Cigar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone in the process of building or has built a smoking room in their home? I am thinking about doing something like that by closing in a sunroom extension with frech doors and putting in a ventilation system. I have been looking on the web for ventilation systems with little success (I admit that I haven't tried very hard). I figure I would turn to the Jungle for some info. Thanks!

·
Registered
756 Posts
i just finished of a room in my basement for a smoking room with a lot of help from a friend. for ventilation i just used a high powered exhaust fan i got from grainger. i had size and height requirements/limitations, so i was very restricted in what i can use. it is a little louder than i hoped but still not bad. hardly tell with the big loud ass tv blasting :D

anyway, one thing i can recommend is an air filter of sorts. i got one from these guys: http://www.air-zone.com/

and it works like a champ. each time i go back in there it smells like a fresh breeze has blown trough.

good luck!
jimmy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply Jimmy. Those are some good ideas. Did you get a HEPA filter from air-zone or did you get one of the Ozone generators? Also, what kind of door did you get to close off your room? I was looking at getting an exterior french door to use that has a good seal, as opposed to interior doors.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good luck on your smoking room!

I am working on my smoking room, and have done a little research.

In general, you control air contaminants by:
- source control (don't smoke...)
- ventilation
- filtration

Your ideas of an exhaust fan & exterior grade door sounds great. I have previously posted on exhaust fans & ozone generators:

exhaust fan
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?postid=24790#post24790

Csonka pro air care purifier (ozone generator)
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?postid=33644#post33644

I hope this is helpful. A couple of additional thoughts:
- if your sunroom has a ceiling fan, I would not run it while smoking. It may disturb the air flow to your exhaust fan.
- you may want to choose your room funishings (seating, floor covering) to minimize the potential for trapping odors.

Happy Smoking!

·
Registered
291 Posts
puros_va said:
Thanks for the reply Jimmy. Those are some good ideas. Did you get a HEPA filter from air-zone or did you get one of the Ozone generators? Also, what kind of door did you get to close off your room? I was looking at getting an exterior french door to use that has a good seal, as opposed to interior doors.
The way I understand it is that if you under-pressurize the room(create a vacuum) then there is no need for a good seal at the door. What you need to do is calculate the amount of air that would have to be removed from the room to create a vacuum, then buy the appropriate size exaust fan for the room size. You should also seal off and return air vents in the room if you have central A/C. Shoot me a PM and I can get you some more info.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Treyjo43
==============================================
Off topic, what is the Name of that Slurpy Bar in Savannah, that has a drink called "A CAB RIDE HOME" ? Havn't been to Savannah in a long time. Great CITY!!!!

I built a staing room for my humidors in my basement. Just used a small fan (4"x4") to draw air out of the room, and exhausted it outside. The little gaps around the door always had air flowing in to fill the void. Perfect, when the fan was running I CANNOT smell any stain vapor anywhere in the house.

MegaDor & BabiHumi

·
Registered
756 Posts
i got the xt400:

http://www.air-zone.com/models.html

my room is about 10x20. and it works perfectly. i love what it does for the room after i am done smoking in there.
i also have an exhaust fan built into the ceiling for immediate smoke removal.

no fancy door for me. just a standard new construction 3' door. i did seal all the corners with liquid nail and cauld before putting on molding and baseboard. i have had no troubles with smoking leaking upstairs into the living area.
good luck!
jimmy

·
Registered
291 Posts
MattK said:
Treyjo43
Off topic, what is the Name of that Slurpy Bar in Savannah, that has a drink called "A CAB RIDE HOME" ? Havn't been to Savannah in a long time. Great CITY!!!!

MegaDor & BabiHumi
Your going to have to be a little more specific, lotsa bars fit that description:r Seriously though, I'm not sure, I usually don't order mixed drinks at bars, but your right Savannah is a nice place to vist.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sirwood, thanks for the info. I ready your previous post. The room that I plan on doing is going to be about 8x10, so I don' t think that I will need a big fan. I would like to minimize the noise though, and insulating the ducts sounds good. The run should be fairly short as well, as the spot that I would be smoking is near that rear wall that faces outside. As for the doors, do they make interior doors that have weather striping? I would just want to make sure that no smoke escapes to the rest of the house. This is a must as otherwise the wifey wont approve. Yeah.....i'm whipped.

G

·
smoking room

Try Panasonic exhaust fans. I installed one in my smoking room thats about 10x10. Its a 180cfm fan and does a great job and is pretty darn quiet. I still have a little cigar smell but it takes the smoke out. My wife doesn't complain to much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
About 3-4 CA issues ago, they did an article on smoking rooms and mentioned a couple of ventilation systems!! I will try and find which issue and post it.. Good luck and Happy Smokin!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.