Cigar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today is payday (woohoo!) and I headed to the B&M. The humidor didn't really have anything that called out to me, so I head to the pipe section. I grab myself a tin of both Peterson Irish and University Flake, along with a tin of Rattray's Marlin Flake. They all smell soooo good, can't wait to pop a bowl in. Well the advice I'm looking for is how do I handle the Marlin? It's a few long strips, folded over each other. They feel a bit loose, like they will easily rub out. I'm a bit scared to try cutting them apart because I don't want to do something stupid like completely destroy the flakes. Should I just keep them all together and cut off what I need when I'm going to smoke it, or should I cut it all at once and lay it all on top of each other? Oh, and this tin was received on 10/27/09!! Already over a year old! Thanks for the advice and reading my wall o' worried text.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Never smoked any Marlin so I'll leave it to others to advise, but the Uni and Irish are two of my go to blends so enjoy! You're lucky to get your hands on those two locally, they've been strangely absent from the online vendors for a while now.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember that you're a University guy, John. That was one of the tins I sent your way in the newbie trade we did. I wanted to try it out when I got it, and was glad to see the B&M had it. I've had good luck with them so far. I was also able to grab some Dunhill Nightcap, Flake and Navy Rolls through them. Must just have good timing there.

·
FNSH Mod
1,239 Posts
Just pull off what you think you need to fill your pipe and either rub it out or fold/ball it up and insert it in your bowl. You can't really hurt it, just don't pack it too tightly. Try it both ways and see which way you prefer with this blend. You can't really do the true fold and stuff like most of the videos show due to the way it's made.

It's a somewhat broken flake rolled in kind of a ball for those who've never seen it. Similar to Astley's No. 109 or Wessex Brigade Dark Campaign Flake if you've experienced those.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just pull off what you think you need to fill your pipe and either rub it out or fold/ball it up and insert it in your bowl. You can't really hurt it, just don't pack it too tightly. Try it both ways and see which way you prefer with this blend. You can't really do the true fold and stuff like most of the videos show due to the way it's made.

It's a somewhat broken flake rolled in kind of a ball for those who've never seen it. Similar to Astley's No. 109 or Wessex Brigade Dark Campaign Flake if you've experienced those.
Sounds good. I'll try and leave it in the tin as longa s I can, lol. I'll probably end up pulling it all out just to look at it and breath in the smell at some point. It's tough having it sit on my desk at work and not be able to light any up...

·
FNSH Mod
1,239 Posts
Sounds good. I'll try and leave it in the tin as longa s I can, lol. I'll probably end up pulling it all out just to look at it and breath in the smell at some point. It's tough having it sit on my desk at work and not be able to light any up...
Hell, it's yours. Take it out and look at it and play with it. :scared:

You can't hurt it or cause it to be un-smokeable. If you pick it up it's most likely resting on one end of the rolled up flake and you can unwind it and tear off the size flake you think you need. That's your best bet for keeping it in flake form the longest anyway is to unwind it and remove what you're going to smoke.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Reiner's long Golden flake is another one you will probley run into one day, but those come in long strips.
best way to deal with Marlin flake is just tear off a bit you want to fit your pipe. another suggest is a old fashine straight edge razer blade that you shave with, very sharp to cut flakes, or to open tins.
just don't cut your fingers in the process, heheh
troy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts