Cigar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Have encountered a number of splitting wrappers on unfortunately some of my favorite cigars. Thought it was the fault of my, admittedly cheap humidor and analog hygrometer. Took my hygrometer to my local smoke shop and checked it against their digital hygrometer in their walkin humidor and it pegged a perfect 70%. So now I am fairly comfortable that my humidor is doing what it is supposed to do, so what gives? Anybody have any ideas? Frank B

·
Registered
17 Posts
You might want to check what you are keeping your humidification devices filled with. I use a wetting solution from JR Cigars that is pre mixed at a 50/50. A while back I ran out and just used distilled water for several months and I noticed that I had several of my Punch cigars unwrap and split. I have not had a problem since returing to the pre mixed stuff. Also.. you might have them TOO WET... if you over wet them.. they cannot absorb the excess moisture, especially if you recently put some new cigars in your dor and they may have been a bit wet from the box.

Just my observations.. far from a pro ;)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my el cheapo hygrometer was reading ambient Austin RH perfectly outside the humidor. I checked it against the walk-in's digital which read 70% and it rose from the ambient of about 45% to 70% in the walk-in. As to the humidifier solution I use the 50/50 mixture. I am beginning to think I might have not given the cigars enough humi time and they might have been shipped wet from the manufacturer. I have a problem with aging them,..I like to smoke the little devils too much. Frank B

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.