Cigar Forums banner

somebody shoved MY cigars up THEIR nose & gave them back to me!

6K views 119 replies 53 participants last post by  mrreindeer 
#1 ·
WTF!

I'm just wondering why somebody would do this.

So, the wife & I and some friends were hanging out at a British bar/restaurant we love in Santa Monica over the weekend. Best Fish 'n Chips in the city. Seriously, amazing stuff. Despite what happened after dinner, I'm sure I'll be back for more of that damn fish.

After dinner, we're hanging at the 'small bar' at the back of the restaurant and chatting with the manager of the joint.

Turns out he used to be in the cigar business so I happened to have two on me in my case and I thought I'd hand them over to him to get his opinion.

Inside were a Gurkha G5 Avenger Toro (a tasty full-bodied $10 cigar) & a Fonseca Cubano Viso Fuerte Toro (just got this in NY on a recommendation, prob. $8 - $12 cigar, can't remember). Before I could do anything about it, he had taken one, then the next, out of the case and shoved one, then the next up his nose and took deep long whiffs (one at a time, of course, not both at once). As he said, 'to smell the ammonia' and by his determination, felt my cigars were cheap and therefore bad.

Then he handed them back to me and I'm seriously considering throwing out the whole lot, case & all.

Am I overreacting?

See less See more
#3 ·
Wait, he stuck the cigars in his nose? First, the bigger problem is that he complained about your cigars. In my book one should never diminish someone elses cigar to their face and should never put someone down for their choices. Secondly, if he stuck it up his nose to smell, then that is where it would remain because I would have shoved it back up there when he handed it back to me and punched him in the face. No, you are not overreacting.

#7 ·
So he shoves your cigars up his nose then insults them, I would have probably lit them them shoved them up his a$$ :2
Hey, remember, this is Cali, unfortunately, you can't light up inside - HA! :D I would have loved to though.

Wait, he stuck the cigars in his nose? First, the bigger problem is that he complained about your cigars. In my book one should never diminish someone elses cigar to their face and should never put someone down for their choices. Secondly, if he stuck it up his nose to smell, then that is where it would remain because I would have shoved it back up there when he handed it back to me and punched him in the face. No, you are not overreacting.
Yeah, I probably should have...but he was the manager of the place, would have certainly thrown me (and our friends out) and we were there to say goodye to a good friend who is leaving L.A. to go back home to New Orleans. Not to mention that two of our friends and my wife separated me from this bastard so I wasn't even close enough to him.

Indeed.

I would have kicked the pi$$ out of this guy. That's ballsy for sure. I got your back man!!
Thanks Scott; when you come out for a visit, let's grab some fish 'n chips, shall we?

#10 ·
I don't care how good the food is, if thats how the manager treated me, I'd never go back and I would tell everyone I know about the treatment was there. Someone craps on me at a place I am spending my money, I'm sorry, they don't get my business anymore. Who knows where he stuck the fish before you ate it!

#11 ·
I don't care how good the food is, if thats how the manager treated me, I'd never go back and I would tell everyone I know about the treatment was there. Someone craps on me at a place I am spending my money, I'm sorry, they don't get my business anymore. Who knows where he stuck the fish before you ate it!
Very good point. Guy didn't even think he did anything wrong, just added, 'this is how we determine a good cigar back home'. Didn't even buy us a drink.

#13 ·
Very good point. Guy didn't even think he did anything wrong, just added, 'this is how we determine a good cigar back home'. Didn't even buy us a drink.
I think this brings up a good point. Unless he was totally playing you, what if he honestly did not think he did anything wrong. Should he or the restaurant be blamed for a cultural difference?

Did you tell him that you were offended? Or did you let it slide? If you let it slide, then I don't think anyone has a bone to pick with this guy.

Personally I would have thanked him for giving me his opinion. Then I would have given him the cigars telling him that I would not smoke them now that they've been up his nose.

Who knows, maybe he was trying to scam a few cigars off of ya! :hn

#14 ·
This sounds like a reason to start smokinig larger RG cigars? J/K.

It was indeed bad form. I, most likely, would attempt to contact the owner by phone or email and let them know what happened. How they respond would determine whether or not they received any future businesss from me. I don't care how good the food is, if I'm treated badly, I won't be coming back.

#15 ·
That is crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so how did they smoke????
Best cigars I've ever had in my life. Tasted like a mix between English Breakfast, Earl Grey and Kidney Pie.

I think this brings up a good point. Unless he was totally playing you, what if he honestly did not think he did anything wrong. Should he or the restaurant be blamed for a cultural difference?

Did you tell him that you were offended? Or did you let it slide? If you let it slide, then I don't think anyone has a bone to pick with this guy.

Personally I would have thanked him for giving me his opinion. Then I would have given him the cigars telling him that I would not smoke them now that they've been up his nose.

Who knows, maybe he was trying to scam a few cigars off of ya! :hn
Very possible. I'd like to see what some fellas here from across the pond think. Is this customary? To avoid a situation, I just let it slide. I should have given them to him, as you say, and told him that I wouldn't smoke them after he shoved them up his nose. But then the guy wins some decent smokes and a nice Xikar case damn it. Schmuck probably wouldn't have even bought me a pint in return.

#16 ·
This sounds like a reason to start smokinig larger RG cigars? J/K.
:r:r:r Love it.

It was indeed bad form. I, most likely, would attempt to contact the owner by phone or email and let them know what happened. How they respond would determine whether or not they received any future businesss from me. I don't care how good the food is, if I'm treated badly, I won't be coming back.
I think this is a very good idea; I'm still a little pi$$ed so I'll simmer & try to cool off for a few more hours & I guess I'll decide then. I don't want the fella to lose his job; I just think it was very bad form, perhaps a mistake.

#18 ·
You know, Gerard, I 'think' so (foot in, not cap), but I had had a few pints already myself and some of my friends were between us so I couldn't really be sure which end went in. What I saw for sure is that he put both of them far up in there and I remember asking myself 'Did that just freaking happen? Am I seeing this right?' and my wife who was right next to him later came up to me and said, 'That guy just put your cigars up his nose'.

What I should have done as well is....I should have walked up to him and said, "Hey buddy, do you want to stick your dicck in my wife too?"

#19 ·
Not to defend the guy becasue it sounds like he was a jerk and I would not continue to place any of my hard earned money into his pockets, but for the record, his nose was probably one of the cleaner places those cigars have seen. Let's not forget that most of our smokes are hand made in third world countries where cleanliness is not usually thought of as a main need of concern. It's far from the expectations of American food prep, even if it is intended to be placed in our mouths.

Like I said, not defending the guy but I've seen a lot of people get upset over the smelling of a cigar, not remebering how many hands and conditions those leafs have touched before ever showing up at a B&M.

Just a thought.

#20 ·
You know, Gerard, I 'think' so (foot in, not cap), but I had had a few pints already myself and some of my friends were between us so I couldn't really be sure which end went in. What I saw for sure is that he put both of them far up in there and I remember asking myself 'Did that just freaking happen? Am I seeing this right?' and my wife who was right next to him later came up to me and said, 'That guy just put your cigars up his nose'.

What I should have done as well is....I should have walked up to him and said, "Hey buddy, do you want to stick your dicck in my wife too?"
I smell the foot to get the aroma, and the cigar might even touch the nose, but to INSERT? Not so much

#21 ·
Like I said, not defending the guy but I've seen a lot of people get upset over the smelling of a cigar, not remebering how many hands and conditions those leafs have touched before ever showing up at a B&M.

Just a thought.
I can appreciate your comment; thank you. It's just that he didn't just smell it.....

I smell the foot to get the aroma, and the cigar might even touch the nose, but to INSERT? Not so much
Me too & yep, he inserted alright....DEEP.

#22 ·
This'll be just poor me in this thread but....

I know this to be a superb way of smelling or GETTING a NOSE of the cigar....

I do this very same thing to get an idea of the flavor of the cigar.

I have also experienced this method of tasting in several very large and very experienced stores and events.

If you think on it...makes a lot of SENSORY scent. Clost to the most sensitive area that does not transmit saliva.
Before I saw this thread I would say that this method of smelling a cigar was quite accepted and correct.

Regards
Tom

WITHOUT INSERTION :)

#24 ·
He didn't shove the case up his nose, too, did he? :r
Damn it, may as well! I figure it's been slimed since he pushed the sticks right on back into it.

This'll be just poor me in this thread but....

I know this to be a superb way of smelling or GETTING a NOSE of the cigar....

I do this very same thing to get an idea of the flavor of the cigar.

I have also experienced this method of tasting in several very large and very experienced stores and events.

If you think on it...makes a lot of SENSORY scent. Clost to the most sensitive area that does not transmit saliva.
Before I saw this thread I would say that this method of smelling a cigar was quite accepted and correct.

Regards
Tom

WITHOUT INSERTION :)
Thank you for this - so you mean, you INSERT the cigar right on up in there? I mean, can't you get the scent of the cigar just by holding it close to or even right on under the nose? What more can you get from inserting it? I guess I should try it? But perhaps not with these particular smokes...

#25 ·
Damn it, may as well! I figure it's been slimed since he pushed the sticks right on back into it.

Thank you for this - so you mean, you INSERT the cigar right on up in there? I mean, can't you get the scent of the cigar just by holding it close to or even right on under the nose? What more can you get from inserting it? I guess I should try it? But perhaps not with these particular smokes...
NO :)
I wrote this whilest forgetting that he inserted said cigar..
Inserting is not the way...
Touching to the nose is accepted...by me...
I often pull a celo back and sniff away at the foot

Tom

#26 ·
I'm sorry, I just cant stop thinking about fish n chips. Especially if they are the best you've had. I'm in so.cal, whats the place called?

And I cant imagine how confused Id be if some guy started shoving my cigars up his nose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.