Cigar Forums banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts
Too many to list...OK. give me three things the I-phone does that is very important to your daily life. Things that a regular cell phone or your computer at home doesn't do.
Sure - first off, I ain't stuffing my iMac or Dell into my pants and carrying it with me :) Probably the number one thing about a smart phone is just that - it's a phone. It's small enough to carry in your pocket, yet powerful enough that it can do a myriad of tasks and functions that were once thought only possible on a desktop PC.

1. Camera. I have both a DSLR and P&S, but they're cumbersome to carry day in/day out. The best camera is the one you have with you, and I always carry my phone. Photography is another hobby of mine, so the myriad of photos apps I use (instagram, camera +, photobucket, etc) all contribute in way way or another.
2. E-Mail. Both work and personal. Don't know about you, but e-mail is the main communication vehicle for my job.
3. Calendar/Address Book - Similar to e-mail, meetings are constantly scheduled for work. Calendar synchs with Exchange for work and my Gmail personal calendar. Viola. One place to view them all and coordinate.
4. Alarm Clock - Phone replaced my old alarm. Bonus, allows me to schedule alarms for work days, weekends, and whatever else I dream up.
5. To Do list - I use Orchestra, which synchs to the cloud so I can view my to do list on my phone, or at any PC I can log into. I carry a Moleskin for notes as well, but leave it at work.
6. Music/Podcasts - Enjoy music, enjoy podcasts. Relating to cigars, Blowin Smoke, Stogie Geeks and Cigar Authority are all good podcasts. Sometimes fire up a podcast, light up, and virtual herf :smoke2:
7. Health/Fitness - I could stand to loose a few lbs ... hence, I use Nike+ to track my activity via Bluetooth, Livestrong and Lose It to track and lookup calories on the fly while I'm out and about.
8. ESPN Fantasy Football app - self explanatory
9. Google Maps - i use this often to compliment my Garmin. Faster to lookup POI's via Google then it is via Garmin, then just input the address. Has saved me time and gas money plenty of times ...
10. Shopping apps - Price check apps (e.g. Amazon) has probably saved me hundreds if not thousands of dollars over the years (not exaggerating). Simply scan a barcode, and viola i can see price deltas between what is being sold online vs. the B&M. 99% of the time, it's cheaper to buy online. For higher priced purchases, I do it all the time.
11. Games - self explanatory. Sometimes, you gotta kill time with mindless gaming ...

I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. Now, all that being said I also believe in proper etiquette. There's a time and place. Conversing at the bar with friends, having dinner with family, etc. the phone stays in the pocket. I also try to minimize my online time while on vacation. I get more then enough for my job to last multiple lifetimes, since it is essentially my job (I work in online and mobile product development) :mrgreen: Cheers!

I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. Now, all that being said I also believe in proper etiquette. There's a time and place. Conversing at the bar with friends, having dinner with family, etc. the phone stays in the pocket. I also try to minimize my online time while on vacation. I get more then enough for my job to last multiple lifetimes, since it is essentially my job (I work in online and mobile product development) :mrgreen: Cheers!
Now you hit the nail on the head. Most people have little to no etiquette. Movie theatres are like a bunch of fire flies when the screen lights up. People don't care if it disturbs you. It is the 'ME' society that has been created. Texting is killing people on the hi-way.

The ones that peeves me the most is when I'm talking to someone and, in the middle of conversation, the phone rings without consideration they answer it. This means whoever is calling is more important than I am. If I'm in conversation with you I will call back who ever called on my cell phone but I'd NEVER interrupt you in such a rude way.

Heath and fitness??? really? Put the phone down and go walk somewhere.
Music? I have loads without an I-phone. Camera? I have one on my cell phone and I have...a real camera.
Sports? I don't miss a game with my DVR. Shopping apps? I research that BEFORE i go shopping.
E-mail...my computer does that very well
Alarm clock??? Wow
Games ?... Pure dilly dally. Again..put down the phone and go walk somewhere to get some exercise.

You must admit (probably not) most of what you listed is...dilly dally. E-mail...fine I give you that one but a regular phone does that just fine. The rest is most all just dilly dally and your trying to justify the need for spending money on apps and I-phone.

I can do it from my car...

I can do it from a bar...

I can do it from a train..

I can do it from a plane.....on the runway ayway. ;)

Alright, enough with the Suess lol.

Convenience, Don...it's all about convenience. I've been in a parking lot next to a restaurant I've never eaten at, taken a look at the menu before I went in! Do you know how great it is to never miss one of my beloved St. Louis Cardinals games, if I don't want too? :D

That's the beauty of it. I don't need my home computer for these small tasks. It's right in my pocket! :dude:
I can dilly dally while I'm driving (hopefully don't kill someone)

I can dilly dally in the movies (it annoys people but...so what)

I can dilly dally in church (I sure God doesn't mind)

I can dilly dally while I'm golfing (doesn't help you're game)

I can dilly dally in the middle of dinner with my family (quality time)

I can dilly dally when I'm with you ( My I-phone apps are way more fun)

I can dilly dally when I should be exercising. (way more fun to dilly)

LOL that's a lot of dilly dally. I'm not here to convince you to get a smartphone - honestly, and don't take this the wrong way - I could care less if you did or didn't. Just like I could care less if you lugged your PC with you everywhere you went, went on walks with it in a backpack or decided it was better to spend no time on this forum cause it's, as you put it, is pure dilly dally. Your choice, your opinion. We just don't share the same one.

Now you hit the nail on the head. Most people have little to no etiquette. Movie theatres are like a bunch of fire flies when the screen lights up. People don't care if it disturbs you. It is the 'ME' society that has been created. Texting is killing people on the hi-way.

The ones that peeves me the most is when I'm talking to someone and, in the middle of conversation, the phone rings without consideration they answer it. This means whoever is calling is more important than I am. If I'm in conversation with you I will call back who ever called on my cell phone but I'd NEVER interrupt you in such a rude way.

Heath and fitness??? really? Put the phone down and go walk somewhere.
Music? I have loads without an I-phone. Camera? I have one on my cell phone and I have...a real camera.
Sports? I don't miss a game with my DVR. Shopping apps? I research that BEFORE i go shopping.
E-mail...my computer does that very well
Alarm clock??? Wow
Games ?... Pure dilly dally. Again..put down the phone and go walk somewhere to get some exercise.

You must admit (probably not) most of what you listed is...dilly dally. E-mail...fine I give you that one but a regular phone does that just fine. The rest is most all just dilly dally and your trying to justify the need for spending money on apps and I-phone.

Discussion starter · #65 ·
Why does someone buy a Vette? A Civic has four wheels, it'll get you where you need to go, but the Vette is a whole lot more fun. I agree though, texting in your Vette is a bad idea, but that doesn't change the fact that the guy bought the Vette because he wanted the Vette, & could afford the Vette. ;)

Cell phone etiquette is a entirely different thead. This thread has nothing to do with dilly dallying or the former, so let's get it back on topic now. :nod:

Why does someone buy a Vette? A Civic has four wheels, it'll get you where you need to go, but the Vette is a whole lot more fun. I agree though, texting in your Vette is a bad idea, but that doesn't change the fact that the guy bought the Vette because he wanted the Vette, & could afford the Vette. ;)

Cell phone etiquette is a entirely different thead. This thread has nothing to do with dilly dallying or the former, so let's get it back on topic now. :nod:
Let me tell you a story about a vette.

There is an elephant that fell into a hole in the jungle and couldn't get out. A mouse was meandering about and came upon the elephant and told him to sit tight, Ill be right back. The mouse comes back with a vette, throws a rope down to the elephant and pulls him out with the vette. The elephant is very thankful and tells the mouse he will repay the favor any day. Well wouldnt you know it that a few weeks later the elephant is out for a stroll through the jungle and hears a little voice calling for help. He looks down into a hole and there is the mouse trapped with no way out. The elephant straddles the hole and lowers his schlong and the mouse climbs to safety.

Moral of the story.....You dont need a vette is your schlong is big enough!

Discussion starter · #73 ·
So to bring you guys up to date... About a month ago I switched, purely out of curiosity & arrogance, to the GalaxyS4.

So far, so good! I have no regrets... It's about six one way, half a dozen the other IMO, however I'm in love with the larger screen now & don't think it would be possible to go back to the smaller iPhone screen.

Digging the freedom with app selection & customization too. Swipe to text is slowly winning me over & I'm becoming a fan. Camera is definitely an upgrade.

That being said, the iPhone is easier to navigate through, to me so far anyway. If they made the iPhone larger, I could even see myself going back possibly, if Apple can add a few bells & whistles that make it worth my while. What that could be, I have no idea lol.

This debate cropped up at work recently.
And as a former iPhone user (who's recently moved over to the S4) but still a self proclaimed Apple fanboy (love my iPad, lust over the Apple TV) I had to weigh in.

Below is how the debate played out:
TLDR: I'm an apple fanboy that loves my android phone.

As a quick bit of context…
The only reason I switched to Android was that my iPhone died a few months prior the the 5S announcement.
I wanted to try Android out, knowing that if I hated it - the new iPhone would be available soon.

AppleSide said:
You have to look at who the target audience is for the computers and devices. Apple targets people that want stuff to work right out of the box, with as little hassle as possible to be up and running. That's usiually within five minutes for a computer, an iPad, an iPhone or even AppleTV. Most of the customization comes in areas that people are most likely to customize and are good enough for the general populace. I can jailbreak my iPhone and further customize it, but I choose not to because I'm satisfied with the level of customization out of the box that Apple has afforded me.
My Response said:
Agreed.
I LOVE the S4. (I doubt I'll ever go back to Apple unless they do something FRIGGIN' AMAZING.)
But more on that later, to the point above …

When people ask me about iPhone vs. Android that's the first think I talk about.
I tell them. "My S4 is so awesome, so powerful, so in tune with what I need. It blows the iPhone out of the water. But I spent a day and a half getting it setup just right.
And while you can't customize the features of the iPhone much… you don't have to do all that. It comes 90% sexy out of the box."
AppleSide said:
I'm a bit curious of those that grabbed Android devices because they are "more customizable", how many actually take advantage of it, especially when a year or so down the road they can't upgrade their OS because their devices won't support it (as demonstrated by the currently fractured landscape that is Android). There are neat features on the Android, don't get me wrong, but none that I would want to switch to utilize. I like the fact that almost every device in my house shares their content, from the five or six phones, four iPads, 3 AppleTVs. I have never purchased content more than once and it's usable by all. In fact, I can stream any song that I have ever purchased to my phone without storing it locally, as well as any picture that anyone in my family has taken.
My Response said:
I do.
That's all I can attest to - but Anecdotally I've never met an android user that doesn't
I suspect the android users that don't… Quickly switch back to apple.

Here's two good examples.

1) I'm a cigar nut.
I have several humidors.
I have an alarm on my phone to remind me to check them every Monday night to make sure the humidity is ok.
But my phone knows to only set the alarm off if I'm ALSO HOME on a Monday night.
When I'm traveling it knows not to worry about it.
It amazes me that the iPhone doesn't allow for such a use case.

2) NFC
Another odd omission from Apple.
When I get in my car and put my phone in it's doc it automatically does the following:
- turn off wifi
- launch Waze (a traffic / nav app)

Then when I get to work and plug in my phone it automatically does the following:
- Turn OFF waze
- Turn ON wifi
- Check in via foursquare

Lastly - I'm unaware of any UNROOTED Android that can't get OS updates.
I admit I don't KNOW…. But, if that's happening I'd Wager big money that the bottle neck is the carrier not the tech.
AppleSide said:
But, let's get on the the fingerprint hacking. This, I kind of enjoyed... especially since Apple has never said the fingerprints can't be hacked. They are just like any other fingerprint scanner, albeit a better implementation (just pressing, not scrubbing over a reader). The "hack" in question, took three days to do and had to have access to the original phone for a period of time, using over a thousand dollars worth of hardware. To me, that's not really a hack. It would have been easier to swipe and try to hack the passcode. The fingerprint is meant as a quick access from the locks creen, and not much more than that yet. If you don't use the scanner, after two days it's back to having to use the passcode.
My Response said:
I happen to really like the fingerprint scanner on the new iPhone.
I've played with it… and it's awesome.
If I was an iPhone user I'd use it and love it.

But… It's not like a 4 digit pin is SO DAMNED HARD!
Also - I've also seen Mythbuster defeat high end fingerprint scanners verily easy.
So neat as it is…
It's not going to make me switch back and give up all the powerful stuff mentioned above.
AppleSide said:
But... from an innovation standpoint... forget the fact that the smaller MP rating on the IPhone 5S took some better pictures and was more consistent than the Samsung Galaxy higher MP camera. Forget the SloMo and Bursting, Image Stabilization, Color Correcting Flash, Automatic Best Picture flagging... etc... The Samsung has a larger Screen. Heck... if you want a larger screen, then maybe the Sony is the way to go. That's like holding an iPad mini next to your head for phone conversations.
My Response said:
I dunno about that.
My twin brother has the new iPhone.
I have the S4 so we get to do A LOT of hands on comparison.
… and again… I do still love Apple… I have no axe to grind.
Having said that…

The S4's camera compared to previous Apple models was FAR better in low light.
The new Apple camera is comparable, but despite the "more vs. bigger pixel" debates that rage online… my brother and I have yet to notice any real world winner between the two.

The SCREEN SIZE though… :)
I imagine the users of each device will enjoy the size they have available to them.
I was concerned I'd dislike the larger screen on the S4. Whilst an apple user it looked like a damned phablet to me.
But now that I'm an Android user the new iPhone screen looks tiny to me.

If I am any indicator of the rest of the world (and why wouldn't I be?) … ;) …I think once you get used to a larger screen it's hard to go back.
I seriously dislike surfing or gaming on the smaller iPhone screen.
(though granted I can't imagine using a screen much bigger)
AppleSide said:
Actually... I'm curious. Is this thread about the Operation Systems (iOS vs. Android), or about the devices themselves (Google, Windows or Apple)? There is a difference.
My Response said:
Yup.
And I think you also have to consider the eco-system.
You mentioned above "I like the fact that almost every device in my house shares their content, from the five or six phones, four iPads, 3 AppleTVs. I have never purchased content more than once and it's usable by all."

Similarly I Like that my Google Phone is so tightly integrated with my:
Gmail
Google Calendar
Google Contacts
Google Drive
Google Maps
Google Image Albums (Picasa)
WAZE
G+
GoogleTV (I have 2)
If you are user of the Google ecosystem online… Android is a beautiful thing
AppleSide said:
The Google Maps vs apple maps comments are pretty funny. Look around... there are a number of great sources that say that if Apple had not made Apple Maps (which I actually prefer), Google would have rested on it's laurels. That noise quicked died down, especially since they are actively improving their accuracy... something Google did not do until their maps were actively compared against Apple Maps. (How many TomTom vs. Google Maps comparisons have you read about?). I believe Apple did a fair job coming from not having any experience in the industry and making something fairly usable in a short time... just like the iPhone.
My Response said:
I think people blow the apple maps issues way out proportion.

But by the same token, saying that Google would have stagnated if Apple didn't do X isn't fair.
It's borderline silly, and certainly not based on any actual data.

Google has been releasing updates to maps (and almost everything esles) that they've been working on for YEARS.
So this is clearly not true.

Also - Google is trying to give people internet from Balloons… BALLOONS!
They don't strike me as the kind of company that "Rests" when the could be innovating.

2) NFC
When I get in my car and put my phone in it's doc it automatically does the following:
- turn off wifi

Then when I get to work and plug in my phone it automatically does the following:
- Turn OFF waze
- Turn ON wifi
Are you using an app to do this? Or NFC tags?

2) NFC
- turn off wifi

- Turn OFF waze
- Turn ON wifi
Are you using an app to do this? Or NFC tags?

Here is where it might seem that I take my luddite/traditionalist/conservative outlook a bit too far, but I like a phone that can make and recieve calls, and leave taking photographs to a camera, and computer stuff to a computer. I know it might sound a bit silly since I love a good computer (desktop, not laptop) but it is just how my mind works I guess. I have felt the itch to get a smartphone recently though, but I would absolutely draw the line at one of those silly pad things.

I don't think you should switch from your iphone. I watch people buy the iphone in droves mostly because it is the "in" thing for them to have .I not being interested in being in the in crowd, will use my smartphone with a larger screen, faster processor, better cameras, and typically walk out with it for less than the newest iphone model. LOL all that said switch because Apple releases products that really are not cutting edge special with technology that is usually available on something else already.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.