Cigar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off to clarify - this is NOT a for sale post, simply an informational post & I hope I am following the rules. Mods, if I have done anything wrong here, please delete & let me know what so I can correct it for the future. I'm not at 100 posts here, and don't plan to post anything about actually selling these here until I can post in the FS forum.

Recently, I have been playing with the idea of DIYing Wineador drawers, and found another BOTL on Reddit from my hometown who had the same idea. We got together with the common goal of building drawers for our own wineadors, now that project has snowballed into a full on manufacturing operation so that we can fill a void and save people from overpaying or waiting 6+ months to get their wineadors up and running. Most of the details are finalized, a few are not. Here are some of the mockups of our designs, and we do have an informal business name - Fine Cedar Creations (FCC).

Design:

• Our drawers and shelves will not look similar to anything else on the market - We started with a design similar to others, but then changed our design to go with a simpler, stronger, and more polished layout.
  • All of the wood is Spanish Cedar that we source from a large local supplier - they have enough on hand to make almost 300 sets of drawers, giving us a great deal of stock to choose from.
  • We felt after looking at other products currently on the market that they used improper construction methods and joinery. Even though these drawers aren't holding up a ton of weight, but we still believe that traditional finger joints and dovetails would offer the best combination of structural integrity, visual appeal, and simplicity.
  • Instead of 3/8" slats for the shelves & drawer bottoms, we are crafting our own 1/8" plywood from sheets of Spanish cedar veneer - no other woods as filler. More on this below.

Ordering details:

• We will be selling our drawers on Etsy - accepting pp and credit cards
  • We're going to be taking ten orders at a time - once ten orders come in, our store will show as 'sold out' until we finish & ship those ten
  • We are currently only able to guarantee that our shelves/drawers fit in the following fridges (we are interested in expanding this list):
    • NewAir AW281E
    • KoldFront 28
  • There will be three options for sets - the price is $260 + shipping regardless of what set you order, and there will not be a rush option:
    • 4 double drawers and 2 shelves
    • 4 double drawers, 1 single drawer, and 1 shelf
    • 5 double drawers, 1 shelf
  • Shipping costs are TBD, but we plan to limit shipping to the CONUS at this time
  • Because we are only accepting ten orders at a time, we will be making drawers in batches. Due to that, if your one of the first orders in the batch, your wait time may be a bit longer than if you're the last order in the batch.
  • There will be five available wood options for fronts - anything but cedar will be an additional cost (additional charge amounts not finalized, and we're also currently ensuring none of these woods offgas):
    • Spanish Cedar (default, no extra charge)
    • Curly soft maple
    • Black walnut
    • Cherry
    • Bubinga
  • Lastly, Jake & I will not be able to do this forever, so get your drawers while you can! We will most likely only be taking orders for a few months - it isn't something we can keep up indefinitely so once the demand dies down, we will be closing up shop. I'll post more details as we have them, and the drawers for the first sets are currently cut and waiting for finger joints to be cut and final assembly! The shelves are glued up, we just need to finish the plywood & they'll be finished.

Wood shop shots here.

Some FAQs from our reddit thread:
  • Why aren't you using solid 3/8" thick cedar for the drawer bottoms & shelves? Plywood seems like a cop-out.
    • Fair warning, this response is about to be rather technical.
      We arrived on making our own plywood for many reasons. The first of those being that it simplified the amount of joinery we had to cut and fit. Forrest's design is great that in uses solid spanish cedar and no veneer. The problem that I had with it was the time consuming aspect of cutting all that joinery in the shelves, and drawer bottoms. That is personally not how we work. Now the next logical step would be to just use a piece of solid cedar, with slots cut in, for the bottom. The problem with this method is those slots leave the cedar very weak, a technical term called short grain. The are a bunch of Spanish Cedar plywoods available on the market but the use other wood and just have an outside layer of cedar. When we cut the slots out for ventilation, we wanted to see cedar through the thickness of the bottom. The only way to achieve that, and remove and sort grain issues, is to make our own plywood.

Before I address the joinery, picture a piece of wood as a bundle of straws. The end grain of the wood the ends of the straws with the holes. If you were to put glue on the end of this bundle, the glue would flow right through the straws. The end grain of wood functions nearly the same. With that being said, we felt that if we were going to build and sell sets of these we wanted there to be as little end grain glueing as possible. This would allow myself, as I am very meticulous in my joinery and construction methods, to be able rest easy knowing this would hold up the test of time
  • What do you expect your timeframe to be?
    • At this point, the wait is really going to depend on how quickly we get 10 orders once we officially open up shop. Especially for the first 10, we can't buy the wood until the orders come in. If we open it up and get 10 orders in an hour, we're probably looking at a couple weeks for production, then shipping. And I'd say at this point, we could be a week or two from that happening.
      Obviously these are all rough numbers - we've still got some smallish things to work out - the top of that list is shipping. We're trying to keep cost down as much as possible for everyone, and keep the process simple on our end so we can deliver quality product quickly. To us, if that means it takes an extra couple days to do prep, so be it - it will save everyone time & money in the long run.
  • Will you be doing a 'rush processing' option?
    • No, not at this time. We aren't here to make obscene amounts of money off of this - we're trying to help BOTL get wineador drawers. That said, even our 'normal' production time is expected to be well under a month, making each set to order.
  • Why are you only offering options for two fridges?
    • There are two major reasons for this: first, we wanted to keep this process as simple as possible, especially as we start things up. These two fridges seem to be the most popular & readily available on the market. Second, we only have access to those two fridges at the moment. As I mentioned above, we are going to be creating a google form for people to fill out & give us specific measurements for their fridge, and then we'll be assessing which model(s) we support in the future.

· Registered
4,409 Posts
Best of luck Pete and Jake
It looks very interesting and I like the batches of 10 idea.
Pictures of the finished product will help this along.
Looking forward to seeing these in some BOTL's wineador filled with some tasty sticks

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad to have more competition and choices available for drawers. Best of luck with your business venture.
Best of luck Pete and Jake
It looks very interesting and I like the batches of 10 idea.
Pictures of the finished product will help this along.
Looking forward to seeing these in some BOTL's wineador filled with some tasty sticks
Competition helps drive each vendor to offer better products, as quickly as possible, at the best possible price. I wish you guys the best, and I can't wait to see pictures of the finished product!
Thanks guys! We're excited to show the product once it's finished. I'll be sure to update everyone as we move along, and hopefully by the time we start selling I'll be at 100 posts so I can post in the classifieds here!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.