Cigar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep a well maintained humidor, but had a problem with a couple of cigars. While smoking my favorite Montecristo # 3 the wrapper started to split right above the ring. I have had a few cigars split the wrapper. They don't feel dry. Could swings in humidity do this? Any insight as to why, or what I may be doing wrong?

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
too humid = swollen cigar = split wrapper = unhappy you

recalibrate or use a digital hygrometer. should help you keep better humidity. hope that helped

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes , thank you! I am using a digital. I checked its calibration and it seems to be OK. Let me ask you. This was a new humidor. There were times when the humidity would get higher then wanted. Could this have had some long term effects on the cigars? The humidity now is staying around 68-69%

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
If you gave them enough time to let off moisture, it shouldnt be a problem. but if not, they could still have a higher moisture content than the humidity level in the humidor, so they would still be a little swollen and prone to splitting. im sure there could be other reasons, and if there are, im sure one of the other guys on here will chime in. by the way, welcome

·
Registered
76 Posts
I found the same problem after I learned my hygrometer was messed-up. I'm beginning to beleive that 70% is too high for RH. My smokes had an easier draw at 63% with no splitting problems. At 69% the draw has tightened up and a few swelled and split just below the ash.

To early to be sure, but I'm thinking of shooting for an RH closer to 63-65% and see what happens.

Then again, it may just be a flaw in certain sticks.

K

·
Registered
258 Posts
I used to keep my Humidors at 70%+ all the time and have had the same problem especially with larger ring gauge cigars. I find that 63%-68% is much more cigar friendly:). It's not rocket science, but it does involve alot of experimenting ;) .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the great advice! :) I was considering trying a lower humidity. I will be experimenting! Thanks again all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.