chose not to, and it was a very wise choice indeed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.