Cigar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I have a question on staff reviews that go back a few years. Are they still appicable? For example, in Aug 2000, the staff gave the Opus X Perfecxion No. 5 a review of A-. If I go to the store tonight and buy one, will it be an A- quality cigar? Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
As it applies to Opus X, I would say absolutely! The only problem I have ever had with Opus(other than never having any on hand) is occasional burn problems.

·
-
11,412 Posts
2 of my last 3 (all of which have been gifts from great guys) have been totally lacking any flavor. i mean, ANY flavors at all. every once in a while, i'd get a puff of that Opus minty spice, but that was about it.

i have a few left, i don't know if/when i'll smoke them though.

my advice is to find some other highly rated cigars that are a bit cheaper and ready to smoke "now" as opposed to having them age for 4+ years to get good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I guess like anything, a staff review from two years ago may not be totally applicable to that same cigar if you buy off the shelf today. I guess cigar quality does vary over time.

·
Punch Suckling in Brain
1,116 Posts
They say it is the 'goal' of a premium company to do just what you are saying. Keep the flavor of a cigar in one year the same as the next. They do this not by keeping the blend the same, but having the know how of blending to keep the end result the same.

Though the one factor that can't be really taken into account is the overall preference of the market. Lets say the market as a whole goes for stronger/fuller cigars. Then it makes sense that the same cigar today will be just a bit stronger than the past years. Enough to make you care, maybe or maybe not.

If you are reading an older review and it looks like something that will appeal to you, give it a try.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Cigar quality can vary over time. The Staff Reviews at T25C are merely snapshots. Additionally, they are the opinion of only 5 - 6 smokers. I would suggest the Review Database at T25C as a much better resource for the public's view of a cigar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.