Cigar Forums banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts
I consider myself tech selfish, I only use what works for me. I have Apple, MS and Android stuff. Love the ipad- Android tabs are alright and I really don't have any interest in the MS tabs at this point. Love my Android phone (except the cracked screen)- like iphone too but couldn't live without swype. Love my macbook, but have some pretty expensive software on my PC and like customizing (and I am not splitting my processing power with parallels or rebooting between programs). That said, my next desktop will probably be a mac when I can justify upgrading adobe suite and some other stuff.

My whole point- we live in a time where there is tons of great tech around. Everything will do most of what anyone needs it to. Fanboys live in a world of big ego and denial as if their self worth is tied to a brand- it's silly. Apple makes great products and a cozy ecosystem. Android is more flexible and multitasks better. MS has more options, software and to many is the standard. Tech is a tool- like a hammer- use what feels good to you.

End of Manifesto

Oh, but I forgot the title of this thread is "Someone give me a good argument to switch from my iPhone". Just comes to show how attached we are with our iOS devices. OK let's see, let's count the ways...
1. Most useful apps come free by default on the Android.
2. Open source and no sandbox environment allows you more freedom and flexibility on the Android, if you're into tech stuffs and mod.
3. Expandable memory with microSD card slot on the Android
4. Removable battery, if you cannot stand your batteries being sealed in as in the iPhone
5. iPhone can be too user-friendly (not a fault, Apple has grannies to think about), giving the tech-savvy ones amongst us the feeling like we're playing with something from Fisher-Price.

If customization is a big factor for you, go to an android device, but you won't find a better working durable phone than the iphone. Nor do the others have any amazing features the iphone doesn't.

Freedom from apple!
With I anything you are locked into what apple says you can and cant do.
With android the customization possibilities are endless.

Discussion starter · #49 ·
Still haven't made the switch yet. Leaning Galaxy S4, but waiting to see IOS 6 before I pull the trigger I think. :playball:

Thank you for all who have chimed in! Good info here...

Discussion starter · #51 ·
Yeah, they're handy too...

I was thinking about trading in my Toyota FJ Cruiser for a Model T Ford also. :lol:

Probably going to go back to using candles also, these damn light bulbs are overated. :tongue1:

Discussion starter · #53 ·
Grumpy today Don?

It has saved me more than a few times... Do I need it? Probably not... Is it useful? Yes...

I take it you don't have cable either? Just read books all day? ;)

Not grumpy, just wondering.

As a matter of fact I don't have cable. I have a Moho Leaf antenna and get 54 channels for free. I also have a Roku box with more tv to watch than I had on cable. All in High definition. The antenna yields the best HD picture I've ever had.

NO cable bill How about that!

I obviously don't have an I-phone. I think the social aspect of the I phone is not good. People get lost in them like they are searching for something yet they don't know what they're looking for. Mesmerized by the technology.. Most of the apps are silly. Maps are good but I'd take a real map any time over trusting that thing. We used my buddies map to go play golf. The thing took us to a warehouse. Really great tool.

On the golf course the other day I looked up and noticed the sky was dark. I mentioned that it was going to rain in 5 or 10 minutes. The other three guys immediately pulled out their I-phones to check the weather map. After they delayed the game with their dilly dally sure enough it started to rain. All I did was look up and knew what the weather was going to do. They all needed their stupid phones. It was really pathetic.

Chicks dig android. Nuff said. :dude:

Seriously though, I've got the S4 and freaking love it. I can't say that it's better and an iPhone but I can guarantee that you won't be disappointed with one.

Still haven't made the switch yet. Leaning Galaxy S4, but waiting to see IOS 6 before I pull the trigger I think. :playball:
I'm assuming you meant iOS 7? In my opinion (although many apple fanboys would disagree) its without a doubt better looking than 6 & more functional to me. I almost gave up my jailbreak to run the iOS7 betas on my main device but I decided not to b/c i knew I'd miss the endless possibilities of my jailbreak. (BTW if you want its very easy to get the beta on your phone without a Dev account &/or paying for a UDID registration)

But i have to say the S4 definitely has beautiful aspects, like the camera and the screen's real estate yet i highly dislike the feel of it, plus i hate the driod OS in general. It just feels to cheap, fragile, and the stock OS is not appealing to me. It feels like a plastic body, and compared to the metal housing of an iphone just not as durable.

And its durability was put to the test in a youtube video with an iphone 5 and lets just say i wouldn't walk around without a case for my S4 if i had one.

As a matter of fact I don't have cable. NO cable bill How about that!

Maps are good but I'd take a real map any time over trusting that thing. We used my buddies map to go play golf. The thing took us to a warehouse. Really great tool.
Haven't had cable in over 3 years being a broke college student as shown me the ways of streaming everything online for freeeeeeee. I love it. Sucks for the makers, but hey I'm not paying either way so i might as well get to enjoy my shows whenever I want and never have to worry about missing anything. Only downside is HD is never a guarantee.

And tell your buddies to use google maps or buy the tom tom navigation app. Those two are much better. Especially google maps, as it is free. Apple maps is beyond terribly, although with their new acquisition of HopStop it should become much better, but we'll see. Clearly that didn't work out for them with iOS 6 and acquiring some of TomTom's Data.

I think this boils down to personal preference. I've got an old iPhone 4S, my son has a Galaxy S4. I feel more comfortable on iOS, my son prefers Android. I will say, the larger screen real estate is great. If Apple doesn't respond in kind (despite what Jobs preached about how it feels in your hand), I suspect more folks will jump ship. I know I'll take a closer look once the next hardware refresh cycle comes along.

Regarding what a smartphone can do besides make you an idiot ... well, I use it for so many things, there would be to many to list. We would be the most educated, well informed bunch of idiots to ever grace this earth :) In some ways similar to a cigar, I get great enjoyment out of technology.

I think this boils down to personal preference. I've got an old iPhone 4S, my son has a Galaxy S4. I feel more comfortable on iOS, my son prefers Android. I will say, the larger screen real estate is great. If Apple doesn't respond in kind (despite what Jobs preached about how it feels in your hand), I suspect more folks will jump ship. I know I'll take a closer look once the next hardware refresh cycle comes along.

Regarding what a smartphone can do besides make you an idiot ... well, I use it for so many things, there would be to many to list. We would be the most educated, well informed bunch of idiots to ever grace this earth :) In some ways similar to a cigar, I get great enjoyment out of technology.
Too many to list...OK. give me three things the I-phone does that is very important to your daily life. Things that a regular cell phone or your computer at home doesn't do.

Discussion starter · #60 ·
Too many to list...OK. give me three things the I-phone does that is very important to your daily life. Things that a regular cell phone or your computer at home doesn't do.
I can do it from my car...

I can do it from a bar...

I can do it from a train..

I can do it from a plane.....on the runway ayway. ;)

Alright, enough with the Suess lol.

Convenience, Don...it's all about convenience. I've been in a parking lot next to a restaurant I've never eaten at, taken a look at the menu before I went in! Do you know how great it is to never miss one of my beloved St. Louis Cardinals games, if I don't want too? :D

That's the beauty of it. I don't need my home computer for these small tasks. It's right in my pocket! :dude:

41 - 60 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.