Cigar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Some of the cigars in humi are very soft and spongy while other cigars are ok.
The humidity in the humi is 64% I also used beads and the humi has no leaks.

Are the cigars is over humidified?

Any adivce?

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
That is what it sounds like to me. Are your beads saturated/clear?? If that is the case you need to dry some out to absorb the extra humidity. You had a thread stating your analog was reading up in the 80's earlier, so depending on how long the sticks were that moist will dictate how long it will take to stabilize them. Definitely sounds like they need to slowly dry out a bit.

·
Pull my finger
523 Posts
If the soft cigars are all the same kind, it could also just be that they are a looser roll. I have some sticks in my humi that feel a little softer, and others that I swear you could drive nails with.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for the reply:tu These are the cigars that were in the humi when the humidity was in the 80's.
That's what I had figured, so I would try to gradually bring them back down to 65-70. Do it too fast and they are bound to split or burst. Just slowly try to get them back to prime smoking range. As far as the beads...Basically set and forget to a point. You will still have to keep them hydrated once in awhile, but mostly they will take care of themselves and your humidity. I try to keep mine in the 50/50 range (1/2 clear and 1/2 opaque), but others my do differently. If they are all clear then there is no way to remove the excess humidity. What RH beads are you using?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I never inspect my beads to figure out how much of them are clear/opaque. I just watch my digital hygrometer, and when it drops down by 1-2% and stays there for at least a week, I decide it's time to recharge the beads. A small fluctuation like that won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
the beads will remove the xtra moisture from your sticks slowly enough not to cause any problems-i'm probably wrong, but i thought that splitting or bursting was caused by adding moisture too quickly:confused:-regarless, the beads work slowly enough IME

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.