Cigar Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
From what I've gathered, if you're storing your smokes in their respective boxes, then it's not necessary. Nice, but not necessary. I keep my singles in boxes I've picked up at the local B&M, so they're set up.

You can get Spanish Cedar from Rockler.com, or bargainhumidors.com has a "custom" set up for your specific humidor.

That's all I know. HTH.

Scott"stillverticalonthelearningcurve"M

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You certainly don't have to. A lot of people just use old cedar boxes in the cooler to aid humidity and give it that nice aroma :)

If you do want to line with cedar, here's an online source of Spanish Cedar that a lot of people recommend:

Rockler.com

edit: Damn Scott"Imthefastestpostreplierinthewholedamnuniverse"M!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Ahh...great minds think alike!

Scott"fluffy"M

·
Definitely not a puff fan
1,804 Posts
RcktS4 said:
You certainly don't have to. A lot of people just use old cedar boxes in the cooler to aid humidity and give it that nice aroma :)
I agree 100%. I have been using a cooler and cedar boxes for quite a while and have no problems at all. I've collected enough cedar boxes that I have a set that pretty efficiently fills the cooler, and often I take smokes out of their original boxes (especially dress boxes) and put them into the cedar boxes I already have. I also have a couple of cedar trays I made out of old boxes that work great for singles.

With a cooler full of cedar boxes, I don't think the cedar lining would make a whole lot of difference.

Be sure and get some beads!

·
Registered
756 Posts
i have mine lined, didnt cost that much, a few bucks. but i agree with what was posted, if you are storing in cedar boxes, then there will be plenty of cedar already in the cooler.
jimmy
:tpd:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I agree with eveyone else, if you have enough boxes then you should be fine. I ordered some spanish cedar trays and keep those on the top of the boxes for all my singles. Works great and now I don't have to dig for the one I want to smoke!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I keep a 1x12 cedar plank as a floor in the bottom of my coolerdor. Not sure why, but I like it. I can tell you where to get it in metro Atlanta, but if you just start calling suppliers in the yellow pages and asking question you'll find somebody quickly.

bd

·
Registered
324 Posts
I recently made a coolerdor and I took the advice of just going to my local shop and buying (for $1 each) the empty Spanish cedar cigar boxes they have. This is the easiest and cheapest way to go, and just as effective as if you were to line your coolerdor with Spanish cedar. You can use the empty boxes to put singles or bundles in. When you buy a box of cigars you can just put the entire box inside the coolerdor. The Spanish cedar of the cigar box would be all you need.

So my advice would be to save your money on the Spanish cedar and use the money instead to buy more cigars!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not that it's exactly to point (and tough to follow Dutch's intro), but I bought a few narrow planks from Rockler to set my boxes on. I have a 120v computer fan in my coolerdor and I guessed that the planks would let air circulate under the boxes (though no idea if this is beneficial).

·
Registered
756 Posts
altbier said:
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the purpose of Spanish cedar is because it is one of the few woods that keeps humidity at what we prefer for cigars.
In a coolidor that has ectasy beads, or an active humidification process like Oasis, the assumption is that cedar is not necessary.
agree or disagree?
in a coolerdor you need some active humidification no matter what. the ceder just keeps/holds the humidity helping keep it high, thus maintaining more consistant levels and so the humidification device doesn't struggle to keep up.
cedar is not neccesary if/because you have plenty of cedar in there with the boxes.
jimmy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gotta a Large cooler that sealed well. Went on the internet at CI or Cbid picked up the 20 wood boxes for 40 bones. Took the nice ones gave away the rest. Mooched for more. Jammed all my singles and fivers into them. Labeled them nicely and in they go. Few weeks later that cow pasture bouquet wafts out of the coolerdor everytime I lift the lid.

Beads take a month between recharge if I oogle my smokes everyday. 2-3 months if I cut it to the weekends.

G

·
Just ask your local shop if they could save you some sheets of cedar. Most cigars are boxed with thin cedar dividers seperating the rows. We hang onto these sheets at my shop incase anyone wants them. They also make great makeshift stick matches when we're out of the real thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.