Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I was having a think (really not like me at all), when I began to wonder about the sporting allegiances of my fellow cigar lovers.

So who is/are your team(s)? Unless it's self-explanatory, please state the sport and location.

OK I'll set the ball rolling (oh the terrible pun, Malcolm- you have no shame).

My team is Saint Mirren FC, a soccer club from my beloved hometown of Paisley in Renfrewshire, Scotland. My British brothers of the leaf will know how woeful SMFC are, and are probably having a jolly good laugh! (Go on laugh it's warranted- we lost to Dumbarton at the weekend.)

Thanks, y'all!

CaptainCohiba.

·
Super Moderator
17,856 Posts
I'm a Browns fan. .NFL. . If you don't follow American football ,they're pretty much the joke of the league. The nickname for the stadium " the factory of sadness" kinda says it all

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the Cleveland Browns. I have a buddy here in Aberdeen who is an ex-pat from Cleveland. On matchday, he looks as depressed as I do. I call them the Cleveland Bengals just to annoy him. I'm sorry- I'm just a bad person. :)

·
Super Moderator
17,856 Posts
I live 25 minutes from Pittsburgh. I work downtown in the middle of steeler nation. Every week during the season is a real kick in the stones. Tell your buddy he's lucky he's over there and doesn't have to deal with jaggoff stiller fans every day. Cause every season is worse than the last.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I grew up walking distance from Shea Stadium so Jets games were a regular thing for me growing up. Watching Joe Willie was always pretty cool for me as a kid. So needless to say always been a Jets fan and since moving to Miami in '89 also got into the Miami Dolphins scene. It's been a depressing lot's a years although with Fitzpatrick its looking much better.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I live 25 minutes from Pittsburgh. I work downtown in the middle of steeler nation. Every week during the season is a real kick in the stones. Tell your buddy he's lucky he's over there and doesn't have to deal with jaggoff stiller fans every day. Cause every season is worse than the last.
Living pretty much in the city of a divisional rival now that's rough.

49ers, Blackhawks and Hawkeyes here thankful the Hawkeyes have had a great year. The Browns may be bad but they sure did put a wooping on Blane Gabbert and the 9ers this week.

·
Super Moderator
17,856 Posts
At least I can remember the 9rs dynasty years. You had Montana, Young, "the catch"..we had the drive, the fumble, the exit to Baltimore.. and those were the "good"years. We'll be battling for the first pick for the next couple years I'm afraid.

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
I mostly follow Major League Baseball and college football.

My hometown baseball team is the Atlanta Braves, always my favorite. Other teams attract my interest too, but it varies season to season according to their rosters and records.

My alma mater's University of Georgia (UGA) Bulldogs are, naturally enough, my favorite college football team. Big fan of the SEC (Southeastern Conference) in general.

I used to be a rabid NFL fan, but the thuggishness that pervades the sport has put me off it lately. That includes a sports media that applauds rapists and murders, while crucifying good role models like Tim Tebow - not that college ball is immune, but there is at least some semblance of standards of personal behavior. There's quite a difference in the fans too. College crowds are much more civil than the fans-in-the-stands at pro games.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I will admit I jumped on the Seahawks band wagon about 3 seasons ago. I don't ever think I will get off it now. Even with their poor start to this season I still was behind them 100% of the way. And watch out NFC Hawks are rolling.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I will admit I jumped on the Seahawks band wagon about 3 seasons ago. I don't ever think I will get off it now. Even with their poor start to this season I still was behind them 100% of the way. And watch out NFC Hawks are rolling.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
I'm with you on this. My girlfriend is from Seattle and we watched their agonizing defeat at the Superbowl together. Crazy game but one of the best I've ever watched. They totally smashed the Ravens recently but I wonder if it would have been a bit different if Flacco was in charge. He played for my hometown college team University of Delaware.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I used to be a rabid NFL fan, but the thuggishness that pervades the sport has put me off it lately. That includes a sports media that applauds rapists and murders, while crucifying good role models like Tim Tebow - not that college ball is immune, but there is at least some semblance of standards of personal behavior. There's quite a difference in the fans too. College crowds are much more civil than the fans-in-the-stands at pro games.
I tend to agree with your opinion. It ain't like it use to be.

·
Super Moderator
17,856 Posts
The NFL has been full of thugs and criminals . The Raiders in the 70s and 80s, the Cowboys of the 90s. The biggest difference between them and now is that it wasn't streamed to your phone asap,24-7.. I can't say when Richard Sherman is being interviewed I don't change the channel. But then you have guys like Watt.
As for college ball, I won't watch it. They make billions of off these kids. The regulations are so archaic : someone buys you a suit for an awards dinner,you lose your scholarship. Get bigger serving in the cafeteria, the school gets sanctioned.. all in all, my point is you can't get away w stuff that you could " back in the day".

·
Smuggler and Wookie
276 Posts
Japan for the rugby (but has there been a better team than this All Blacks team in 30 years? fecking amazing), Leicester for the club soccer (bring on the fairytales), tough call for the soccer internationals, but I'd like to see France bounce back - looking forward to seeing the Euros in 2016.

Fancying Australia for the T20 cricket world cup next year. Always and forever an NFL Patriots fan, and a Canadiens man for the NHL. Never much into NBA, but Curry has rare panache, so the the Warriors for the foreseeable future. Long a Pies man in Aussie footie.

·
Is the Walrus
681 Posts
Okay--here goes....

MLB - Washington Nationals
NFL - Pittsburgh Steelers/Minnesota Vikings
NBA - Los Angeles Lakers
NHL - Pittsburgh Penguins/Chicago Blackhawks
NCAAF - Penn State
NCAAB - Kentucky
MLS - DC United

·
Registered
137 Posts
NFL - Browns, Used to like the Oilers back in the day before they became the Titans
CFL - Eskimos
NHL - Devils, Used to be a Whalers fan before they moved

But I don't really watch any of it like I used to

·
Registered
171 Posts
NFL - Browns, Used to like the Oilers back in the day before they became the Titans
CFL - Eskimos
NHL - Devils, Used to be a Whalers fan before they moved

But I don't really watch any of it like I used to
I used to love the big whale...figures that they moved to Carolina and win a championship the next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
I used to love the big whale...figures that they moved to Carolina and win a championship the next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's almost mind blowing to think how The Browns v1.0 became the Ravens and won a Super Bowl & Hartford became Carolina and won a Cup after so many years of nothing

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.